NGD telecaster build

So first box of bits have turned up, body, pickups and a few other bits.

Neck is ā€˜somewhereā€™ says upsā€¦

Hardware and electronics still on the way

Thereā€™s a few other bits I need to add also

Thereā€™s also been a change of plan on the layout, Iā€™m going SSS with the body and some pickup rings to mount so show the wood off more rather than cover with pick guard.

Iā€™ll be doing the build itself over the Xmas break so until then Iā€™ll be collecting parts checking fit, figuring out finishes etc

20 Likes

Whatā€™s the wood Rob? Bookmatched belly is a nice look.

2 Likes

Itā€™s black Korina, looks gorgeous, heaps of chatoyance

1 Like

Wowā€¦ Iā€™d never heard if it but has an interesting history in guitar building and seems to be highly prized.

Korina has been sought after, not only by luthiers over the years, but makers of ping pong paddles also claim that Korina gives a paddle blade more ā€œtop-spinā€ than other woods.

So the good news is that if you mess up the guitar you can always turn it into a ping pong bat. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

That is a beautiful body for your new Tele, Rob!!! Black Korina is a sweet looking wood & should provide the base for an amazing build! Do you have a plan for the finish yet? Youā€™re going to have a lot of fun with this project!!!
Good luck!!!

Tod

1 Like

No, something satin probably oil finish but not nailed on yet

1 Like

Iā€™m gonna say thatā€™s what gives it the toan with bends

I was watching videos on StewMacā€™s site about finishingā€¦ really interesting and informative stuff!!! It looks like the key is not cutting corners with sandingā€¦ you should check it out!!!

Iā€™m envious!!! Iā€™m definitely have to build a guitar somedayā€¦ probably after retiring.

Tod

1 Like

Ah didnā€™t realise they had videos will have a look!

Certainty will take it slow and do as much sanding as neededā€¦

This is a fun project but not great financially but I couldnā€™t find the guitar I wanted

1 Like

That Korina wood looks amazing! Good luck, that all the other parts will arrive in time and in good condition and wonā€™t get lost (ā€œsomewhereā€).

2 Likes

So the body has a contoured heel, tummy cut and arm cut, quite shapely for a telecaster with no hard edges

1 Like

Hereā€™s a link to one of their videos:

This is the heel cut on my new Teleā€¦ it feels amazing!!!

Have fun, Rob!!!

Tod

2 Likes

Iā€™ll watch that in a sec!

This has a standard bolt on neck so nothing quite so clean as that join, but it is contoured, will see how it works with aplace, otherwise will countersink the screw holes and chamfer some more.

1 Like

Man it certainly does Rob. Looking forward to this one coming to life. :sunglasses:

Whatever you do donā€™t paint it :scream_cat:

1 Like

aha no chance of that!

1 Like

Iā€™m probably biased because I have a butterscotch tele, but I reckon that would go well with the black markings.

1 Like

That is a lovely and very interesting looking piece of wood Rob. That should look sweet when it is finished.

Enjoy building it and donā€™t forget to keep us updated with photos please.

1 Like

Interesting pattern, nice :slight_smile:
R

1 Like

That is an unusual looking piece of wood. At first glance I thought youā€™d gone for a granite body. Donā€™t leave it on your kitchen counter otherwise you might never find it again.

1 Like