Open Mic 006 - Call for interest

@DavidP Thanks David and :rofl: at the ā€œitā€™s going wellā€ comment. That is so true. It happens when Iā€™m recording a song to share on here.

@TheMadman_tobyjenner Well hopefully, on the night, Iā€™ll be in the zone and the nerves will be gone and Iā€™ll be enjoying myself too much to think about it.

I guess itā€™s seeing the audience grow over the last few weeks that has got the nerves going.

1 Like

As weā€™re distributing pearls to Peppa, hereā€™s another:

If you want it to run as smoothly as possible, perform exactly what and how you have practiced.
(Even do a trial recording on Zoom, so you can see hear what you sound and look like and wonā€™t be surprised on the night)
Iā€™m constantly taken aback how- even if I can play a song really well- if I get in the zone and give a particular phrase/flourish/expression extra emphasis or feeling, my mind just goes blank.
Itā€™s not surprising really, because Iā€™m not used to it, so donā€™t know what comes next.
Sighā€¦
Having said that, I do not heed my own advice and this little piggy is planning on larging it up next week.
What could possibly go wrong? :rofl:

1 Like

Canā€™t wait to see you ā€˜larging it upā€™ Brian. :laughing:

The learning is never-ending. Another biggie for me is that ability to play with freedom, without worrying about how I might mess up. And there are moments, mostly when nobody is watching, that I get a taste. Just letting rip as @CT would say and encourage.

I think if you are having a good time, feeling good, then the audience feels it.

I think many people sit in the audience wishing they were you up there, musicians know what itā€™s about and will be cheering you on.

3 Likes

@SgtColon having watched your AVOYP posts recently Iā€™m sure you will do very well. Just relax and enjoy the moment mate. Remember all the seasoned players have been there where you are at the moment and all the newbies are rooting you on :+1:

1 Like

And us seasoned old pros :rofl will be rooting for everyone stepping up for the first time rest assured. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Are yā€™all jusā€™ playing guitar & singing next week or is anyone going to put on a show? :sunglasses:

Ahem @brianlarsen I canā€™t think of anyone whoā€™d fit this description :zipper_mouth_face:

3 Likes

Thanks @TheMadman_tobyjenner! Oh well since you are interested/ itā€™s the price to pay Iā€™ll create a profile then :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:.

2 Likes

God help the person whoā€™s got to go firstā€¦ :grimacing: oh dear thatā€™ll be me then :rofl: :joy: :rofl: :joy:

6 Likes

Shame I cannot get this to display here but

The Clock is ticking.

679299 seconds and counting

:sunglasses:

4 Likes

Well a week to go folks, hope its all going well on the rehearsal front. I expect there will be the usual banter and leg pulling this week, as we run up to kick off. Folks joining us for the first time should take it all with a pinch of salt ! I think its way that we all deal with the nerves but also gets everyone in the mood for having fun when we hit the ā€œstageā€.

For me, I thought I was well in advance of where I usual am with a week to go. Songs sorted, tone sorted, levels sorted. I then used Zoom to record a rehearsal session last night for the first time since OM 5 and have crackles and pops all over the place, we are talking serious Rice Krispies. No issues with creating a video in OBS and uploading to YouTube to check Nerd Stats but now with Zoom aarrgghh !

Panic at the Disco. Gave up at 2300 last night but found an errant webcam whoā€™s mic was in a ready state (I have 4 connected to the PC). Hopefully that is the culprit or Iā€™ll be tugging cables in case I have disturbed something (used my JamMan looper with my Mustangā€™s FX loop just beforehand!). Whereā€™s a good roadie or sound man when you need them.

2 Likes

Songs selected, rehearsals going as well as the usually do, which in my case has some loose correlation to how well the show will go on the night. I will also confess that I played the two songs at my local OM a couple of weeks back.

And while not going as far as Brianā€™s call for a ā€˜showā€™, I think I am going to stand up and play this time round ā€¦ whoa!

As for the Rice Krispies ā€¦ as somebody here oft says ā€˜keep it simples, peepsā€™ :grin: OK, not said exactly like that :rofl:

2 Likes

Set up wise, its no different to the last Open Mic, so a bit of a mystery and all was cool then, as in no crackles at least. :rofl: ie Mustang->AI->PC (Reaper->OBS->Zoom)

But I was also hearing some crackles when I brought up a YouTube tutorial last nights alongside everything else, suggesting some conflict somewhere. So powered PC down in case the soundcard was throwing a wobbly.

YouTube and other audio sounding good this morning, so Iā€™ll bring the other elements in one by one later today and see how that goes. :crossed_fingers: Maybe aim for Shreddied Wheat ! :rofl:

Good to hear your preps going well. Iā€™m running to about 8:40 so will need to limit the rabbit, so Iā€™ll happily let @brianlarsen take on the show tome role, with a 2 min song and 8 min stand up.:rofl:

2 Likes

I really need to start thinking about this one someday too! Scary thought but with your experience on the stage I am sure you will be fine David!

As for me well I was very persistent to record a song and put on youtube before OM as lately itā€™s been songs I performed on OM that followed on and I noticed less people watch because probably they already sort of saw it!

So 2 days went down the drain to record it. Still week to go and now I can fully focus on my set. One should be okay with maybe few hickups along, the other boy oh boy buckle up cause I am going a bit over my head for this :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Now that sounds interesting Adi ! Canā€™t wait. :sunglasses:

1 Like

ā€˜Experienceā€™ on the musical stage and me is a little bit of an oxymoron, Adrian. But heck, however it goes down, itā€™s all about showing up, having a go, and enjoying the moment. And in that regard I canā€™t fail :laughing:

2 Likes

I would like to be signed up as audience if possible :grin:

1 Like

Trond

Consider yourself on board. I assume you are UTC -1 / CET in Norway ? Iā€™ll send you message with all the required info. Let me know if you need help but should be straight forward.

Cheers

Toby

Yep. UTC-1 is correct :+1:

1 Like

Make your life easy and just buy an acoustic Toby. :smiley:

1 Like