Open Mic 006 - Call for interest

18 hours minus 6 minutes to show time… sure glad I removed my name … I feel nervous for everyone else. See you guys tomorrow.

1 Like

With all the talent in the lineup, I feel like I should be paying an entry fee for this OM. And with some sporadic and most likely left field comedy thrown in, its like 2 shows for the price of none. All the best to the talent.
Lookin forward to it all at 6am tomorrow from Down Under :nerd_face::+1:

1 Like

Hi could I get a link for the audience please. UTC -5
Good luck to everyone.

Phil I’ll send you the info in a couple of hours. Just seen message as dog needed to go out. You are more than welcome.:sunglasses:

@everyone

I’ll be taking audience requests until 1500 CET France, which is 1400 UTC.
So if you want an online seat let me know, so I can send you the details.

:sunglasses:

1 Like

Cheers Shane,
but this is precisely why I tell Toby to go easy on the ‘hype’ :laughing:
We’re stoked… but not delusional.
I’ve put in a request for some ‘virtual chicken-wire’ to fence off the stage from the comments section :rofl:

2 Likes

So I have 10 hours to find some talent. OK off to the shops :rofl:

@brianlarsen You know you love it really :wink:

2 Likes

@TheMadman_tobyjenner

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Shane, I’m notorious for disliking the tossing around of the ‘talent’ word. We are all learning at our own pace and are where we are and every performance today will be what it will be. It is all about participation and fun, not about level and quality of performance.

In truth somebody who has been at it a few weeks and months, has got the A and D chords under the fingers and his playing one down strum per bar along with select songs in the App is as welcome to join the OM has somebody who is playing at an advanced level that I personally watch with awe and admiration, not imaging that I may ever reach such levels. Such a person may feel too self-conscious to join but they’d be welcomes, acknowledged and appreciated.

I know it is far easier said than done but as much as is possible put performance grade and level out of your mind and just view this as a bunch of friends who have a shared love of music, playing, and learning coming together for a good time.

Now to get my gear all set up …

2 Likes

Yeah, I think Toby’s on commission for this one :tickets:. All the best for tonight.
Cheers, Shane. :nerd_face:

Shane, I’d have to say Toby and Brian bring plenty of flair to promotion of the event … they always have. Wonderful turn of phrase and banter.

I tend to be far more serious … I think so … but my leg is twitching in anticipation of a gentle or not so gentle tug when they read this.

1 Like

It’s not your leg we’re going to tug :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Now I must close this browser !!

Eeee Gods !! I now have to write Flares on the shopping list, I threw mine out in the 80’s, too many folk were living in them bell bottoms.

I agree with David, this is all about fun with friends ability is secondary. I think a lot of the banter developed out of nerves for some folk. For me it was an extension to my Madman Diaries.

I would love to see folks who have just got their few songs under their belts joining us and hope to see more of them at future Open Mics. And singing is not a requirement, just playing the best you can regardless of level. Simples

Personally I spend a lot of time turning silk purses into sows ears but have a heck of a lot of fun doing it and sharing it. Tickets and commission not required as I will be paid in full just being part of the event.

Laters peeps

:sunglasses:

3 Likes

Sorry David, that it may have come across to you in a way it wasn’t intended. It was just a bit of a laugh, and in no way intended to put any undue pressure on anybody. I totally agree with and hold the same views as noted in your post. All the best for tonight.
Cheers, Shane.

No worries, Shane. For some reason … probably the quality of your AVOYP postings … I had it in mind that you were playing tomorrow. And that plus that notorious seriousness prompted a message intended to ease your nerves and anybody else either feeling pre-show nerves or considering signing up but worried about their play-grade.

Just finished a full dress rehearsal in which the first song went about as well as I can deliver and I made that sow’s ear Toby mentioned earlier of the second. But I’d opted to record that for general sharing on YT and not a big deal that the song was butchered to the point where I uttered an "ooops’ just in case you didn’t notice.

Tonight, well it’s a roll of the dice … could be better (hope so) could be worse.

2 Likes

OK folks we are down to the last 5 hours of waiting !

Still an hour before I close the theatre doors, so I can do some last minute checks and a final dry run. So shout up if you want a seat.

We have lost a couple of performers due to last minute life events but here is the line up for tonight or this afternoon or tomorrow morning depending where you are in the world.
:earth_africa: :earth_americas: :earth_asia:

Also a message to anyone who has not been playing long and maybe only has a couple of chords under their fingers. These Open Mic events are open to everyone, regardless of their level, there is no minimum play-grade. It is all about getting together with friends and having some fun and enjoying some music.

We will continue to hold these events roughly every two months, so I welcome you all to step forward for future events, so keep an eye out for the next round of Call For Interest.

Not sure if you are ready ? Get some songs recorded and posted in the AOVYP section, relax and enjoy, Its a great way of preparing to do an Open Mic which won’t be too far away.

2 Likes

I found a stable connection and a quiet place to enjoy the gig. Looking forward to hearing what you guys have prepared. See you soon!

3 Likes

3 hours to show time.

And I’m ready to share a couple more from my camp-fire repertoire.

1 Like