Open Mic 009 - Call For Interest

Which is what I love about this place, we’ve got such diversity in styles, songs etc.
As our USA friend Rod likes to say, let’s send it folks!

2 Likes

I’m in the San Fernando Valley. This is where Tom Petty noticed vampires on Ventura Blvd and where there’s a freeway running thru the yard. It’s the Valley side of Laurel Canyon, a hop skip and a jump to Sunset Blvd, and 30 minutes to Malibu Beach. There’s at least one ace guitar player on every block.

2 Likes

Got thrown a little curve last week, using the Songs App as my go to and two of the songs i was working up have been removed from the app! Some kind of licensing thing with the new version of the songs app that just dropped. So i found a tab and I’m sending it with just me on guitar and vocal. No backing track no other vocals. The training wheels are off!..… Rod

How’s it going? you ask. Well not too bad, just moved up from my usual playing space in the basement to my office which has the set up for zoom, Have had several test recordings, none of them perfect, but not too unhappy. Have been trying to keep my Grade 2 practice going as well, but that is pushed off a little. Less nervous this time (so far) give it a few days and I will be bricking it. Looking forward to it.

@TheMadman_tobyjenner

Just sayin’ :rofl:

2 Likes

I’ve been practicing, haven’t tweaked the Zoom & OBS levels yet, though.

Decided to have a main song, and a backup song, just based on the duplicates at the last OM!

Well that makes sense, it was my first ever performance. :rofl:

2 Likes

I know my guitar limitations, so spend more time practicing the ‘performance/distraction’ side as opposed to technique :rofl:
Unfortunately, I’ll be missing the live version of this one. Family duties call and we have to travel to Dublin for the weekend. A real pity, as I missed the last one and was so looking forward to it (including practicing!). I’ll share a ‘dress rehearsal’ at some stage :wink:
Break a leg, folks- and whatever you do, don’t screw up. I’ll be merciless in my comments :laughing:

2 Likes

You’ll be missed Brain :sunglasses:

3 Likes

As usual … you brute… :speak_no_evil:should be a lesson…

:innocent:

3 Likes

Well well well, let’s not exaggerate…coincidentally those few hours but before and DEFINITELY after that Brian is just present again…
Yes yes, I am also looking forward to his weird antics and/or special performances…but now you have to make up for it Brian…have fun this weekend :sunglasses:
@brianlarsen :sunflower:

3 Likes

Pah! You don’t turn up and then, and then, and then think you can criticise? Doom on you. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Just so long as we can be as reciprocally merciless with this Brian :wink:

2 Likes

Hi @TheMadman_tobyjenner - what is the performance order for the players?

1 Like

As per the direct mail you received called

JGC Open Mic IX Provisional Running Order

All details are contained there and the list reflects recent changes.

Cheers

Toby
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Got it - thanks!

2 Likes

@TheMadman_tobyjenner after all that and your amazing organization and encouragement, I regret that I can’t make Sat 7/9 as an audient. I am so excited though, to now be on the radar for these awesome events. Plz keep me on the list and thanks again for being a fearless + fab leader

2 Likes

It’s pretty effective though, after all, it’s a performance in the end, not a guitar talent show!

Bummer you can’t make it. I was looking forward to some Brian antics.

Perhaps @brianlarsen is really off to 10 Downing St this weekend, on a secret ‘rescue and restore’ mission. :rofl:

3 Likes

If there’s space in the audience, then I would like to attend if I can.

Although it’s fairly early in the AM here (UTC+8), and I’m attending a house-warming party this evening (which, depending on how the party goes, could mean I’m still awake, or in a coma in the corner of a room somewhere).

IoW no promises I will make it, but if I can, I will.

Cheers,

Keith

2 Likes