Older guitar students - can 'old dogs' learn new tricks?

Welcome, Carl. 49? Kind of youngish, but we’ll take ya! It’s fine if you want to tell us more about yourself here and also you can introduce yourself over at the Intro page.

1 Like

Welcome David, we all have those days. It’s good to have a plan and sounds like you do.

1 Like

Hello David and welcome to our community. :slight_smile:

We all have day’s like that but it’s best to just try and ignore them and always start afresh the day after.

1 Like

Youngish, not been called that for a while…ill take that. Will go to intro page, when i find it…lol thanks

2 Likes

Hi Carl,
What the heck are you doing here in this topic introduce yourself… :grimacing:
You are very young, not nearly as old as most mature people here :blush:

But I wish you a warm welcome of course and wish you a lot of fun :sunglasses:,

The best greetings :wink:, Rogier (49 years young :roll_eyes:)

2 Likes

Many thanks Roger… im glad as a beginer at 49 , there is hope i can get to an ok standard…

3 Likes

Hey everybody! I’m Mark, and at 58 I finally decided to learn guitar. I played trombone in high school but after 1980 I didn’t pick up an instrument until 1999 when I first attempted to play guitar. A mix of too much work, not enough practice and not finding a method that worked for me led to me stopping about a year later.

Fast forward to three weeks ago and the urge to get serious about guitar hit me hard. I did a bunch of searching, found Justin and I immediately connected with his teaching style, sense of humor and general humbleness. I bought a Yamaha Pacifica 112v and Line 6 amp and started Grade 1 last week. I have good flexibility in my work schedule so I’m able to practice both morning and evening. Fingers are sore but I’m really enjoying practice. Today, I picked up a Yamaha FS800 acoustic to take with me on our upcoming road trips. I enjoy classic rock, heavy metal, Chicago/Texas blues and Jazz. There are lots of songs I want to be able to learn/play so I’m hoping I can build my skills and learn a bunch of them before my planned concert on my 100th birthday!

Outside of work (I’m CFP providing retirement readiness services to employees of client companies) and guitar I’m a runner/fitness geek, craft beer lover and 2-channel audio nut.

Looking forward to becoming part of the community and enjoying my guitar playing journey!

6 Likes

Hello Mark and welcome to our community. :slight_smile:

Plenty of time to learn your songs then. :smiley:

1 Like

Hi Mark, and a warm welcome to the community :hugs: .

What a wonderful (longterm) plan :smiley: . But I’m quite certain, if you stick to it, you’ll be able to play lots of these songs much earlier :wink: .
I started my journey one year ago, and already now, there are some wonderful songs I’m able to play :star_struck: .

I wish you lots of fun along your guitar journey and hope to hear more from you :blush: .

1 Like

HellomMark, welcome to the community! It surely was a good decision to pick up guitar again. Wish you a lot of fun and I’m sur, it doesn’t takee too long to be able to play some of the songs of your wishlist!

1 Like

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! I plan on learning quite a few songs in the next year or two but I figure 42 years should be enough time to put together quite a setlist!

4 Likes

Hello everyone, I am 52, and found myself watching Justin’s lessons on you tube last night, and was impressed with the content and teaching style, so joined today. I got my first guitar in my early 30’s, and have been learning on and off over the years, through books, guitar teachers, and later on the internet…
I look forward to learning and being a member in Justin guitar.

5 Likes

Hello Janine and welcome to our community. :slight_smile:

Justin does have a great teaching style and he just keeps you coming back for more.

2 Likes

Hi there SgtColon ! Thanks for the welcome… :grinning: There is certainly a lot to get into on the site.

2 Likes

Hi Janine! It was Justin’s teaching philosophy that lured us both in. I’m looking forward to the journey!

1 Like

Looks like this is the place for me. At the age of 67, I purchased my first electric guitar six months ago after borrowing my son’s to play around with for a few months.
Progress has been slow but I can play a few chords and switch between them. Not yet really progressed to be able to play a full song.
Loved soul music for nigh on 60 years so from the guitar side of that, my interest would lie around Steve Cropper, Joe Messina, B.B. King, Bobby Womack, Earl Klugh etc and the guitar sounds of the Isley Brothers, Santana and Earth, Wind & Fire.
Other interests are fell walking and trekking and still do a bit of running - 5k in 25-26 mins.

5 Likes

Welcome Gordon!

1 Like

Hi Mark! Thanks for your reply. Yes, I have really enjoyed the layout of the website. Justin’s approach is the way to go… !!

1 Like

Hi Gordon, let us know how you are going. Congratulations on getting your first electric guitar six months ago. What sort is it.?

1 Like

Hello Gordon and welcome to our community. :slight_smile:

I hope I’ll still be able to do some running when I’m 67. Impressive.

1 Like