Older guitar students - can 'old dogs' learn new tricks?

Another FYI…I got this on Amazon as my guitar stand & its perfect in front of my computer for holding everything!

TOTAL

$12.22

Hanghs Desktop Document Holder/Paper Stand/Clipboard for Sheet Music/Cookbook/Book with 7 Adjustable Positions Black

1 Like

Hello to my fellow guitar time travellers!
Something of a perma-beginner but looking forward to the challenge using Justin’s site.
Trawling through the comments I can see I am in good company!
Good luck out there and have fun!

6 Likes

Hello Leigh, and a warm welcome to the community. So nice to have you on board :hugs:.

2 Likes

Welcome to the group, Leigh! I’m’ a new beginner unless dreaming as a kid of playing guitar counts. But I’m definitely making it a perma-thing now.

@pyradise Have you tried biotin vitamins to help strengthen your nails? I find mine break less often when I take them. Of course, it could just be some change in my diet, who knows?

2 Likes

I haven’t tried it, but I will! Thanks

2 Likes

Hi
I’m currently on module 6 beginner 1 but a couple of months ago thought I’d try aF chord,first attempt I thought this ain’t ever going to happen but followed Justin’s video on the dreaded F chord and started to get results I found it esasier when I tried it on my electric guitar but was determined to nail it on the acoustic and now can play it clean ,changing from other chords to F is still slow but I’ve got that F down clean. Also have a go at F#m not so many fingers involved .
Ken

4 Likes

closed

2 Likes

MHO no theme tune needed, just folks experiences. Maybe one for its own topic or OGS will quickly fill with clutter.

:sunglasses:

2 Likes

Hi,
I’m Bob Harper and at 70+ definitely fill the criteria for membership of this distinguished section of the community!
Sadly though not as distinguished a guitarist as I would wish.
I’ve set my sights high for improving this year from Beginner 2 - 3 to a level of Intermediate, so here goes.
Looking forward to participating, learning and achieving :blush:

6 Likes

Hi Bob.
Welcome here in the kennel :smiley: …don`t be sad …we all get better when we practice and are as good as we deserve :smile:
I wish you a lot of fun and a nice learning curve :sunglasses:
Greetings ,Rogier

1 Like

Welcome, Bob. Glad you joined us. We don’t seem really chatty at the moment but give us time. Hope you achieve your goals!

1 Like

Welcome Bob. Sixty-six and at the same point as you with JG lessons - trying to consolidate skills and technique and to move into some fun areas - blues and fingerstyle. I’ve found one fun place to learn and participate beyond lessons is the clubs: https://www.justinguitar.com/clubs

1 Like

52-year-old here. Dunno if that’s old enough to qualify. And technically, I first started playing guitar in my 20s. My real dream was to play electric, but a guitarist high school friend had advised I learn classical first. However, I kept stalling out at barre chords, so I never played it that much compared to piano and drums. I basically quit guitar for like thirty years.

But two years ago, my wife suggested trying an electric guitar, as she thought the narrower neck might make it easier. And so I finally bought one at the age of 50, and while it helped a little bit, what really did the trick was Justin’s F chords lesson, as I recall. Either that or my determination to learn Live’s “Lightning Crashes,” which is filled with bar chords. Maybe combination of both.

Anyway, now that I can play songs, I am totally hooked! I do wish I hadn’t quit and thought to try electric earlier, but I’m very glad to be playing guitar now.

4 Likes

Hello Bob & welcome!

Just starting Grade 3 but like you wishing/working towards breaking out of the “Beginner” mold & moving up to the Intermediate level! Good luck to you!

Tod

1 Like

Hi Roger,

Thanks for your kind welcome!
Already feel like I have companions on my journey.
Looks like you play a PRS?
I craved an American Paul’s Guitar but settled for the SE model (lack of funds) and have no disappointment with that choice. It’s been a great motivation.
Maybe catch you further down the road😊

All the Best for now,

Bob H

3 Likes

Hi Rebecca,

Thanks for your kind greeting.
Glad I’ve joined the Community😊
I think I’ve set the bar at the right height but only time and hard work will tell.
Catch you further down the road.

All the Best for now,

Bob H

2 Likes

Hi Bob,

Oh yes, count on that :sunglasses:

For most people here it is the main reason to move in this community, learning guitar can be hard and lonely. Sharing joys and sorrows, recording your progress on video and whether or not to share it with us and so on. gradually seeing that you have made good progress and receiving tips/advice etc etc etc is an important thing for many guitarists…

Well spotted :sunglasses: … the PRS one of my guitars is The PRS S2 Vela semi-hollow …I am spoiled :blush:
The rest can be seen in other topics of mine, but you will have to look at that much later if you dare and if you are very bored… there are many Learning Logs where you can learn something, but they are often very long (or chaotic :roll_eyes:)

Greetings and have fun

2 Likes

Hi all, Dave here. Been messing around with my guitars for the last couple of years but as I’m 60 in a few days time think it’s time to start knuckling down a bit. Tried a few different sites but always end up coming back to Justins as it just seems to suit me the best. Have reached Module 10 and I’m really enjoying playing but would appreciate a bit of advice though as the past couple of months I’ve developed a flying pinkie and I just can’t get rid of it. Anyone else have this problem? Cheers

4 Likes

Welcome, Dave. I tried a few places and Justin was definitely the best fit. As for a flying pinkie, I’m not sure what it’s really doing so no help from me, sorry. Mine mostly behaves. :grin:

2 Likes

Hi Dave and welcome

If you are talking flying pinkie while playing scales or lead lines/melody try this

2 Likes