NGB - (New Guitar Build)

I’ve seen a number of NGD celebrations in this feed, so I thought I would do a NGB (New Guitar Build). This is the 3rd acoustic I have built. It has a Western Cedar top and Indian Rosewood back and sides. I also did my first player sound port. My wife Jen named it ‘Midnight at the Oasis’.

22 Likes

Oh wow!
How does it sound?

2 Likes

Oooh that’s gorgeous, acoustics are next level for building, well done

1 Like

The cedar top gives it a warm tone and the rosewood produces a lot of overtones. So far I really like it for finger style and bluesy or darker style songs. The bass notes have great resonance so Travis picking works really well. I still prefer my second build with Adirondack spruce top and mahogany back and sides for most strumming songs. It has a brighter (happier?) tone.

1 Like

Gorgeous. Would love to hear it! Nice work!

1 Like

Thanks!

Beautiful guitar Mark.
Outstanding wood work.
Your obviously a very skilled word worker.
Ya gonna start selling them? You should, that is excellent work.
Can we have a listen to it?

1 Like

Thanks, I played it in the last Justin Guitar Open Mic because I couldn’t resist. It was a Jimmy Buffet tune that my other build is probably better suited for. I plan on putting a AVOYP with a more appropriate song soon.

1 Like

Thanks Jim, I plan to get a video out soon using it. You can also see it in the last JG Open mic video if you like.

I like cedar tops. I really prefer it on a classical guitar to spruce.
I tried, I think, only one model of an acoustic-steel-strings guitar with the cedar top, Maton SRS808, and really liked it too… You don’t see the cedar top with acoustic guitars a lot, right?

1 Like

Cedar tops do not seem to be as common on steel string guitars, but I have seen a couple of luthiers in YouTube videos that have done it with great success. I put my cheapest strings on it, 80/20 bronze, because I knew I would be taking them on and off again as I dial the setup in. I am anxious to try some low tension strings on it soon.

1 Like

I am probably going to have to start selling some, because I can only justify building so many for myself. :thinking: I am not really interested in making it much of a business though. I want to keep building and learning, but I don’t want to suck out the joy. Besides, I am 66 years old and not looking to work that hard. :wink:

3 Likes

What a beautiful guitar, happy NGB! The player sound ports look quite nice too.

Thanks Mari! I am enjoying the player sound ports. Since I am almost always playing for myself, it is nice to be able to hear the sound better.

1 Like

She’s so very beautiful! It must be a very special feeling to bring a guitar to life!

2 Likes

Thanks Sylvia! It is interesting, I just looked back at my list of videos, and it looks like I started working on the guitar about 6 months ago. All that time you don’t know if you are going to be successful, or if you will like it if you are. There is something about stringing it up and hearing it sing for the first time. Luckily I have been happy with the 3 I have built, and they all have a different voice.

Beautiful Mark, absolutely beautiful! I especially like your inlay work, the palm tree really evokes the oasis feel!
My Seagull Artist has a cedar top with a mother of pearl seagull inlaid at the 12th fret… my favorite 2 things about that guitar are the warm tones it produces & the smell of cedar!
Does yours have that woody smell? Love your success with this one!!!
Congratulations!!!

Tod

1 Like

Thanks Tod. My wife just verified that she doesn’t smell cedar. :thinking: I have very little sense of smell, so I can’t argue. :sunglasses: It does have that warm tone though.

1 Like

Interesting… I’ve had mine for years and still every time I open the case lid there’s a strong smell of cedar which happens to be one of my favorite aromas! Then, when I have been playing for a bit, the guitar warms from my body heat & the aroma is stronger! Maybe different types of cedar are different???
Building an acoustic is definitely on my personal list of things to do after I retire in a few years!
Anyway, lovely piece of work you’ve created!
Kudos to you mate!

Tod

1 Like

That is a beautiful guitar! Lovely inlays!
Quite an accomplishment.

I am a tinkerer, and really have wanted to build, but I have finally admitted to myself that I am an absolute hack when it comes to fine craftsmanship. Maybe if I take a class🤔

There is a guy here in the Denver area who is a retired nephrologist and lifelong guitar player and woodworker. A few years ago he retired and has made a few dozen guitars perhaps. He has a nice website and may occasionally sell one.

I reached out to him and he would build me a guitar of his design (unique) but to my specifications after meeting and figuring out what fits and what sounds best to me. All for a very reasonable cost, since he isn’t trying to make money, just not lose any.

Maybe that is a path you could take? Find local people who you can meet with and figure out a great instrument for them, build it at a reasonable cost and make them very happy while having fun with your hobby.