One take attempt at Blues improvisation ( Module 13 )

Hi Geoff,
What a start of your blues road :sunglasses: :clap:
Halfway through you had already earned my thumbs up and I am not going to add anything else to what has been said and just keep in my own mind/ ears David’s advice that taking a break/ breath in between is a good thing :blush: …for the listener … :smile: (although I know many long consecutive solos but those climaxes at the end of a song played by professionals etc )

Good job and a lot too like …keep on going :sunglasses:
Greetings,

1 Like

Noted. I think Justin said something similar about breathing space for the listener.

Thanks.

1 Like

Squier Classic Vibe 50’s Telecaster through a 40 year old transistor 20 watt amp with a bit of gain on the pre amp.

1 Like

@roger_holland @Socio

Thanks

Hey Geoff,

Good stuff mate. You’re on the right path.

You had that nice little motif going that locks in the listener, with some cruisy phrasing; then venturing out a bit with some contrasting little flurries here and there, then back home. Thats the framework you want. Sure, some more breathing room here and there, but I reckon everyong overplays when starting out. Just part of the process.

Keep going mate.

Cheers, Shane

1 Like

I enjoyed listening to this, well done :smiley:

1 Like

Pondering on moving on to module 14, but need a bit more work on the 7th chords.

As in another thread, 3 months on module 13 after 6 on module 12 as was enjoying so much.

Slow and steady leading perhaps to less time in consolidation…

Thanks

Good start Geoff. There is not one of us who played something rather like this when taking our first steps in blues improv using minor pentatonic. You’re doing things right. All the advice I could possibly offer is here.

2 Likes

Hi Geoff, I’m currently working on the same module, and the blues improv is a real challenge for me.
So, congratulations on posting your really nice version :+1::clap:.

1 Like

Took a while ( 3months )…

Maybe you could pose a question for the community if there is a specific area you are finding difficult, or possibly reply here with a video…:grin:

Constructive comment is always good…

1 Like

Nice and bluesy Geoff and your playing and backing sounded okay together. Only thing I would change would be a little more grunt in the guitar tone.

I know some people who just don’t pause for a breath when they are speaking. :smiley:

2 Likes

Me too, Stefan, and I stop listening and switch off pretty quickly :rofl:

3 Likes

Sounding good for your first Blues steps Geoff. Lots of good advice offered so far, especially in the respect for providing rest and space. I think as Richard said we all start of down a similar path, trying to cram in as much as possible before learning that “less is more” is the way to go. That will come in time. Just experiment and see what develops, don’t be afraid of space. That a sustain are best buddies !

:sunglasses:

1 Like

I’ve just started about a week ago. So I think, what I need most, is practice, practice, and practice :innocent:.

1 Like

Plus maybe a little more gain…

1 Like

Good share Geoff. Some great advice here already. Welcome to playing blues, keep at it and keep building those skills.

1 Like

Excellent! I was bobbing my head along to the groove. Keep working at it.

1 Like

Thanks. I see a coup!e of mistakes and hesitations on viewing after posting , which is good as hopefully I will see some improvement over time…

:grinning:

Nice going there Geoff, especially for 3 minutes of improv. I’ve still not been brave enough to record anything of my “improv” so kudos for doing so :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Started with audio only and a bit nervous of posting that, thought I would never do video…

Had a couple of licks that sounded good together in my daily practice routine, so I went for it.

If it had been awful I guess it would have been deleted and this would have been a “maybe next time…”

Thanks

2 Likes