Ode to Joy

As part of the New Year’s challenge and for self-education purposes, I decided to play 12 classics or modern recognizable songs in easy guitar arrangements. Here is number one, Ludwig van Beethoven’s “Ode to Joy.”

19 Likes

That was very nice, Radek, I enjoyed it! I made a similar New Year’s challenge for myself, but I’m only going for 10 lol, I figure I’ll make it a little easier for myself.

If you’re looking for any input, my suggestion would be to work on the legato a bit, in particular the notes on the 1st string open and then first fret (first time at ~ 18 seconds). I think that will be difficult though, because generally you use the same finger for the same string, and I’m not sure if it’s doable (or a good idea!) to change fingers on the same string to get more smoothness. I’ve also heard the piece played many different ways, and my preference is to slow it down a bit at ~ 23 seconds and take a breath just before it goes into the next section. However - that’s just my personal preference :slight_smile:

Well played, and I look forward to seeing the next 11!

2 Likes

Nice Radek👍

1 Like

Thank you Mari. Yes, you are very right, it pattern here suppose to be mi (middle/index) throughout whole piece. I just forgot about it and went with the melody, such a rookie mistake :sweat_smile:.

2 Likes

Sounded good Radek! Will be interesting to hear the next 11 as you master them.

1 Like

You’ve got a really nice relaxed picking hand going on there,
Nice one👍

1 Like

Off to a great start with your challenge Radek. That was very soothing on the ears.

1 Like

Thanks JK. Not sure about mastering anything, being decent is good enough :sweat_smile:.

Thank you Eccleshall, now I have to do something about stiff left hand :slight_smile:.

Thanks! Hopefully I will manage to complete the challenge throughout the year.

1 Like

Great idea! I thought that sounded really good :+1:

1 Like

Hi Radek,
I already love those pieces of music from you :sunglasses: :clap: :bouquet:, but the problem is that they are always so terribly short :roll_eyes:,…and with the indicated adjustment that it will become even smoother,…I can’t wait :sunglasses:,… …and no need to opt for a Classics To Go
Top 10 Longest Classical Pieces ,but a little longer ,well,…but it is all fine :smiley:
Greetings,…

2 Likes

Hello Radek, what a fantastic new year’s challenge :star_struck:. That was very enjoyable, and I’m definitely looking forward to what the next month will bring :hugs:.

@SILVIA - this might be interesting for you :smiley:.

2 Likes

That sounded really good Radek! Bravo! I also have this on my list. I look forward to ear more when ready :blush: Thank you Nicole!

1 Like

Thank you most kindly Leon.

Thanks Roger. Well, you are right, majority of my content is below 2 min long. The reson or strategy is to build confidence by recording small pieces / shorts. I have failed on many longer songs due to overambitious attitude. Now the longer the piece goes the higher stress lever rises (progressively) and the failure is unavoidable.

Thanks for the recommendation to Silvia :sweat_smile: and kind words. I hope I will survive the challenge but also believe the potential learning benefits are worth the effort.

Thanks Silvia, really glad that you found this topic interesting :slight_smile:.

3 Likes

Wonderfully played Radek ! Sounds great. Keep it up with the challenge :slight_smile:

1 Like

I see finger-style guitar. I click like :sparkling_heart:

Love your playing. Would you mind sharing the way you record your guitar? I am always wrong, to my ears it seems like the video and the audio are separately recorded, as I noticed some reverb effect in it.

1 Like

Thanks Mathieu, glad you liked it. Looking forward your recordings :slight_smile: .

Thank you Vincent.
Sure, if you find this interesting I’m happy to share. Sound is captured through small condenser mic standing on low profile boom then it goes to Scarlet Solo and to the PC laptop with Adobe Audition. Post processing wise I usually do is multiband compressor, parametric equaliser, remove the noise and add bit of reverb but that’s all.

1 Like

Absolutely gorgeous Radek. JSB is my favourite classical composer by far and you nailed this one! (can you say “nail” in connection with classical pieces ? :rofl:)

1 Like

Beautifully played! Such a singing, lyrical tone!

1 Like

Thank you Phil. Glad you liked this one, I’m in the process of re-discovering classical music :sweat_smile: . This is all types of music guitar community so I think there is nothing wrong with your wording :slight_smile: .

Thanks Chris, certain brands/models have specific tones that appeal to different audiences, sometimes it takes time to find something that “speaks” to you.

That was very impressive Radek. A great piece of classical music.

Looking forward to what other ones you are going to do.

1 Like