NGB - (New Guitar Build)

1 Like

To be clear, I am “Becoming” a luthier. Ergo, the “Clueless” part. :wink: I tried retiring a couple of years ago and missed doing something with my hands. I am a programmer by profession, but in my 20’s I was in construction. I started watching YouTube videos by a Luthier named Chris Alvarado at Driftwood Guitars. It was a series following a build of the 3000 year guitar. I decided to give it a try and ordered a couple of acoustic kits from StewMac about 2 1/2 years ago. It was good way to begin learning. My 3rd and most recent guitar was just a box of wood. So I bent my own sides, built my own neck, etc. I’m debating my next build now. I am considering a wood bodied or even electric resonator.

2 Likes

I am exactly the same Mark work accident last year aged 63 simple trip and its stopped me in my tracks, so back to my first love guitars , and I came across a great man in my opionion Jerry from rosa workshop he has inspired me no end, so I’m doing my first build with the help of Alex willis I bought his book and another great guy called Shane speal I have his book on making cigar box guitars I love them I make them and give them away, I actually sent Justin one, which brings me on to the main man Justin I have learnt loads from Justin and I support him as much as I can. so great talking to you Mark I will keep you posted on the squire if its ok so have a great day thanks HEC

1 Like

Bring it on Mark. :+1:

2 Likes

Absolutely, I am looking forward to see your progress.

Ok, one vote for the electric resonator. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Hi Mark and Friends bit of a weekend but I got there and to be fair not to bad, deffinatly as you suggested Mark small passes and take your time, also a must to me is to secure the guitar to the work bench, a lot can go wrong ive taken 38 mm away to leave about 3mm so the switches can pass through the front of the guitar and not a lot of room left for battery compartment. I may fit another battery in the back and wire it in series as ive been told they only last about four hours , this Is just a thought for now anyway on we go :relieved:

1 Like

2 Likes

3 Likes

a couple of photos in case it helps anyone cheers mark

1 Like

That looks good. A nice clean pocket.

well paint job not the best but I can only get beta tis is now ready to fit sustainer and re build also one for the girls and boys of our armed forces past and present I should have them finished in a week or two, it keeps me busy :smile:

2 Likes

Looking good Hec!

cheers Mark I hope it works :worried:

1 Like

Well Mark its finished ish , but still need to fine tune this sustainer I have my doubts its not exactly how I thought it would be :face_with_diagonal_mouth

2 Likes

It sure looks great! If the sustainer doesn’t work the way you want, you can always replace it. I had never heard of them before. I think you need to put out a video of you playing it. :grin:

Its a cracker !
:sunglasses:

I will do it but they need to be fine tuned and the spray jobs not to good, but ok considering what it looked like, the sustainer is being played on the community somewhere if you put sustainer in the search bar you will see one of the lads playing it, when I first plugged this one in it nearly rattled all my windows out, Wife wasn’t happy he he and it was hard work, I need to tweak it but I need a break from it to, but yeah its ok cheers HEC

1 Like

I love, love, love that color!