Open Mic 006 - Call for interest

Dave

Happy to add you to the audience. The next one is likely to be in a couple of months, so if you’re up for it you can join the performers for that one. With the new Community we’ve taken on more “acts” than we have before to accommodate more folk and its likely to be a long one, so I’d prefer to leave things set as they are with just two weeks to go. Anyway, you get a chance to look before you leap ! :rofl:

Will send an PM with necessary info.

Cheers

Toby
:sunglasses:

Sounds like a plan, cheers bud

1 Like

Hi, please can I be added to the audience? :slightly_smiling_face: thanks (UTC).

Hi Rowena and a welcome to the Community from me ! :sunglasses:

Price of a ticket is an entry in the Introduce Yourself Category so we can vet your suitability :wink: Only joking feel free to join us. I’ll add you to the list and send you a message with the access details.

Cheers

Toby
:sunglasses:

1 Like

WOW THIS IS GOING TO BE OUR BIGGEST EVER ! :scream: :scream: :scream: :scream: :scream:

Entry for performers is now closed but anyone is more than welcome to join the audience and I will keep accepting requests up to the kick off - well maybe a few hours before hand so I can do some prep work. :wink:

I think we have a 300 seat virtual auditorium, is that right @adi_mrok ?

A quick headcount shows … drum roll !!

16 acts
34 in the audience

Man that’s 50 peeps and @JustinGuitar will try and pop in if his schedule allows.

Performers its T - 11 hope everyone is rehearsing.

Lets Rock

2 Likes

Yes I am pretty sure 300 is our limit, we should be okay for this OM but boy with this rate 100 will pop on another one! :scream:

1 Like

Absolutely no pressure !

1 Like

Man I am so sorry to hear that Richard. Sending as many positive vibes your way I can.

2 Likes

It’s awesome, Toby, and going to be fantastic.

1 Like

A real baptism of fire I think. :rofl: :anguished:

You’ll be fine Stefan ! :sunglasses:

Indeed. We’ll all be fine. It is about fun, learning, an experience. It’s not the Albert Hall or Madison Square Gardens.

I’ve not yet played songs at an Open Mic, either the Community’s or my local event, without the odd hiccup. But it’s OK, keep playing, and it is all fine. I think my most extreme was to sing the wrong line of a verse. I just kept playing the progression and sang the correct line when the progression came around.

Butterflies are normal, even good to get one up for it, but keep it all in perspective and remember we are all learning and doing this for fun.

3 Likes

… it’s much more important than that! :rofl:
At least all the hecklers will be on mute (won’t they @TheMadman_tobyjenner?)
Butterflies make an appearance in my song (if I make it that far :laughing:)

4 Likes

OK the truth comes out ! My latency delayed backing vocals were heckling, I must go check the lyrics. Hey but I’m Alright Now. :rofl:

2 Likes

Tell my underpants that. :smiley:

1 Like

Stefan

Joking aside, if you are settled on the song you are doing just keep playing it everyday, a few times if you can, so it becomes automatic. It will become second nature and help you relax. :sunglasses:

Thanks Toby. Song picked and I’m playing away.

I guess it’s just that first time worries about doing it. Especially when I keep making silly mistakes when I’m practicing. It’s my inconsistency that has me worrying a little.

Stefan, can’t deny there’ll be nerves. I think we will all be feeling some nerves given the larger audience and it is just experience to get used to it. Rehearse as much as you feels good and then just enjoy the day. It is all in the mind, avoiding stress and inappropriate pressure.

Another thing that I am working on is avoiding self-talk while playing. Sounds crazy but I find it hard not to get myself distracted, to stay focused on the song, just the next line. And the worst is when it is going well, that inner talk that says “It’s going well, now don’t mess up” The mess up usually comments moments after that :laughing:

But really I want to play as well as I can but I am passed worrying how well I play, how well I sing etc. I keep improving, helped by these events, and feel the support of the Community. It’s a safe, encouraging place.

2 Likes

The thing is with the odd flub or goof, most of the time the audience doesn’t even notice. As David said before just keep playing don’t stop. That’s why it rarely registers, I don’t think I’ve done a single open mic when I’ve not cocked something up, I even missed complete lines out of songs and dropped chords in a progression ! Hey and no one seemed to notice except me.
Even better when you do songs no one knows anyway. I think that’s why Brian does it on the hoof :rofl:

2 Likes

Oh I would whole heartedly agree…it’s a strange thing if I don’t make a mistake somewhere along the way…the vocal ones are the funniest.

I’ve sung the wrong verse at the wrong point in the song.

I’ve finished the song early missing out completely the bridge and final chorus (that was this week!)

I’ve repeated a verse or chorus.

The funny thing is no one seems to actually notice most of the time!

4 Likes