Nostalgia for the 80s

Since the Karma Chameleon song lesson by Justin Iā€™m still deep in the 80s rabbit holeā€¦and that really is Wonderland :star_struck:
Todayā€™s mindful listening (after a long phase of compulsive listening) is to

I think I will make a fingerstyle arrangement with vocalsā€¦or at least I will tryā€¦while listening Iā€™ve been figuring out patterns and accents and restsā€¦
Ehā€¦easier said than doneā€¦but having some ideas seems already a good start :grin:

Any nostalgic ones among you as well?

8 Likes

Silvia

Peter Cetera: terrific songwriter and singer. All for nostalgia!

Brian

1 Like

:heart_eyes: thanks Brian for reminding me of this! I donā€™t know much about the songwriter but the song is terrific for sure!

Master of Puppets is the third studio album by the metal band Metallica, released on March 3, 1986. It was the last album on which bassist Cliff Burton played and is considered a milestone in the history of metal.

Orion brings up a lot of nostalgic feelingsā€¦ even for non-metal fans there are several moments and melody lines in it, which should be difficult not to likeā€¦give it a chance people :smiley:

Greetings :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Silvia

Peter was the main voice in Chicago and wrote / co-wrote many of their songs.

Brian

3 Likes

Now ā€¦I feel a bit silly :joy:ā€¦at least I could recognise the voiceā€¦but to be honest while listening I was keeping on thinking about Frozenā€™s backing trackā€¦you know the cartoon and how it sounds so simular to this! :joy:

Thanks for sharing this Rogier, this is really a good one that I didnā€™t know! Today I seem to have a very bad attitude and at a certain point in the song I started singing ā€œā€¦shine on your craaaazy diamond!..ā€ :see_no_evil::rofl::woman_shrugging::woman_facepalming:

1 Like

its not the 80ā€™s anymore , it was from 75 :rofl:

1 Like

:rofl: :joy: :rofl:

Iā€™ll tell Jeff @nzmetal ā€¦Hi Jeff :grin: :wave:

2 Likes

It makes sense itā€™s beforeā€¦they surely got inspired :rofl:

Itā€™s blues time. donā€™t get me going down the 80ā€™s metal (or hair band ) road!! :slight_smile:
This album has been in my frequent listening rotation sinceā€¦ around 1986. :wink:

2 Likes

Not the 80s but the 70s.

From 1976. Chicago - If You Leave Me Now.
This one came out not long after I met my new girlfriend. She was then going off to university and we werenā€™t sure if things would last the test of travel distance and separation. Sheā€™s now my wife of 45 years!
We still love that song and Donā€™t Go Breaking My Heart - Elton John and Kiki Dee from the same time and same teenage/20s angst. :heart_eyes:

6 Likes

Ya big softie, Gordon! :laughing:
Iā€™m still working on my continental dance moves a la Celentano :rofl:

2 Likes

Wow Brian some serious hip action there!
Please excuse Brian @SILVIA heā€™s always got to introduce a song no one else has heard of.

Did someone say music from the 80s?

In terms of radio and TV in the UK it was far too much manufactured pop and lots of music that did not speak to me.

There was, of course, this.

And an underground Americana scene that brought this from a band who became quite well known.

5 Likes

Ah, a kindred spirit! I have tix to see Peter Hook in September. :grin:

2 Likes

https://youtu.be/J9gKyRmic20?si=mOxXo1pEWE-N3ie9

From my senior year in high school. Iā€™ve always loved the guitar sound on this one.

1 Like

Hi @roger_holland! :wave: :smiley: :joy:
Great choice mate! Orion is a killer track! :metal: Not sure about the ā€œshine on you crazy diamondā€ similarity though, Silvia?! :thinking: :sweat_smile: But Iā€™m sure Cliff and Kirk wouldā€™ve been very influenced by Pink Floyd though :wink: :slight_smile:

And, a big hi to you too @SILVIA! :wave: :smiley:
LOVE the 80s! Some of my all time favourite bands/music came out then. Metallica, of course, but also Morbid Angel, Death, Bolt Thrower, Carcass, Slayer, to name just a tiny fraction. Metal exploded during that decade. But I was a bit young for all that then (born '79) so I mostly recall listening to albums in the 80s from ACDC, Springsteen, Dire Straitsā€¦ Madonna :face_with_peeking_eye: :joy: that my parents or older sister bought. So much of the 80s that I came to love, was all retrospective. Here are a couple of 80s tunes that I adore and definitely transport me back in time:

Lullaby - The Cure (1989)

Teenage Riot - Sonic Youth (1988)

And one final one from out of the Dunedin Scene (being my home city) that helped develop the indie rock movement in the 80s.
Pink Frost - The Chills (1986)

4 Likes

In the 80s I was listening to alternative/new wave stuff. Like INXS, The Replacements, Elvis Costello and the Attractions, B-52s, R.E.M., Blondie, that kind of stuff on radio station WXRT in Chicago.

2 Likes

Did someone say ā€œB-52sā€???

:laughing::rofl::crazy_face:

https://www.google.com/search?q=b-52s+love+shack&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:83037ac1,vid:hA49fkJ3wRw,st:0

Tod

2 Likes