Nobody Knows You When You’re Down & Out

Great playing and singing John. There’s some hours invested here, clearly. The indivudal “licks” are quite clearly articulated and it’s clear that you’ve got this song under your fingers. Feel free to put it down. When you come back to it, I think you’ll find that the syncopation you want vocally will come much more naturally. Our brains need time to assimilate things. I almost always find that taking a break from a piece allows my brain some space and when I come back to it, the song flows more freely than when I was practicing it daily for chunks of time. . .

Well done. Enjoy the next adventure in sound!!

J

John, as good as this is, I can’t imagine where you want to be with it. Great relaxed performance with good tone, play and vocal. Totally enjoyed it.

@wiredforsound Kevin, thanks for your encouraging comments.

@MollyT I haven’t quite got the vocal placement as I want it but I’m glad you found it ok.

@Eddie_09 Thanks Eddie, appreciate your remarks.

@Elixir1253 Thanks, I’m happy you enjoyed the performance. I’m finding with this one I’m beginning to make new mistakes because I’ve done it too often recently.

@sairfingers Thanks Gordon, you saying it had a bluesy feel is very encouraging!

@beejay56 Thanks Brian, similar to Gordon’s comment, you saying it had a real groove is very encouraging.

@Socio Thanks James, for your great comments. I’m feeling very disturbed at the thought of spirit orbs floating around me and I can’t hear them. Maybe they just like blues!

@Avalon426 Thanks Jasmine, happy to hear you found it enjoyable.

@sclay Thanks Shane, great to hear you thought it good all round.

@batwoman Thanks Maggie, you have a way with words and you’ve made me sound very good!

4 Likes

@CD02 Thanks Craig, appreciate your comments.

@mathsjunky Thanks Paul, for the encouraging comments.

@roger_holland Thanks Rogier, since the audio version I put time into enjoying playing the piece and slowly trying to add the vocal.

@DavidP Thanks David, that’s very generous of you to say it’s next level. Not sure I deserve that but thanks for your continuing encouragement.

@LBro Thanks Lbro, for your great comments. I have to admit that it is not quite so effortless as it seems. Internally the cogs are spinning furiously.

Now I wonder what that might be :joy:
Thanks for your comments.

@Lisa_S Thanks Lisa, for your comments and I loved sharing the song!

@BigLuc Thanks Luc, for your comment…and your blessing!

@TheMadman_tobyjenner Thanks Toby for the nice comments.
I’ve changed the moniker back as some forumites were getting confused. It was Inappropriate as well, given I’m so far behind with BLIM, I’m not someone who should be flaunting my participation in it! I do love it though. Even with being as far behind the material as I am, I’m learning stacks of stuff that I would never have thought of doing. Do you find that?

@jgottwals Thanks Jeremy, what you say is very true. And thanks for your encouraging first sentence.

@oldhead49 Thanks Dave, for your nice comments. All I want from it now is I manage to place the vocals in a couple of places a little more precisely.

6 Likes

I am playing stuff I only dreamed of playing even last year. The whole process seems to have accelerated my learning abilities and I seem to be picking things up more quickly and remembering things that would normally evaporate a few days after learning.

Its a course for life John, so you can catch up in your own time. We all learn in different ways and also can only apply what free time we have to learning. As we always say just enjoy the ride.

:sunglasses:

Based on the comments, I suspect perhaps the only person doubting may be your good self, John :rofl:

1 Like

Well done John, great rendition of the song, great fingerpicking there, your fingers moved seamlessly over the fretboard.
Not sure many of us would have noticed the throat clearing, my tip from my former teacher was, never tell your audience you have a problem whilst your playing or singing a song, if you tell them they will lookout for it , don’t tell them they’ll probably never notice it.

Again, well done, thanks for posting it, Peter.