Older guitar students - can 'old dogs' learn new tricks?

Hello Rebecca and welcome to our community. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve watched the nitsuj practice on the first module. I think I’ll spend another week on the practice for the first module and move on to the second module. I’m having a little problem playing the D chord cleanly but it’s getting better. Thanks for the response iainism.

1 Like

The holidays kind of slowed me down, but I’m trying to get back on schedule. I DID find another great finger picking book that got here after Xmas. It’s John Denver Anthology, Easy Guitar. Copyright, 1981. It’s the RED one. Cherry Lane Music Publishing. There is also another for the piano on eBay but the guitar one has picking styles & so many songs. The book is about an inch thick!
I have one picking style down from the Guitar Picking book & am now excited to find more. But, for some reason, doing the finger picking before Justines lessons destroys my strumming & counting.
Just thought I’d share because I had a very hard time finding this last book. The others that came up may b in different countries because they didn’t come up on eBay when I set it to US only.
Just sharing!

1 Like

Holidays slowed me down, too. Was gone for two weeks visiting kids and grandkids. Just back a couple days ago. Just picking up the guitar again. Thanks to your recommendation, I just ordered that John Denver Anthology. $16 with shipping. I love his stuff, looking forward to getting the book. May have mentioned somewhere that I saw him twice in concert back in the late 70s. Few performers had such joy, and brought such joy to an audience.

1 Like

Update… Just completed 20 hours of practice and have learned A, E, D, Am, Em, and Dm. The only thing so far that I’ve struggled with is Dm because of the use of the 4th finger!!! The fast cord changes in the last practice song is the hardest… but I’m getting better.

Also, I decided to order an acoustic/electric (Epiphone Hummingbird Performer Pro Limited Edition Tabaco Burst) from Best Buy. I’m not sure why they sell it for 499.00 Canadian as it sells for about 650.00 Canadian in stores in the US. I’m not complaining though! LOL

2 Likes

I’m not sure what fingering of Dm you’re using, but this one is the one I use (open chord version; barre version uses four fingers.)

@markr31, Justin encourages to use XX0241, to strengthen the 4th finger. That’s the fingering @Music1958 struggles with.

3 Likes

Yup, that’s the way I do it, using the pinkie, and I don’t have any trouble with it anymore. I do a lot of practice between Dm and Am because of House of the RIsing Sun.

1 Like

I’m assuming that the numbers you’re using are fingers, not frets.

It’s been seven years since I was doing the beginner course, but I don’t think he taught it that way then.

1 Like

But there are also songs that go from D to D Minor (such as While My Guitar Gently Weeps) that would be much more difficult using that fingering. I think I’ll pass on that.

1 Like

I’m 56 and am starting to learn yet again. I’ve purchased several guitars over the years with every intention to learn how to play that have ended up collecting dust in the corner. When my youngest starting taking guitar lessons (in person), I felt inspired to try again, too. Funny that I’m learning at a faster pace than she is! For years I told myself I didn’t have the coordination to play, but I’m finding out that this is bunk. I even feel as though I have a natural ability if I don’t say so myself! I’m so glad I’ve undertaken this journey. Learning to play the guitar is a longstanding dream, and I can’t wait for my first gig:-)

7 Likes

You definitely CAN do this!

1 Like

Hi Colleen, @Colleenfs
Welcome here :smiley: and nice that/ifyour have the opportunity to play together with your son… and if he has a good teacher it won’t be long before you can learn from him… lots of fun :sunglasses:
Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

Hello Colleen and welcome to our community. :slight_smile:

We are our own worst enemy. Glad you read you are back into the swing of it.

1 Like

Hello Richard

Can you please add me into the ‘old dogs’ kennel too.

Many thanks

Gary

2 Likes

Hey Gary @GaryA1, I’m not sure Richard @Richard_close2u will see your note (there’s SO much content in the Community!) so I’ve tagged him here. Hopefully that will get his attention. :smiling_face: Hope to see you at the next Vintage Club!

1 Like

Woof
Woof

:dog:

1 Like

There are compelling reasons to learn Dm with both 3rd and 4th finger versions and the song contexts where it becomes advantageous to have both options will come along sooner or later.

1 Like

I just started using the 3rd finger & have found it makes an amazing difference in playing the DM chord! I’ve got plenty of exercises that take the little finger, so I’m not too worried about losing strength in it! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Besides just fiddling around with the picking styles in the Denver book, yesterday I actually started playing some of the songs. It was so much fun but my finger picking isn’t flowing yet. I’ve got the 4/4 pattern from the 1st book I recommended down pretty well, but the song I’m learning on Justines lessons, House of the Rising Sun, is (of course) in 3/4 time. I can strum it but if I slow it down to 80, I can use a picking style that I learned in the Denver book. I’m going to find some more that I can use my fingerpicking skills on.
As luck would have it, my right hand fingernails (after months of cultivation & getting long & strong) pretty much all broke off about a week ago. Now I’m looking for a way to fix them on UTube. It makes sores on the sides of my fingers when picking without them so I’m having to wear my Musicians Practice Glove that I got on Amazon in October.
My husband was the Program Director for a major radio station back when my era was in full swing. We saw all the favorites over & over again. We were so spoiled & loved it!
I’m starting Module 11 in Grade 2 today. I can’t believe how much I never knew about playing the guitar. My strumming is still loud, louder & loudest, but I’m working on the strumming exercises as well…I thought I’d never learn Old Faithful, but I did, so hope springs eternal!

1 Like