Open Mic 018 After Show Chat

I agree that the whole idea of an open mic is to perform for the public. JG people are always polite with feedback, which may not be in the case for the public. I honestly don’t worry though… in work group presentations I’ve led, I would encourage any hecklers to come up and show me how it’s done. . After one time of that no one ever heckled my speeches again. :joy: I feel the same way for performers. Nobody is perfect but we all got out there and gave it our best. I made mistakes for sure, but learned from them.

I think most of my nerves were due to early audio issues and being worried no one could hear me.

5 Likes

That sums up the whole experience Jeff. Most of the fluffs and boobs you detect during your performance, will not have been noticed by the audience. But you know and from that you learn, simples. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I always love listening to these. There is so much to watch and listen to in each performance by way of techniques and vocals that I enjoy and also learn from.

Great gig by everyone. @Malz always enjoy your performances, Lara’s vocal is great and together it’s a great sound👍 @Richard_close2u Mate, stripped back, no nonsense guitar :smiley: that was mesmerising and inspiring. :+1: love your work.

4 Likes

Thank you Craig, We had sound issues again and so reverted to the iPad, but it was fun to be part of the show, pleased you enjoyed our bit. :smiley:

1 Like

Thank you Richard for the hard work in posting this along with all the others who help put this ‘show on the road’, David, Toby, Adi, and anyone else I have missed. It is all very much appreciated. Great spot by you on the evening. :star_struck: :smiley:

2 Likes

Hi All OM’ers. Part 1

I somehow missed the posting of the OM18 video recording, usually I get an alert but not this time for some reason.

It was another great show , with many styles

@Jenndye429 , you really looked comfortable in the MC role and did a brilliant job, I was a little disappointed we did not get a performance from you especially with Dan’s new acoustic kit.

@SDKissFan Jeff what a storming debut :slightly_smiling_face: you did great especially in those weather circumstances although I can imagine you will be hoping for a more relaxed environment next time.

@DavidP What a great version of a classic, superb sounding strumming and matching vocals, very enjoyable.

@NicoleKKB . You are really going for it, another 2 song performance. Like I said in the chat I loved you doing Luka, it brought back memories of time with my boys when they were young. And what about Heart of Gold, mixing up strumming styles and throwing in some runs, pretty advanced stuff you are clearly pushing yourself and it is paying off.

@Eccleshall Hi Ruaridh some nifty finger work going on in Teenage Dirt Bag

@Malz & @ElleDeeGee I always enjoy your performances so much , it always looks like you are having a lot of fun and even your technical challenges this time did not phase you

@liaty , Hi Dave, I don’t recall seeing you performing with an acoustic before, your strumming was lovely and great accompanying vocals, so many styles I have seen you perform now.

4 Likes

Hi All OM’ers Part 2

I did not realise the restriction on usernames in a single post so my OM18 comments continued here

@Elixir1253 Colin it is not the first time I have been performing right after you so I dont always get to really enjoy your performance until the recording. You challenged yourself with some tricky finger picking especially on buckets of rain , well done indeed.

@Richard_close2u Richard, maestro performances, very inspiring and like I said in the chat, Maggies Hope as well as being a beautiful piece I also found very inspiring , Iove the collaboration aspect in the JG community, never considered that possibility before , food for thought

@John_in_Dot Hi John , I actually do recall you playing Ripple before ,think it was one of my early OMs. You looked pretty confident singing and playing , you mentioned you did not do that last time but you did it well this time.

@docdanguitarman Danny, what a debut , singing and playing and drumming on the guitar, I am not at that level yet for sure, and an original song. What a debut !

@dobleA Andrés I get a feeling of a lot of emotion in your playing and singing even though I dont understand the lyrics , well done

5 Likes

Thank you Eric! I had fun and hope to host again sometime. The debut of the acoustic kit should be at the next OM. Don’t worry, it’s coming :wink:

1 Like

Hi Eric, thank you for commenting. I’m glad the aim of playing (and singing) songs that through their music (and way of singing them) could convey the intended emotion, despite the words being sung in a language other than English, was accomplished. For future OMs I may include again songs that one way or another are known within the English speaking world, as I did in my first two OMs, along with others that I think can be enjoyable despite being not so well known, as I did on this one.

1 Like

Thanks Eric, yeah have been focusing on the acoustic for a while as I’ve attended a few outdoor sing around sessions this summer. ‘One’ is one of those I’ve been working on since starting the early modules, a keeper for sure.

I’ve discovered Punk now though, so no going back :safety_pin:

Thanks so much, Eric, for taking the time to relistening and comenting on every single performance :hugs:.
I’m glad you enjoyed my performance :blush:. Yeah, playing Heart of Gold is a lot of fun for me due to the different techniques I could use :smiley:.

But when we are talking about ‘pushing oneself’, lets not forget about this young Scottish guy who was treating us with two absolutely fabulous performances :star_struck:. I really can’t tell, which one of them I enjoyed more. Both of them were great, and I loved the sweet sound of your guitar :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:.
Keep on rockin’ :metal::fire::guitar:!!

2 Likes

I was trying to think of genres you have not done yet at OM , I wondered if you might be doing some flamenco for us in future never thought of punk :slightly_smiling_face: great that you were able to do some live events, I live quite rural but i am looking to see if I can find something like this , there is occasionally an event in my town called an open mic but the people that play are either professional or should be.

Hi Nicole, thanks for the encouraging comments, it helps , it really does. Glad you enjoyed my performances. I deliberately try to change styles sometimes. In these songs I did not find the playing so difficult but getting a solo arrangement to work while singing and changing sounds that was a challenge for me. I am doing another song now which involves some of these skills again so I keep practicing them, maybe for the next OM. This one is a bit more pop rock style than these last 2 but still from the 70’s. Young scottish guy, well you are partly correct :grinning:

2 Likes

You’d fit right in :+1:

Cheers man but I dont feel quite there yet

Thanks Eric. I loved that clever pun. I’m signed up for round 2 in the next open mic. I’m hoping for a great show with fewer mistakes this time. I can only get better and better. Thanks for watching and the support. Today a hurricane hit the other side of the USA with waves and flooding covering coastal homes with water. I’m thankful our area wasn’t hit too bad. Have a great day

Jeff

Eric
Thanks so much
That’s kind of you
Danny

It is amazing how no matter how much you practice the moment changes once the spotlights on you! Guess doing more is the best remedy.
Danny

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback

1 Like

Thanks Eric, it was a fun evening to be part of