Nobody Knows You When You’re Down & Out

I’m spending too much time practising this song, which is distracting me from stuff I want to get on to. I think this is the most difficult song I’ve ever tried to learn, as far as singing and playing at the same time goes. I haven’t got anywhere near to where I wanted to be with adding a bit of syncopation to the vocal but I’ve got to move on!
Apologies for clearing throat moment!
And what is that strange white thing floating across the screen at about 20 seconds in?

Recorded with Quick Time using inbuilt mic of MacBook Air.

20 Likes

Excellent, John! You have my permission to move on :wink:
You have command of this piece, and your voice sounds awesome. I thoroughly enjoyed it!

:clap: bravo :clap:
That was really good - and I for sure didn’t miss any syncopation in your singing.
This song is such a tough nut to get down - so well done to you!

That was excellent John. Playing was really solid and great vocals which worked really well for the song.

Nicely played John, no mean feat with this one !
Syncopation sounding good to my ears.
Enjoyed your performance, well done … :clap: :+1:

… I hear you, … the law of diminishing returns, eh ? I have found leaving it for a month or two and then revisiting, assuming one wants to, a song gets “fresh eyes”. It doesn’t take too long to get back up to speed and can make it easier to concentrate on making improvements.
However, we are all different in how we learn, so YMMV.

That was really good John, so much to like there. Fingerstyle and singing together is no mean feat and you did it so well especially with that song which has some awkward phrasing. Great bluesy feel to that one. Well done.

John

Great rendition with a real groove to it. Well played, well sung, well done!

Brian

John, lovely playing and singing, a super rendition.

Either dust or a spirit orb… they’re here :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Very enjoyable John :clap:
Great song and well played and sung :smiling_face:

curious :thinking:

Bravo John. :clap::clap::clap:

Very enjoyable mate, and a great performance across every department.

Very clean, ryhthmically fluid, great touch and dynamics, and the perfect voice to balance it all out.
All that time is very well spent mate, as you’ll now be taking all that experience and skill development with you to the next song.

Cheers, Shane

What a lovely, smoky, evocative piece of music John. :clap:

1 Like

Hi John,

Nicely done, I thought. I think we are our own toughest critics sometimes.

Really enjoyed that John, great performance.

Hi John,
Please take a deep bow…great performance and extra fun with the video…I was already impressed by the audio version a while ago,and now even more…really great :man_bowing: :sunglasses: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Thanks
Greetings

Absolutely delightful John. I think just being able to play this as clean and smooth as you did is no mean feat. Throw in the singing and it’s seriously next level. Is it worth more time to get further independence between the playing and the vocla phrasing? You could but sounds like you are now satisfied, and well you should be!

Hi John,
In taking this in I am struck by how effortlessly you seem to be in play and vox. Your fretting hand to me is gliding around very smoothly. You make the hard seem simple and that is a great plus in my book.

Ah, but when to post and call a project “finished”. Sometimes I find on song productions that I am done before I feel the project is done. The project just seems to get to a point of being tired of the practice, fussing over it in all aspects and one is ready to move on. I do at times think I have been through the song so many times I am tired of hearing it and have to move on. You did a fine job and this one seemed to be more than post worthy, right to the point you got it to.

Hope the above made sense as I am groggy from just waking up. In summary you did a fine job and I am not sure exactly what could be gained by sinking more time into this fine production!

Take good care,
LB

Top drawer stuff John :sunglasses:
Now put that fancy fingerpicking and smooth vox to a song that I’d really like to hear you play :wink::rofl:

What a beautiful rendition, John! :smiley:

And it’s a tough one to get under your fingers, so you can really be proud of this achievment. It was a treat to listen to, smooth playing, top vocal performance. Thanks for sharing!

That was great John :exclamation: I’m sure you have everybodys blessing for moving on :joy: Thanks for sharing :pray: :pray: :pray:

That was great John and like the new image.

I can’t even sing over a standard 12BB shuffle, so to sing while playing this song is a great achievement and you play and sing it very well.

Excellent result after some sincere dedication on working on this one.

Have you changed your moniker again or is the other one just for BLIM ?

:+1: