Open Mic 08: Recording + After-Show Chat

Jen and I had a great time and are already talking about what we can do next time. Jen just started learning to play bass, so we will add that to the act as soon as we can. Thanks so much for organizing this.

3 Likes

Thanks Toby.

I think it would be a good idea to consolidate from the original posts and discussion and pin a overview post up to preserve that and inform newcomers.

Let’s see what Jason says has to say and take it from there.

1 Like

Happy to chip in my thoughts historically on the reasons.

The origins for me for the virtual OM was that it was a way to bridge the gap between recording and sharing songs in the forum and playing live.

It is true it was born of lockdown where I saw locally a shift of traditional live open mics moving online so that people could still share their music and keep in contact with friends. I took part in a number and thought it would really suit our community.

Many of us had been recording and sharing for a long time in AVOYP. There had been a trend for people to move to “one take recordings” to get that “live” feel and also a number of people who had echo’d their wish to play live. A virtual OM seemed an ideal solution.

I think what we perhaps hadn’t expected was the enhanced social connections that meeting online gave and which I think we all enjoy as much as playing.

Ideally it gives people the confidence in the long term to make the next step and actually play live… it really isn’t such a big leap from the virtual OM.

That is it in a nutshell!

6 Likes

Oh and sorry I didn’t make last night! Played a great set at a summer fete/festival yesterday. Probably our best hour yet. I’d be lying if I said lots were watching but it gave us a lot of confidence for the next one. So we had dinner and a few drinks afterwards to celebrate!

Look forward to watching the video when Ade has managed to sort things out. Sounds like it was a good one.

4 Likes

And how cool is that!! I need an bass player too :rofl:

2 Likes

That’s brilliant, Jason … I assume I’ll get YT notifications in due course?

And then you’ll need a drummer @tRONd

And before you know it you’ll have a band :joy:

2 Likes

Yes @DavidP there will be something up shortly once I’ve had chance to off load it from the camera.

1 Like

Ahh… what an awsome thing Jason!! Happy for you and your band that killed it last night.
You have some recordings to share??
See you next time around :grin:

1 Like

Hahahaha!!! I know :rofl::see_no_evil::rofl:

@Rossco01 @DavidP

Jason I suspect there is actually sufficient background information, in what you have said here to pull an explanatory paragraph together, that could sit as the opening lines of future CFIs, including OM IX. Happy to cobble something together and share “offline” away from muddying this thread further. If you guys agree I’ll include the usual suspects, in case a statement needs sign off at a JG Team level, of course David could do that :wink: But given @Richard_close2u early cautions leading up to the trial, we may need some “official” guidance ie back to brand protection ? I am sure you know what I mean.

:sunglasses:

2 Likes

Sounds great Jason look forward to the coverage. :sunglasses:

1 Like

That’s fine Toby. I think brand wise we’re fine. It’s always been community led and I would say consistently moderated well by the few that organise them. I think the original fears have hopefully gone. I’m sure @Richard_close2u will though confirm.

I think we are now in the NEW community fulfilling the original promise we hoped of the OM which was to broaden the appeal to more and more people which is great.

1 Like

I expect he would. And the original requirement was for a Mod to be involved and I now cover that base . I always report back to the JGT Team on the OM’s and get lots of positive support. Justin also still thinking about what else he might do.

1 Like

OK guys leave it with me. I’ll write an OM Bio and PM folks for sign off or amendments, as l think it right all the usual organisers have a say in the wording. We can then have a consistent message/description going forward to be used on subsequent CFIs.
Meaning anyone new will have an immediate understand of what the OMs are all about.

Thx for the input and discussion.
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Thanks Toby.

And once we have it, we can pin it as a Topic without ability to reply and link to it in the Call For Interest

1 Like

No problem. By the title of the post I thought that the editing, etc had been done and you were posting the video.

My son’s celebrating some kind of atheistic rite of passage (12yo) which I can’t translate to English.
Anyway, I was too busy and couldn’t attend.

Can’t wait to grab a good coffee and get into listening; I really love the concept and the fact that we’re still going strong after 8 editions!

7 Likes

Give your boy my best wishes. :partying_face:
See you around next time around Lieven :+1:

1 Like

Reflections in the cold light of day (actually quite warm but that didn’t fit the narrative). Last night was amazing, something I couldn’t have dreamed of. Being part of a lineup with a range of great performers was really fun. Everyone performing under the same live pressure. Everyone had their own level of self criticism, but being part of the audience, you just enjoy the show and don’t notice errors.
Having looked back at my performance and showed my lovely wife. I am still happy with how I did, need to work on the mic set up, as they sounded different than I hear, and pick up things I don’t usually notice, plus something must have changed from my dry run as I could hardly hear my voice on the intro. My wife said it was great, and is proud of me for doing it. When I skimmed through the other performances she pointed out things, like they have drums, or they have a backing track.
At the time I felt acutely aware of playing very fast, so attempted to slow down, it was really evident in my mind at the time, but not as obvious as I watched the video.

I am rambling, but all in all a brilliant learning experience, reading the posts about the intent when it was started, you certainly met that for me. I will do another, have already signed up.

We always joke about am I ready for my stadium tour yet. Well now I am 1 step closer, onwards to do more lessons in grade 2.

8 Likes