Older guitar students - can 'old dogs' learn new tricks?

Hi I’m another oldie trying new things I know nothing about music always thought you needed to be able to read music to play a musical instrument apparently you don’t.

1 Like

Welcome Ann! I turned 70 this year, too :grinning: You don’t need to read music, at least not in the traditional sense. It does require time, persistence and patience, all of which I have so much more of than I did when I was younger. Its fun to learn and very satisfying when you play your first song. I hope you enjoy the journey.

1 Like

Thank you :blush:

1 Like

Hello and welcome to our community Joe. :slight_smile:

A nice way to spend retirement.

1 Like

Hello everyone!
Another old dog here, beginning a guitar journey. I’m 63 and have dabbled in guitar a couple of times before but didn’t stick with it. I had cheap guitars and got frustrated, especially with the F chord. I’m determined to stick with it this time around, I want to play! My Epiphone ES-335 will arrive from Sweetwater early next week and my journey will begin.

4 Likes

Nice, good choice on the guitar, welcome!

2 Likes

Hello Dean and welcome to our community. :slight_smile:

I searched your guitar and that is one very nice looking guitar. Have fun.

2 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like

Rob from and in So. Cal. I guess I’m old and I like dogs.

2 Likes

Hello Rob and welcome to our community. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Welcome Rob, so nice to have you here :hugs:.
I wish you a wonderful guitar journey and look forward to hearing more from you :grinning:.

1 Like

Hello Dean, and a warm Welcome to the community :hugs:.
The F chord is really a tricky one. I’m currently struggeling with it. But as many before me have already experienced, with some patience and lots of practice, I’ll get there in the end :smiley:.
Beautiful guitar, by the way - I wish you lots of fun with it :slightly_smiling_face::guitar:.

1 Like

Getting that F can take some time.
As oldies we can appreciate that it doesn’t matter, we’re not going to headline the Royal Albert Hall any time soon, so what the heck if it takes some time.
It probably took me about a year of fumbling with the F chord for it to become even remotely ok - I can get the chord, but switching between it and others is still extremely clunky.

Having said that, some stuff is just starting to click into place naturally now - chords in a key etc are slowly sinking in (Justin’s latest video on this should be put higher on the ‘to do’ list!)
My wife was listening to Southern Cross (Crosby, Stills and Nash) having found it in a TV show, and decides she really likes it. I was able to work out the basic strum pattern, and some of the chords. Those I couldn’t simply identify were easy enough to work out, apart from a couple of ‘sus’ chords.

So keep it up. the ‘I’ll never get that’ is around for ages, as long as you know that it isn’t try, and ‘never’ just means’ ‘a bit more time’

1 Like

Now they know how many holes it takes to fill the Albert Hall! :grinning:

1 Like

Welcome to the pound Rob. I like to think of myself as an old trick learning new dogs !
:rofl:

1 Like

Hi Rob,…
Welcome,and i wish you a lot of fun :sunglasses:

And is that number behind your name the day you were founded or your current age? :blush:
And So.Cal gives a strange search result here,…I’m guessing that Cal stands for California ,…and not Calcary?
Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

I’m following this thread for more than a year now and asked myself, what is the female counterpart to an old dog :joy:? Is it an “old chick”, or how do you say that in English? :see_no_evil:

4 Likes

That would depend on who you asks. Most English speaking women take offense to being called anything that isn’t Politically Correct so some will find it offensive to be called a chick. Or even worse “old”
Seeing how the word Dog really has no gender (a domesticated carnivorous mammal that typically has a long snout, an acute sense of smell, nonretractable claws, and a barking, howling, or whining voice) It should be OK to refer to our female counterparts as old dogs. Just prettier old dogs :sweat_smile:

Let’s hear from the Female players on the forum.

3 Likes

Hi Andrea,
I think everyone was satisfied with the term “Old Dogs” :smirk:,…since the ladies of a certain age :roll_eyes:have also entered here,…but now I just figuratively taped my mouth ,…my head now working overtime ,…Bad woman :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
Greetings,…

1 Like

Got me in one Rick ! :rofl:

1 Like