Newbie at 63 - hello from Bruno in New Zealand

Hi. I’m Bruno from New Zealand. I’m 63. Since the age of 12 I wanted to play guitar. But I ‘wasted’ my teens believing guitar players were born not made.
Bought a guitar at age 20 but didn’t keep up the practise. Tried bass (only 4 strings!) Same thing.
Then at age 50 tried bass again. Forced 1 hour practise daily for 3 months. Finally got somewhere. Went to open mics and got into a band. Did gigs. Band split, got another band and gigged. That split.
Then finally decided to learn guitar properly on step-daughters old guitar. Grade 2 currently on Justin app.
Now at a plateau ‘crisis’ point where I could give up like I did at 20. But I won’t.
Thank you Justin. So wish i had this resource at age 12!!

21 Likes

Welcome to the forum Bruno

2 Likes

Welcome to the community Bruno.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum!

2 Likes

Lots of older folks on here. I didn’t start until I was 67. I’m 74 now. Check out the “can old dogs learn new tricks” thread.

2 Likes

Hey Bruno, welcome to the forum, always good to hear from kiwis. I’m very happily married to a Kiwi and did my first ever open mic at a cafe on the North Island. Good times. Look forward to hearing more from you, with the bass knowledge you have a great head start.

2 Likes

Welcome, Bruno. !'m nearly 62. Don’t give up, the fun is only just beginning :wink:

3 Likes

Welcome Bruno, always good to hear of a fellow old dog learning new tricks! :wink:

2 Likes

Welcome Bruno. Don’t give up, I’m 64 and just started grade 2 a month ago, we can cheer each other on!

2 Likes

Hello Bruno & Welcome to the Community!

As an aspiring 60 year old guitarist who’s been in Endless Beginner Mode for 20+ years, I hear ya! Good for you that you have a Bass-ics foundation under you but as guitar is a diff’rent critter, you’re going to plateau here & there! Keep on strumming, man! We’ve all been there (most of us more than once) & you’re going to see yourself improving again! This time, I have my guitar on a stand so I can pick it up when I have a few moments, like when the coffee :coffee: ( or tea if that’s your thing) is brewing or those last few minutes while something is finishing on the grill… also Justin’s app has helped since my phone is always handy…

Good luck & keep it fun!!!

Tod

3 Likes

Hi Bruno,
Welcome here and I wish you a lot of fun :sunglasses:
Greetings Rogier

2 Likes

Welcome Bruno!
Wish you all the best on your guitar journey! :grin:
And dont give up!! :v:

2 Likes

Welcome to the community, Bruno! :slight_smile:

Great you came back to learning the guitar. Your bass and band experience will probably help a lot. :smiley: Wish you loads of fun on the journey!

Cheers - Lisa

2 Likes

Welcome Bruno, and stick with it! You will not regret. Share as much as you are comfortable with, your guitar playing goals. I know a few Bass players who went int guitar playing, They all keep time most wonderfully, so that is half the battle one, they know how to keep the groove!^

2 Likes

Hi Bruno, nice to meet you. Good luck and keep going. Indulge yourself in a bit of fun play around you practice routine to distract from any crisis and before you know it you will be over the hump.
Best wishes,
Alan

2 Likes

To everybody who replied to my post, thank u so much for the encouragement and kind words!
Even at 63, I see it as a journey rather than a destination.
For each plateau there’s a joyful step in progress.
I wish you all the best in your journeys wherever thay lead
:sunglasses:

3 Likes

Hi Bruno,
Welcome to the community.
As others have said enjoy the journey have fun :slight_smile:
A

2 Likes

Hello Bruno, and a warm welcome to the community :hugs:!

You’re so right :smiley:. There is no final spot, peak, or whatever to reach. This will go on and on, as long as you want to. So, no hurry needed. Take your time, enjoy it, have fun :grinning:.

2 Likes

Welcome Bruno :wave: …you already learnt a lot…you know that tune… :notes:…went the distance now I’m not gonna stop, just a man and his will to survive…:notes: :love_you_gesture::wink:

1 Like

Welcome Bruno, I’m 62 and also at the end of G2. Despite all the rabbit holes and times I felt stuck, still ploughing trough.
You got this far and would be a pity if you stop now. You might end up regretting that.
You found this community there’s plenty of great people around here to give you some pep talk or advice.
Just have fun with your guitar.

2 Likes