Open Mic 22 : Recording & After-Show Chat

Stick with it Dale, I think you have a lot of tech going on there so there is always a chance for something to play up, but it’s worth the effort. :+1:

2 Likes

True Shane, it’s tough with the Clubs too but I guess the penalty we pay for being in such a great place.

2 Likes

Great performances by all! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Congrats Andreas @andyPlays and Lisa @Lisa_S on your debuts! And Lisa, debuting with an original song? Wow!

Jeremy @jgottwals - I loved the pair of Neil Young songs, especially Needle and Damage Done. It looked like a pretty tricky piece, and your vocals were very ‘Neil.’ Also, if I may ask, what model Taylor were you playing? I’m strongly considering one for my next guitar, and yours sounded lovely!

Mal and Lara @Malz @ElleDeeGee , your harmonies were beautiful, as always, and Big Yellow Taxi suited Lara’s voice so well. Great job!

Brian and Chris @brianlarsen , both songs in A minor were delightfully depressing. The mandolin was a nice complement to the vocals in the first, and the fiddle made the second one so much more depressing than it would have been otherwise.

Richard @Richard_close2u , the piece you played was sublime (I also enjoyed all of the ‘C’ puns from the peanut gallery in the chat)

@Jenndye429 Super fun to be a test audience for the DyeV originals! Rock on!

Dale @Charlie_James , the Pink Floyd cover was well worth the wait (and all your troubleshooting efforts/perseverance) - very impressive!

5 Likes

Another fantastic show. Well done everyone, some absolute belters in there.

A big congratulations to @andyPlays Andreas and @Lisa_S Lisa on your debuts. Really well done both of you. :clap:

2 Likes

Apologies for dropping out of the OM soon after my slot, but fatigue caught up with me :roll_eyes:
Not as enjoyable to perform underprepared/under the weather but a useful learning experience-
A good reminder of what professional musicians have to constantly do.
Cheers @jkahn for getting it out that speedily. It was nice to dip in and out of it over the Sunday :smiley:
A big congratulations again to the first timers @Lisa_S and @andyPlays and special shout outs to all of those who overcame technical hitches like pros. You know who you are :wink:
Kudos to DŸEV for playing original material and @Charlie_James for the ‘educational’ finale :open_mouth:

3 Likes

The one I had to repeat was Budapest by George Ezra. I played it as per Justin’s lesson on it

@southpaw6 So is this what your cat thinks of your playing Hilary? :laughing: Mine usually yowls and hides in the closet.

1 Like

So many great songs presented but what a wonderful fingerstyle performance by Richard!

2 Likes

As you can see, he’s completely indifferent to my guitar playing, off doing his own thing rather than paying any attention at all :laughing:

After a very busy Sunday and Monday, just now getting round to checking this thread. Yet another great time had watching and participating in this OM.

Super job to our debutantes @Lisa_S and @andyPlays it was GREAT to hear some songs in German! I think, as an English speaker living in a non-English speaking country, we don’t give the credit where it’s due to people who are singing in English as a second language. Although I don’t benefit from understanding the lyrics to the German language songs, it was fabulous to watch you sing them. The feeling around your playing was quite distinct from the songs in English you did. @Lisa_S gets a special mention for bringing an original to her debut!! I hope to write some songs one day.

@Jenndye429 and the members of DyeV keep those originals coming!! You’re onta something. . .

@Eccleshall very much ejoyed both the songs you played. I had never heard Pay Day before and although I have heard about Little Feat for years and years I’ve never managed to get to sit down and listen. I’ve heard Willin’ just once before --quite enjoyable version you put together. Will definitely make some time for Little Feat now. Thanks for that!!

@Charlie_James you soldiered through some technical issues to deliver a fantastic performance, I really enjoyed watching the one man band approach and thought that your use of a looper was really spot on – you picked a great tune. It was super entertaining. Well done!

@Richard_close2u you’ve inspired me to put together an altered tuning fingerpicking song. I hadn’t heard BronY’Aur since the days of black light posters and friday night “basement parties”. Brought me straight back to a specific time and place. Really well picked (in both senses)!!

@southpaw6 the Taylor is a 514ce. I bought it in 2001 when I was flush and badly suffering from GAS on a trip to the US from Mozambique where I was living at the time. It was the best sounding guitar I had ever heard, I had the money at the time and took the plunge. I have NEVER regretted it. It is my go to instrument. I will say that I don’t much like the electronics (the Expression System that Taylor uses) when played through an amp. I will eventually change the pick up over to something that does the instrument justice (think RL Baggs) but if and only if I end up playing live on a regular basis.

I keep learning all these great things when doing these “live” performances. Yet, I felt a bit let down by my performance on hearing it back. The “pick click” problem in Don’t Let it Bring You Down was a bit disappointing.

I realise that I was unable to get through the tuning transition from the first song, collect myself and focus a bit before going into Needle and the Damage Done. I false started and then just kind of panicked and set about playing a really sloppy, ever accelerating version of a song that I really love and wanted to play with feeling and “touch.” It wasn’t to be. Nerves again, I guess. I will be posting a A.V.O.Y.P of that song here at some point in the future, cause saturday night I felt I didn’t do it justice.

For me, these OMs are a great opportunity to learn about the ins and outs of playing in front of others in a setting that isn’t a beach party or campfire. Much more tricky in a more formal setting. Had a great time getting ready and playing it was a blast.

A really big thank you to @eric.lennon for taking the time to host!! And while @TheMadman_tobyjenner, once again, gets a heartelt thanks for being the “OM-Man”, I think @jkahn deserves special mention for having stayed up to ensure we got a good recording and that it was out in record time. Thanks also to @Richard_close2u who did double duty spotlighting and fingerpickin!

Once again I had a blast, Thanks to all who played and watched!!

7 Likes

Eric, indeed you helped. Some of your calmness swapped right over to me, thanks again. Also for your very kind words. :slight_smile:

Colin @Elixir1253, JK @jkahn, Dale @Charlie_James, Craig @CD02, Hilary @southpaw6, Stefan @SgtColon, Brian @brianlarsen and Jeremy @jgottwals

Thank you all so much for your kind word, it really means a lot to me. :blush:

It’s also reassuring to read that lots of you folks enjoyed the German songs. Maybe it’s because English is our common language in an international society that keeps us non-natives shying away from songs in our mother tongues. But to hear and read that the feeling still gets transferred is a great thing that makes me happy. :smiley: On the other hand, I recall Andres’ performances of one of last year’s OMs quite well and despite not understanding the words, I felt it, the music told the story. :slight_smile: Great stuff and magic music can create. So don’t know why I had doubts in first place.

2 Likes

Hi Dale,

Thank you for the kind words of encouragement for the performance we did. My goal was simply to put my music out there and have the audience listen and share feedback. You definitely did that. The Pink Floyd song was so awesome and worthy of the price of admission. Even though we ate our meat, @TheMadman_tobyjenner said we still couldn’t have any pudding :rofl:. I appreciate the chance to perform and can only improve with practice.

Thanks all.

2 Likes

Wow, cedar + mahogany for that model!! And what a great back story for your guitar! I don’t think they’re making anything with cedar these days. Fortunately, I’m not super interested in playing plugged in (looks like all their guitars these days come with the ES2 pickup), so your caveat about the amp isn’t a deterrent!

Just finished watching the show - sorry I had to miss it live, but a set of superb performances by all involved. The thing that pleases me is that it’s not just a case of watching someone do their best to play music, but the performances really are entertaining and enjoyable. You’re not just students - you’re entertainers. It’s a testament to your hard work and talent folks!

Obviously special congratulations this time to Lisa and Andreas - I know how tough it is to push yourself to do it for the first time. Welcome to the club!

3 Likes

Hi all, good show. It was full of talent, surprises, debuts, originals, and more. Those who had any technical issue, good they were able to surpass it, and we could enjoy their performance.

2 Likes

1 of 2 posts;
I’ve just managed to catch up after being away for the weekend and no t’inernet. Again what a great show. Well done @eric.lennon for being a very slick MC, and showing us a very enviable guitar wall. I’ve actually shortlisted WAWW for my funeral service! :rofl:
Really impressed with @andyPlays , a confident debut, impressive multi angle camerawork looking forward to hearing you perform again.
@theoldman66 lovely guitar work complimented by the vocals.
@Eccleshall Ruaraidh, superb sound from your guitar, and really pleasant vocals. I saw your missus sitting enjoying your performance, well done.
@jgottwals wow, as a Neil Young lover I was very impressed with your covers. I’m working away at Needle so pretty inspired with your version.
@Lisa_S again, what a very impressive debut, looking forward to you performing regularly.
@mathsjunky very assured performance, well done.
@Malz you and Laura hitting the mark again, having said that all you need to do is play a Joni song and you’re ahead already! Always a great performance you two.
@brianlarsen as usual, off the wall and so entertaining and that’s before you start performing!. Kudos to Chris, talented fella. Well done.
@Richard_close2u just wow… such a humble but talented guitar player. Stunning performance of a classic LZ track. Loving your Club classes, and much appreciated.
2nd post to follow;

4 Likes

2 of 2 posts;@TheCluelessLuthier Mark and Jen, you guys just get me smiling right from the off. Another fine performance.
@SDKissFan well played Jeff, loving the backdrop! Kudos for doing a GaGa song, well done lad!
Well done to Dan for coming in at short notice during Dale’s teccy issues. Lovely finger style which I can only aspire to, great performance.
@Jenndye429 I watched you and Dan’s first ever OM performance, you’ve both have had a helluva journey since then. Well done on getting the band together. Special mention and appreciation to Dan for the cymbal appreciation at the end of each performance.
@Charlie_James Jeezo man, despite all the tech issues that performance was so impressive. Very well done sir :+1:

This show is so inspirational, must get my name down at some point this year.
Looking forward to the next show, it’s an absolute highlight! Well done to all the folk who put this together including @TheMadman_tobyjenner @jkahn @DavidP :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

6 Likes

Hi Ian,

Thanks so much for the positive comments and words of encouragement. I look forward to participating again sometime. Cheers

1 Like

Thank you Ian! My first performance was a bit of a mess :laughing: But I’ve kept at it and I’m super proud of how far I’ve come :grin:

2 Likes

Thank you for the kind words Ian. :smiley:

1 Like