Not all guitar heroes are shredders 🤣 - open mic performance of The January Man

I decided at short notice to pop along to our local arts centre’s OM on Friday night and put my name down :smiley:
It’s two songs each and I only had one (sort of) prepared for guitar, so warmed up by doing an a cappella of Christy Moore’s version of The January Man. (Someone recorded some of the songs for their fb page which I tried to share yesterday but couldn’t, so had to upload to YT)
Who needs a guitar anyway? :rofl:

20 Likes

Beautiful rendition Mr L. As you say who needs a guitar, even the sound engineer did a few early tweaks to push the audio, so must have been impressed. Great stuff sir !
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Oh wow, very courageous to do an a cappella song - no option to ‘hide’ behind an instrument. But you’ve got such a great voice, that this is not necessary for you :star_struck:.
Very well done :+1::clap:.

1 Like

Wow, that was awesome Brian! Congrats on that lovely performance. Couldn’t agree more with Nicole and Toby, with the voice of yours there’s no need for guitar to stand out. Man, you could sing me the telephone book of Berlin and I’d listen from A to Z. :joy:
Chapeau! :clap:

2 Likes

Impressive! Entertaining to say the least!

1 Like

@TheMadman_tobyjenner @NicoleKKB @Lisa_S @artax_2

Thank you all for the vote of confidence. Much appreciated :smiley:
We all have our Achilles’ heel and from the very outset of my guitar journey, I have employed vocals to ‘hide’ my struggling strumming :wink: (Other gimmicks have been tried too! :rofl:)
I was comfortable enough starting off but was surprised to find myself going a bit trembly towards the end.
My dear brother in Dublin is a good critic: “Nope, sorry Brother, but ancient Celtic funeral dirges not my thing! Just too depressing…. Sorry :frowning: But I’m glad you dressed up for your stage performance :wink:

The second song did not go quite as smoothly but was a good experience. Everyone else played electro-acoustics. I brought along my Trio+ backing programmed and played through that with a clean tone. I accidentally turned the tempo knob down a bit, so the whole song was slower than I had practiced. Ah well, live and learn :smiley:

4 Likes

Loved it Brian! This might be my favorite vocal performance I’ve heard of yours. Great job! :clap:

1 Like

Thanks, Jenny. That’s a lovely thing to say :smiley:

1 Like

Great stuff. Singing a capella is a great sign of confidence. And even better when you pull it off as well as you did

1 Like

5njclv

1 Like

Bravo Brian, that was a fine folk performance.
Mrs C spent many years singing traditional folk in folk clubs and that would have graced any club in any town or city. Many folk clubs have morphed to become open mics or have been assimilated within open mics and the unaccompanied singer is not so common these days. I prefer unaccompanied as a way of describing this style rather than a capella.

2 Likes

@tony Cheers mate,
Oodles of confidence in the ‘It’ll be fine and good fun’ department :smiley:
Less in the ‘It’ll be good’ dept. :thinking:

@CT
Dear [Clint]
Thank you for your comment. Your feedback is appreciated and important to [Us/Me]. It will contribute to building a more enjoyable user experience for others going forward.
This is an automated response. Please do not reply.

5 Likes

Cheers Richard :smiley:
Unaccompanied indeed!
I did ask my good friend Chris to come along with guitar/mandolin/fiddle for moral and musical support. The schmuck declined :angry:
I’m afraid my folk club exposure is limited to pubs in Ireland, where the term used would be
Sean-nós singing (‘in the old way’), although that would usually be in Irish.
Ta for the thoughtful comment :smiley:

1 Like

Hi Brian,
outstanding performance :sunglasses: :clap: :clap: :clap: :man_bowing: ,very brave of you to do this….and some people have a chain around their neck,you are carrying a guitar :sunglasses:

i see i am wearing the exact same outfit today…where did that go wrong :see_no_evil:

Greetings… :sunflower:

1 Like

I’ve seen Christy on four occasions. This is up there with any of his performances. No joke. Thank you.

1 Like

Glad you shared this here for all those who may not be subscribed and have missed it on YT, Brian.

And :star: :star: :star: for your posting in this sub-category

My go-to ‘gimmick’ has been to throw myself at the mercy of an incredibly encouraging and supportive Community, who continue to treat my efforts warmly despite all limitations of my playing and singing :rofl:

1 Like

Very brave and your best vocal, at least of the ones I have heard.

1 Like

Well done mate. Sounded good!! Its quite hard to sing something without any instruments backing you up… you did very well sir… ( why do you need a new hip Brian. It looked just fine the one you have :wink: )

2 Likes

Great job Brian glad to see you venturing off into the outside world with your axe on the shoulder, shame we didn’t see the other performance though with your string fellow in use :grinning: all the best!

1 Like