Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown) by The Beatles Lesson

Learn to play Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown) by The Beatles on JustinGuitar!

View the full lesson at Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown) by The Beatles | JustinGuitar

what BPM should the metronome be set to at ā€˜full speedā€™

I have struggled with this as well. I use Justinā€™s metronome app and I do find it confusing to set the bpm in 6/8 or other times.
I think, and this is just my thinking, that if you set the metronome to 6/8 and the bpm to 2/3 of your goal you will be about there. I figured this out some time ago when ā€œNorwegian Woodā€ was actually on the song app.

My recollection, and I could be wrong, was the song was about 96 bpm, and setting the metronome app to 64 was about right.

I need help with the D/F# at 5:55. I canā€™t do it any way. If I leave the fourth finger on the D, I canā€™t get my thumb over to hit low E and I canā€™t reach up to do it with my first finger and keep my other fingers on B and high E. The best I can manage is first on low E, fourth on D, and second or third on B, but it sounds unbelievably crappy.

@MediumFrame Have you done the grade 3 D chord explorer lesson? Some tips in there.

You donā€™t need to fret the low E string with your thumb. The F# of D/F# in this case is the note youā€™re fretting with your pinky, i.e. the 4th fret of the D string. Watch how Justin plays it from 6:12 ā€“ no thumb involved.

Btw, that reach with the pinky (even without the thumb) is tricky and takes a lot of practice to master.

I agree, it is tough! I have been on this for quite a while and still canā€™t hold my first finger down on the 3rd string while also hold ing the 4 th finger on the 4th string and not muting the 3rd with it.
In the meantime, I just lift the first finger, but hope to someday improve the reach.
I am, however, noticeably closer to achieving this!

I saw he brought his thumb over and got caught up in agonizing over it instead of just watching the video for 20 more seconds -_- now Iā€™m embarrassed

Itā€™s still a stretch and I canā€™t really keep my second finger on e through that part, but at least I can continue. Thanks everyone.

Gosh, no need for that! Easy mistake to make, especially since D/F# really is usually played with the thumb on the 6th string.

BTW, hereā€™s a lesson dedicated to just this chord:

(hoping the Justin team will not object to this very specific, niche lesson from a fellow guitar teacher!)

1 Like

I think linking to an alternate guitar teacher is not kosher, just stick with the D chord explorer lesson I mentioned.

2 Likes

@jkahn , Itā€™s ok to link, as long as it does not duplicate one of Justinā€™s lessons (for example, another teacherā€™s video on how to play Wish You Weā€™re Here)

I asked for guidance on the linking policy here, and the mods responded:

That does help, thank you! The alternate fingering in #7 is the one Iā€™m trying to make work

at the very beginning: why is the g-string in the sixth fret played with a hammer on and not directly with a normal pick? Has the hammer on any advantages? The normal pick is definitely easier for me? :wink:

Same challenge with the pinky muting the 3rd string.

Nice video. The advice about hand position seems to be helpful. Iā€™ll try it for a few days with his pratice riff.

Just wondering if it is ok (in theory) to play with drop-D tuning (DADGBE)? It sounds good to me :grinning:. thanks

Welcome to the forum David
Yes you can play almost any song that is in the Key of D in drop D. Norwegian Wood being capo 2 is in the Key of E but uses the Chord shapes of the Key D.