Open Mic 08: Recording + After-Show Chat

That’s all you need to hear Phil !! Happy wife, happy life. You did great and fantastic to see you sign on for OM IX. :sunglasses:

1 Like

You did great Phil and all I can day is that everyone else thought the same and regardless of what setup you have we all started somewhere, check my first OM or any of my videos from Learning Log - just a phone recording, no mics no anything fancy. It’s a right of passage for everyone to upgrade the setup whenever the time comes :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks again Adi.

I know video editing can be a pain :crazy_face:

Sorry for not trimming out the other section Dave however I couldn’t find any clean break to do it without wounding wonky so decided to leave it as after few times relistening I still wasn’t able to pick up what went wrong :rofl:

1 Like

I have had a couple of days and out of action.
The OM will be one of the first places I make time to catch up.
:slight_smile:

3 Likes

Popping in a little late here. Just want to say I really enjoyed the OM. Everyone did great, even with a hiccup or two, perseverance took over and then the performances were spot on. The whole show was so fun.

Sad to have missed the live chat after the show. I signed off too fast.

Thanks for the encouragement on this feed for those of us who haven’t tried to perform to shake the nerves and just go for it. I’m listening.

6 Likes

Pam

I think you would do just fine, based on what you posted in the past. Just think of recording a video of yourself. After all its just you and the camera in that room of yours :wink:
Another tip that may help, is talking to yourself as if there is a audience in that room with you. OK maybe I have an advantage as it helps to be a little mad. But see what I do in my dry runs. Its not only song practice, there is a bit of banter practice as well.

OM IX Pam ?? Your vocals and playing ?? You know it makes sense.

Cheers

Toby
:sunglasses:

6 Likes

That was a great open mic. Everyone performing was fantastic and should be really proud of themselves. You were all headliner performers. Bravo.

3 Likes

Just had a quick glance into the session during lunch break. Congrats to all performers. I really admire all of you for having the courage to play and sing for the community! All of you did a great job, hats off! I also like the social element of bringing people together from all over the world. Nice also to see your faces (and guitars!) behind the usernames.

4 Likes

Thank you Andrea, why not join us for OM IX ??

1 Like

Don’t worry about it Adi. Enough on your plate. In the cold light of day wasn’t too much of a disaster :crazy_face:

Thanks for putting the time in.

Congratulations to everyone else, fantastic all round!

1 Like

So back in the office today (we’ve just started doing 1 day a week again), very quiet only a handful of people in and a little spare time to listen through properly :wink:

(NB: ran fowl of only being able to @ 10 users so had just bold the rest).

David nicely managed as always…laughed at your knicker throwing comment at the start.

@SgtColon Didn’t know this song but sounded confident and started strongly. Nice clean chords. Recording of the guitar spot on and just need those vocals a little higher in the mix. Vocal overall sounded great. You handled that little slip great…exactly the way to do it.

@KevinKevan A cover and original! great job. Nice job on the Verve a deceptively difficult song to play and sing. Shame we got some network issues in the middle…but you got most of the way through. Loved the original…really nice chord progression. Definitely a toe tapper.

Adi Black Betty - Shredded it! Awesome solo intro and bloody quick. Really impressive and your skills are coming on in leaps and bounds.

Semi Pro switching guitars for the second :joy: A very nice version of “More than words” though. I really do like this song and your version is very good. Your vocal on this sounded really strong. Very nice picked outro as well.

@tRONd - A standing performance…did it very well. I did feel for you after Adi performance. A lovely song and strong vocal as always to complement some nice playing. I can just imagine you playing live in a “real world” OM.

@Mann_und_Mouse Raphael You sounded very nervous on your intro (I’m sure you were) but as soon as you started playing everything was great…faultless and very nice rendition of a great song. Really nice dynamics on the vocal as well.

Toby Well no audio/video issues this time which was good! Waiting for a Friend - Sounded very comfortable on this one Toby. Great song and performance. Standing as well so even better! Really enjoyed the second track. Not one I knew but loved your intro and definitely had a bit more of a connection with it.

@eric.lennon nice playing! seriously some nice technical skill there…wasn’t expecting such a great vocal. Love a little CCR too.

@iainism Really nice song and not one I knew. Liked the percussion towards the end. Simply but very effective.

@liaty Dave straight into it! loved the tone and the attitude…sounded brilliant. Great performance. Really nice to hear the contrast on the second song as well. Definitely nothing to be disappointed about in those performances.

Mari/Krista - good to see you both looking so well. Well you can never put a good song down and this version was just as good as all the rest. Really confident performance. Nice playing Mari and super Vocal Krista.

@philsmith Nice progress for just two years. Good movement between chords and nice and clean playing. Good emphasis on the chorus as well. Love a little Tears for Fears.

@TheCluelessLuthier Mark&Jen I liked the hat(s) as well! and another version of Have you ever seen the rain. Great performance both really kept the song moving along at a nice tempo. Look forward to hearing more at the next OM.

@John_in_Dot John Another CCR one! popular tonight. Nice version of Bad Moon rising. Guitar sounded great volume wise, just needed to lift the vocal a little. Kudos for the performance.

JK Very mind bending to see you playing at dawn! lovely acoustic tone on your guitar. Didn’t know the song but you carried it off well. It may have been nerve wracking but you did a good performance.

Shane…Whooop last performer of the night/first of the day! Raining in Australia nooo. Nice percussive strumming really gave the song a good uptempo beat.

11 Likes

Cheers Jason, means a lot :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

@Rossco01 Thank you for your feedback Jason, it is really appreciated. I’ll have a play with the mic location. It was a little lower in it’s position than normal.

Thanks Jason, appreciate the thoughtful comments

Thanks Jason and kudos for watching it back to back, clearly seems you guys are just getting back if you managed to watch it all :grinning:

1 Like

You guys are all playing and singing at a level I can not keep up at the moment. I’m in since Sept. 09 and currently between Module 9 and 10. Believe me, I have to learn a lot, before I’ll strain your ears :slightly_smiling_face:.
After watching the session, I was ready to hide myself in a big, big hole. Oh, man! Still at the foot of the mountain compared to the performers. As long as my dog leaves the room when I grab my guitar (and normaly, she is always around me), there is a lot to improve… but maybe in a year or two… who knows?

1 Like

Andrea

We honestly welcome folk at all levels, as its for fun and experience. But I hear you. Why not sign up for the audience. Come along and get a vibe for how it all goes down on the night. It is very different to watching the video and from what was said post the event, may even give you that spark to dip your toes in.

Cheers

Toby

2 Likes

I would say Andrea don’t worry and take your time. Everyone who performs in that OM has been through the same process. Toby is writing up a little background/history to OM and why it started but probably worth remembering that those “old timers” who you see as highly competent have/had been submitting stuff to AVOYP for years before we started the OM…what I would do is look at the the first OM we did in the archives! that was the one where most people had NEVER performed in a live situation. All the nerves, uncertainty and inexperience on full show. Most people have now done it 5-6 times so it’s getting easier hence it looks more professional. Plenty of first timers on this months though.

2 Likes

Props to you Jason for taking the time to watch and review every performer, that’s brilliant.

And I’m glad you liked the original and it’s chord progression, thank you!

2 Likes