Older guitar students - can 'old dogs' learn new tricks?

Welcome Murry. 64 here, started in January. I’d love to come to your concert!

2 Likes

Hi Russ, I also have a badly damaged middle left finger for fretting from a motorcycle accident 9 years ago. I decided to have the distal joint fused recently so it doesn’t bend closest to the fingernail. I’m glad to see someone else with similar impairments enjoying guitar anyway. Not glad you have them, glad it didn’t stop you. I may never be a lead guitarist but I just love playing, it makes me feel good. And I’ve learned to adapt certain chords to accommodate that finger with pretty good results. Cheers :beers:

3 Likes

Yet another “old dog” trying to fulfill an ambition at 62! Have started Justin’s course, after 2 days my fingers hurt and struggling to get clean cords, guess that’s pretty normal so will persevere :blush:

5 Likes

Hi Ian @isimmo61
Welcome here and I wish you a lot of fun and persistence … you are in good company :sunglasses:
Greetings,Rogier

3 Likes

Welcome Ian.

2 Likes

Love your comment about “feeling good”. I get that too. I’ve exceeded my personal expectations so far. Get a kick out of my wife stopping by my office while I’m playing and telling me she recognizes the song I’m playing. Never thought I’d hear that. lol Hang in there and have fun!! (And, thanks for the nice response to my comment!)

5 Likes

I’m 62. Still trying to learn how to put chords together for a melody of some kind. Welcome and keep up on the journey.

2 Likes

@Russ72
My wife use to always come tell me we need to clean out the shed and caulk the bathroom etc… every time i sat down to practice, So I bought the Justin Hoody that says “I Love My Wife” (when she lets my play guitar). and wear it when I practice now. Now when I am done practice, she gives me a list of the songs she recognized. :+1:
I changed my whole practice routine to just include songs; If I need to work on a chord progression, I find a song with the progression and practice using the song. Right now I am transcribing “Hello Darkness My Old Friend” from open G Major to GMajor scale in the 5TH Position (practicing my scales and notes on the fret board knowledge).
I am 70 and just play for myself and hope someday to have a couple of songs people will recognize from beginning to the end.

3 Likes

Hello Ian and welcome to our community. :slight_smile:

The pain will soon be a thing of the past. Only to be replaced by frustration. :joy:

3 Likes

Hey Richard,
I have read through this very interesting thread and an idea occurred to me. In my hometown the eldest resident becomes the guardian of a symbolic cane. This Community has various “Badges”, a couple of which I have. Maybe, in keeping with the nomenclature, there might be an “Old Dog Badge” for those members with a certain amount of life experience.
Dana

4 Likes

Hi Dana, @jonesdch It is something provided by the website system builder and not something requested or created by the Justinguitar team …
and this is a great thread and most are proud of their age , but don’t want to be associated with it all the time. :blush:… age is something that ultimately doesn’t matter anyway :wink:
Greetings ,Rogier :older_man:

3 Likes

Are you sure? When I’m trying to get my bones rearranged in the morning, I feel you could be wrong :joy: and I’m not that old yet :flushed:.

6 Likes

:joy: what a picture you paint here :joy:

You and I are still young flowers in the big picture here :blush: :innocent:

For fun and learning here new tricks without the mark of a badge that says you’re old :roll_eyes:, that’s what I meant and only that and nothing else …
PS: I feel better at 50 than at 45 … so I rest my case and I’ll leave the rest to my lawyer…

Here’s a rejuvenation drink :cup_with_straw: :smile:

Greetings

3 Likes

be happy, that I don’t post a AVoYgu :rofl:

I only can agree! At least in my head, I’m still pretty young :wink:

Thanks! Cheers! :cup_with_straw:

4 Likes

Oh well, I guess I’m just barking up the wrong tree.

3 Likes

Lucky you! I absolutely don’t feel as good at 74 as I did at 50.

2 Likes

Mark …that gap you describe is half my entire age :roll_eyes:
:laughing:
Greetings

2 Likes

I think zi have patience now (in my late 50s) and perhaps Ive realised that I will never know everything and can concentrate on those areas of my learning that are achievable.

2 Likes

I thought a single post with all Old Dogs tagged would be quite a thing to see …

EDIT

This is now all on the first post of the topic Older guitar students - can 'old dogs' learn new tricks?

25 Likes

Hi Richard,
Oooo that’s cool. :smiley: :sunglasses:… and…

you really need a hobby :sweat_smile: :laughing:

Nice to see,
Greetings

10 Likes