Nothing Else Matters [1/3] by Metallica Lesson

Learn to play Nothing Else Matters [1/3] by Metallica on JustinGuitar!

View the full lesson at Nothing Else Matters [1/3] by Metallica | JustinGuitar

So, I am struggling with the double flick off part in around the timeframe 2:40. In general I have been struggling with in string pull offs and flick offs. Any resources that might help me practice these skills so that I can play the song better ?

1 Like

@KunSam You may not think of Metallica as playing folk music … but this may help: Folk Hammer-ons & Flick-offs | JustinGuitar.com

Hope that helps.

Cheers :smiley:

| Richard_close2u | JustinGuitar Official Guide & Approved Teacher

1 Like

I like to have the gain cranked for this one, assuming electric guitar. Then play as if you have marsh mallow fingers.

• Then a pull off only requires the finger to stick a little as it’s coming off the string.
  • The down side is that you then have to be super clean, otherwise you’re going to make an awful racket - but this also can be helpful to your practice :man_shrugging:

(And slow it right down, get the mechanics before worrying about the timing).

1 Like

Sure. But my concern is that I have a very basic electric guitar rig. My guitar is a Squier Stratocaster with a HSS config. And my amp is Fender frontman 10G. And yeah, cranking the gain all the way up, and reducing the volume on the guitar itself gives a lot of static white noise.

1 Like

Sounds like a good setup to me.

Always trying to strike a balance between gain and unwanted noise. I don’t turn the volume down, just pick very gently.

Just work on it super slow, or if you feel like it is holding you back, see if you can skip over the lick and substitute with a single note or two.

Good luck, keep at it and it will come.

2 Likes

Is this supposed to be harder on an acoustic? I really love this song, but the double flick off just doesn’t seem to sound out, my thinnest string just feels too…loose? Ends up bending or not making enough sound at all. I can do normal pull offs and hammer ons tho, it’s just this combo. Any tips?

1 Like

I played this today the first time with the original record. For me the A minor chords state in chords tab at the end of each chorus sound really wrong To my feeling they must have been E minor chords instead. Please check. thx!

1 Like

Yeah, he’s definitely playing A in the lesson does this need looked at @Richard_close2u ?

Don’t subscribe for the tabs myself…

1 Like

I am highly satisfied with your tutorials in general, however, I am sorry to say that in my opinion this is one of the weakest I have seen from you. Without showing your strumming hand it is just a half armed giant.

1 Like

To be fair this lesson is very old in Youtube terms. I would say it’s close to 10 years old. I would imagine Justin didn’t have the budget to pull off one of his newer videos. I would like him to redo it also, one of the few songs I learned somewhere else.

1 Like

Hi Jill , @JillLabbe
Welcome here and I wish you a lot of fun :sunglasses:

If you have clicked Tab, is shown in the top left of the blue bar above the song title
CHORDS . TABS … You then have to click on TABS,
I hope I helped you with this,
Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

@JillLabbe Hello and welcome to the Community. Thanks for taking a subscription to TABs.
From the song video lesson, click on Tab below the video pane. By default it goes to chords & lyrics. Click on TABS to the right of where it also has CHORDS written and you will see this:

You’re right. The Tab will be that produced by the music publishers and not yet checked by Justin against his own transcription. He has a long term aim of cross-checking his TABs with those from the publishers but with well over 700 song lessons it is an enormous backlog of work. The actual TAB shows Em not AM. It is only the chord / lyric version that contains the error.

hello i just paid for an annual subscription but i cant copy the sheets with tabs.There is no option.