Oliver’s learning log

So a new cable helped a lot, still some hum at high gain but not as much and it stops when I touch the strings or any other metal part of the guitar. Something earth related still going on.

Electric is so forgiving compared to acoustic! In terms of fingers near the frets, fret pressure etc. it’s a lot easier. Perhaps forgiving of bad habits?

Also popping on the crunch voice in the amp and practicing a strumming pattern, with some chord changes which I’m trying to speed up is both practice and fun. Still love the dreadnought to try to accompany my singing but this electric business is fun.

Glad to hear things are improved with a new cable.

I consider the electric to almost be another instrument. You can treat it just like an acoustic, which I think for practice is the way to go. Play it on a super clean setting, limit the fx dialed in, perhaps just a hint of reverb, not too much volume. Then I think you will learn good clean technique.

But then dialing up the gain, playing with fx, particularly once you reach the point of learning power chords … it sure does unleash the rock god beast within :laughing: And nothing wrong with that, provided one keeps it in balance with the rest of the learning and practice.

I’ve put myself out there on the internet and posted a recording in the AVOYP section: Beginner's safe space - #86 by oliver_bendix

It’s ‘ain’t no sunshine’, one of the five songs I’ll commit to posting before I move to Grade 2 lessons. Next one might be Eleanor Rigby, we’ll see.

1 Like

Bravo, Oliver. Look forward to looking at the recording when our electricity is turned back on and I can power up the PC.

I haven’t posted for ages but am still making progress! The second half of the year was fairly challenging personally, I’ve had a few health issues so haven’t been pushing myself but I’ve kept up fairly regularly playing guitar. I’m mostly playing the acoustic still, and did a home setup on that, new strings, sanded the bridge down to bring the action a little etc.

I’m at Lesson 10 in the course and have memorised a few songs - favourites to play at the moment are ‘Every Rose Has Its Thorn’ and a finger style version of ‘House of the Rising Sun’. I haven’t recorded much but should really get back to that.

5 Likes

Hi Oliver, hopefully you are back in track with your health. Good you were still able to make progress.

Hi, I think I may well be back on track with health - I’m home right now recovering well from a surgery that I hope will be the end of my hospital attendance for some years.

I’m having a great time sitting in my new home office playing with new toys, the major one of which is a Scarlett 2i2 kit with microphone etc that I bought so I can record myself. Having heaps of fun plugging the electric guitar in and playing rhythm over drum tracks in GarageBand. It’s a really fun way to practice chord changes: I’ve been playing a 4/4 drum loop and changing F to C on the bar, first strumming just the first note then putting more strums and rhythm in till I’m actually playing a decent rhythm with cleanish changes now and then.

I’ve also been doing some repeating G/C/D riffs with some push strumming, changing the rhythm up over a drum track and adding bass tracks using my guitar and a GarageBand octaving pedal. It sounds ropey on playback but is heaps of fun.

2 Likes

So good to hear you are recovering well, in good health, Oliver.

Musical progress sounds good too. So much creative possibility and opportunity to enjoy music-making with a guitar, mic, 2i2, and GarageBand.

And no doubt, having fun while learning and practicing makes alol the difference.

Hi Oliver, good to read you are in better health condition and enjoying you guitar playing with the new toys.