My first AVOYP — Blowin in the Wind by Bob Dylan (guitar + harmonica)

Each time I try to record something, I suddenly remember about the recording effect. Playing becomes 10 times harder and I constantly forget the words.

However, after a few takes, I managed to record my first public AVOYP (still mixed up some words).

I do not really remember whose lesson I used to learn it. Maybe this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ly4QVZFijzs
I also listened a lot to the original album version and took some embellishments from it.
In Justin’s lesson, he plays it differently, starting with the A form with the capo on fret 5.
I have my capo on fret 7 instead and play starting from the G form.
Harmonica is a D major diatonic in 1st position.

25 Likes

Ivan

Superb!! Brilliant cover of a great song.

Brian

1 Like

Lovely performance - especially the combination of singing, guitar and harmonica is great - great skilled performance!

1 Like

Fabulous Ivan! Loved everything- the playing, the vocals and the harmonica. Really well done!

1 Like

Wow Ivan!!
Sounded awsome.
Superb playing and singing. Loved the harmonica as well!
Well done!

1 Like

That was great! You should be very proud of yourself! That right hand never stopped!

1 Like

That was excellent Ivan.
Super enjoyable to listen to.

You really got that one down real good man.

Excellent guitar!
Excellent singing!
Excellent harp!

Great music!

Ya did pick a good song to do too btw. That’s the kinda music I like!

1 Like

Hi Ivan,

Great song that is and loved that version especially the little walk downs, the mix of strum and bass pick/embellishments. Harmonica was a great touch well done and well sung too. Lot going on there so hats off mate, really quite impressive. If there was one thing I might have preferred it would be to just slow it down slightly, but then I’m sure there are quite a few versions around at different speeds.

Well done mate :+1:

1 Like

Awesome job, well done!

1 Like

Congrats on posting up your first AVOYP, Ivan, an impressive debut recording. I especially liked the addition of the passing bass notes. Harmonica adds so much to these songs. You are doing well in pursuit of the aspirations you shared in your introductory post. Keep on keeping on.

1 Like

Terrific debut performance Ivan. The harmonica is such an iconic part of this and other early Dylan songs. You combined a great vocal with some really tasty guitar work too. The picked bass notes worked really well.
Well done, I look forward to more from you in the future.

1 Like

Well done !!! :+1:t2:
Enjoyed to watch your first video ! :clap:

1 Like

Oh this is wonderful.

You took an unbreakable classic and yet you poured something of yourself in it; like a subtle change in vocal melody and a very melodic harmonica. (Good control btw; I play a little harmonica and I can imagine the single hole notes while keeping solid guitar rhythm aren’t that easy :D)

Great job!

1 Like

Bravo Ivan, what a terrific first AVOYP. Early Bob Dylan with a harmonica - you’re hitting the right mark for me before you even begin playing! :slight_smile:
You have a lot of good going on here, the little bass note walking parts, a little alternating bass on the C chord, a strumming flourish in your finale. Superb stuff. And all done up at the dusty end of the neck where the frets get narrow. One question for you - are you able to play G chord using the weak finger grip yet? Going back and forward between G and C is made much smoother with that grip and it is used as the default choice in folk and acoustic style songs most of the time.

1 Like

Congrats on your first AVOYP Ivan :smiley:
Great job too! i really enjoyed the listen :sunflower:

1 Like

Ivan well done bro you are definitely multi talented.

1 Like

Terrific work Ivan - I agree with David and Richard - the little bass note fills add a huge amount to the performance. Seriously well done!

1 Like

I keep forgetting about AVOYP.

Ivan , I am very happy I saw your post, great cover and a reminder to me to consider using this medium myself. I find singing and playing so difficult but here you have added a third element and brilliantly, well done indeed

1 Like

I echo what everyone else says - that was fabulous. Showing your skill and having fun at it!

1 Like

Great job Ivan. Very enjoyable listen. Loved the guitar, harmonica and singing. :clap::clap::clap:

1 Like