Open Mic 006 - Call for interest

Cheers @TheMadman_tobyjenner for the organisation. We’ve certainly got a decent sized audience for this one!

1 Like

Toby, thank you and well done! It looks like a massive task to coordinate!

2 Likes

I pray one day all audience members will join performers or at least swap with them places :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::grinning:

3 Likes

When I said I’m working on ‘something’, I wasn’t referring to a speech :roll_eyes:
… and what’s with 1/2 a song from Toby? We’re used to half-baked, but I want my full shilling’s worth!

Joking aside:
I can’t recall if it was ever discussed, but why do audience members have to request a link?
Why aren’t we just sharing the link here in the thread so anyone who wants to can drop in?
I realise it might make people feel part of the experience, but I’m sure there are also those who may not feel like ‘committing’ or would prefer to stay unobtrusively in the shadows.

1 Like

Brian

I believe it was because guest visitors, to the old forum would have been able to access the link, making us open to trolls etc. Perhaps its time to change that approach, assuming we are more secure in our new home. I suspect one for @Richard_close2u and or @LievenDV to agree on or get signed off by @JustinGuitar ?

If we are now safe I have no issue doing it that way but not for me to sign off on.

As to the half song !! One in the bag another in the pipeline but a vocal stretch.

You’ve shaken the tree Mr L, lets see what falls out.

Cheers

Toby
:sunglasses:

troll guiatr banned

I think one song will be enough this time.

Yes @TheMadman_tobyjenner you are correct and there were quite a lot of concerns about privacy and who was watching etc. when we first started this. Plus I’m not sure there is a limit on the numbers that can join (although I doubt we’re anywhere near that).

300 on the licence I own just checked. I know our company has bigger licences in smaller numbers but firstly we are not any close to reaching those numbers for now and secondly it would be odd asking someone for the licence to host online OM :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: on the other hand people host chair yoga sessions during work so nothing surprises me at this place!

2 Likes

My understanding is that anyone on this site who wants a link will be sent one (unless it becomes that popular that numbers have to be limited).
Requiring invitations adds an unnecessary layer of admin and restricts access.
Even if it was just shared on the day or just before the OM on the thread, how would that make it less private? All the previous OMs are up for the public to view on YT. (There is one performer I’m aware of who might have reservations, but we could discuss beforehand)
I have no wish to perform in front of strangers, but don’t think we should treat folk on this site as strangers :smiley:

@brianlarsen How long should Toby allocate? :rofl: :bat:

I don’t think anyone is Brian there has been an open invitation for folks to sign up to perform or be part of the audience, carried over from the forum and here since day one. The admin is minimal and I can’t see how it is putting folks off. That invite has been extended frequently and again this evening.

The issue of publishing the link has been raised with the mods and JS copied. So lets wait and see what happens and if necessary take this discussion to a general OM “policy” topic for want of a better expression and away from OM6. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Regarding sharing the link publicly to join:
The forum can still be viewed publicly without having a user account, so the problem of trolls/bots (is this even a thing? Bots joining calls?)/etc. still exists.

1 Like

To be fair @brianlarsen @TheMadman_tobyjenner is not doing anything different to what we’ve previously done. There’s not a clamour of people complaining about asking for an invite and NOT publishing the link is not treating people like strangers.

I agree that just because we’ve always done it doesn’t mean we shouldn’t review now BUT probably Justin has some of the biggest input on that. I do agree with Adi that managing a large audience might throw up other technical challenges we have to think about in advance to make it run smoothly. Actually it’s highly likely we’ll have the biggest group participating for the next one so it’ll be interesting to see how it works.

1 Like

Thank you Jason but if what Luka says is correct and I don’t doubt it, that is reason enough not to publish the link, that why it was sent out to attendees only in the first place.

At the moment we have 30+ including Tony and Richard or Lieven who are yet to commit, so visibility of unmuted people may be difficult, as I believe there is a maximum number of people displayed on one gallery screen. I know when my Sangha has large gathering, the “host” has to use two monitor to keep an eye on everyone. And 90% of the time we are sitting in silence ! Little whooping and hollering.

Be interesting how it pans out from control point of view. :sunglasses:

1 Like

In terms of visibility of unmuted people you don’t need gallery view for it, you can open separate tab called Participants and people unmuted are on top so dead easy :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That’s cool, I guess I’m on top a lot ? :wink: :rofl: :microphone:

3 Likes

Not gonna do public shaming here, but there are some more frequent violators :face_with_hand_over_mouth::face_with_hand_over_mouth::face_with_hand_over_mouth:

5 Likes

Hmm, I seem to have chosen my words or expressed myself poorly- or perhaps the wrong time and place :thinking:
These are still early days in the Community and I have consciously not taken an active role in any of the OM organization, so apologies for ruffling any feathers.
I do think it’s likely that we will have to figure out the best way to accommodate larger numbers in a different way, but that can wait.
Regarding the ‘strangers’ remark, that was not from the Community’s point of view, but rather from my own- I have no desire to have ‘views’ by people I don’t know eg. YT/fb/twitter clicks. On the other hand, there are many new members of the Community that I do not know, and I was trying to express that I should not be regarding them as ‘strangers’.
@glpguitar understand your concerns (and alluded to them in my last post).
I like to think positively about what is likely to happen, rather than prepare for worst case scenarios (although I do enjoy writing songs about the latter :wink:).
Anyway it’s bedtime for me and I’ll probably join in again later when we have a specific thread on the matter :sleeping:

Good night Mr L sleep well. Tomorrow’s another day and it’s well past zed o’clock here as well !

No hard feelings or anything as such Brian, you have right to your own opinion and I think it’s a valid one.

I think after doing next couple events on new Community we can see where are we getting at in terms of numbers. Technically speaking there is a feature in Zoom called webinair which has it’s ups and downs.

Basically tons of people can join, but only host is visible to others or a performer. It can host probably limitless amount of people as well as our CEO and whole staff (about 2k+) can join and watch him simultaneously.

Ups is of course no risk of people or trolls interfering, more people can get into the stream and enjoy the show and there is no risk of link getting nicked and someone takes over transmission with person’s inappropriate behaviour (comparing to existing arrangement hence we hid links away and give to people only requesting it).

Downs is that it becomes less personal IMO, you can’t unmute after performance and say something or even do some clapping, it’s more performance focused. This would be something I think I would miss a lot. I am also unsure about the chat function, on our webinairs those are missing and only QA is available so no interaction between people at all!

And biggest downside which probably makes the whole thing impossible is that according to my wife I can request a licence as a one off. A single guy on our campus owns a licence and he can create a meeting and make me a host, something similar I do with David on Jason on the day. Could I switch original sound option on? I am not sure but as you can see plenty of unknowns in this equation.

1 Like