NGB - (New Guitar Build)

Thanks Joshua, that is the direction I’m really looking at. It would be nice to recoup a little of the cost of the tools I purchased, but mostly I just want to enjoy building guitars. I’ve also considered looking at charitable organizations that I like. Maybe it could be auctioned off or a raffle or something. Good luck on your new guitar build adventure!

1 Like

What a beautiful guitar you built, Mark. I love the details and of course the poetic name it received :palm_tree:

I immediately thought that’s the guitar you played at the last community Open Mic. Looking forward to a dedicated video showcasing it.

How do you choose the materials for guitars you are building? Do you have a special tone and character in mind? How close can you get to what you had wished for? Or…is it always just more or less a surprise as you seem to say somewhere above?

That is a good looking instrument Mark. It must be quite special to pick up and play something you know so intimately. Well done. I noticed this at the OM and enjoyed your performance. Thanks for sharing.

Absolutely beautiful guitar Mark. Your level of craftsmanship and attention to detail with the inlays is excellent. Would love to play one of your guitars one day! It sounded great at the OM.

@JokuMuu Thanks Nicole, almost everything I know about lutherie at this point is from watching other builders on YouTube. The first 2 I build were designs based on the Martin 000 and OM. I chose the materials for this one based on other luthiers I follow on YouTube. This is also an OM design. I knew that the cedar would provide a warm resonant tone, and the rosewood is known for providing lots of overtones. I really had a finger guitar in mind when I built it. It also works well with a pick, I just don’t tend to use them. As this is only my 3rd build, it is still a surprise.

@Malz Thanks Mal, it is very satisfying to play a guitar I built. I have a really nice Taylor 324ce that has been hanging very lonely on the wall lately. :wink:

@jkahn Thanks JK, if you’re ever traveling to central Florida you are welcome to take one for a spin. :wink:

3 Likes

Wow Mark,
:partying_face: :sunglasses:
Beautiful and great details :ok_hand:
Greetings

2 Likes

Thanks Rogier!

It is a beauty indeed and I think Jen picked a very fitting name. You can now officially rename your forum nickname to skillful lucier :smiley:

1 Like

Very nice guitar Mark @TheCluelessLuthier!
I also really like the inlays and the rosette!

Justify to whom… And why? Keep building man!:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

My wife, and I’m going to run out of storage space. :rofl:

I feel for you.
Well, that’s a valid reason.
Unless you can do some convincing that walls look better with guitar mounts on them… :joy:

2 Likes

Thanks Franz, I did change the logo at the beginning of my YouTube videos to ‘somewhat’, and then later ‘not so’ clueless so far. :sunglasses:

1 Like

You mean like this? :rofl: The 3 on the right are the ones I have built. I have run out of usable wall.

3 Likes

Looks good, Mark. You can almost give @TheMadman_tobyjenner a run for his money :rofl:

2 Likes

There are actually 5 stringed instruments not in the picture counting Jen’s 2 basses, a classical, my travel guitar, and a ukulele. :laughing:

2 Likes

That wide rosette with squares gives it a very expressive “african” vibe.
Love it!

Thanks @LievenDV , my wife calls it ‘organic’. :smile:

1 Like

Love the contrast between the Rosewood and the Cedar but that Rosewood colour is to die for. Another cracker Mark !
:sunglasses:

Thanks Toby!

1 Like

Hi Mark I’m new to this and struggling I’m on my first guitar build and on my 4th attempt at making my rossette, im working with 0.3 mm thick veneer strips and I find it difficult does this eventually work Mark ? cheers Hec