Open Mic 24 : Recording & After-Show Chat

Ooh, Nice Catch!

1 Like

Colin @Elixir1253
A lot of good music around in the 70ā€™s which in my view worth listening to.
Michael
PS will be back got another song in mind from that era but not Lindisfarne

1 Like

:pray: thank you so much Craig, very much appreciated. Well, I arranged it for fingerpicking because I donā€™t rate my strumming that highly ā€¦ yeah I know, a kinda self-defeating prophecy.

Anyhoo, when I heard the song on Spotify about a month ago, the lyric really chimed with much of my working life. I donā€™t recall the actual song on one of Justinā€™s Lessons but he suggested that it sounded good; either strumming or picking, and thought Iā€™d give it a go.

Inwardly, it also felt like I ā€œperformed the songā€ on the night, ie. a step beyond ā€œplaying a songā€; and I put that down to not having many prompts (distractions ?) on the night (viz. Tab or Chord/Lyrics).

However, I was brought back down to earth with my second song. Clearly, a performance of Going to California is work-in-progress ā€¦ one day ! :sunglasses:

1 Like

You have eagle eyes :smiley::+1:.

1 Like

Another great episde with singinging, instrumentals and even a full band! dayum!

There is one thing I want to ask though:

Mark | You have an AWESOME natural voice when you are talking but you should use it better in that song; transposing it down would bring so much warmth to it as it would land in a more suitable range for you. I hear you do crooner range yourself with that warm voice of yours. Consider/try it!

I imagine myself you with a mic in your hand, using that naturally warm voice doing cash, Sinatra, jones, whateverā€¦

You did well but I was REALLY hoping you were about to fill up those lower/ lower mid registers so I was a tiny bit disappointed there :wink:

3 Likes

It was a big pleasure to share the virtual stage with such talented performers and in front of such enthusiastic audience. Congratulations to @mat1953 for his successful debut. Thank you David @DavidP for hosting and Toby @TheMadman_tobyjenner for the organization, technical support during the show, and postproduction, including editing out my warmup. Zoom counterintuitive interface got me confused with the original sound setting and I ended changing it after my sound check without rechecking it. Luckily I was able to keep the focus on the song for the second take. It was my first OM playing with a pick so I had several picks handy in case my pick started to dance La Bamba on its own. Thank you Brian @brianlarsen, Mari @Mari63, and Bruce @Brucie for commenting on my participation.

4 Likes

:blush: ā€¦ nothing too clever from me Nicole, I recognised the headstock shape as a friend in Canada has one ā€¦ just need to read the full spec in your Log now ā€¦ :wink:

1 Like

Hi Lieven, thank you for the positivity as well as the feedback / observation.

I love that you hear the potential there, that means a lot but I have to admit the whole range thing with my vocals is becoming really confusing to find a sweet spot. If I pick some of my more recent recordings, like For No-One as an example, there were comments it was possibly slightly too low, with this being too high! I feel more comfortable, I have to say, with slightly lower. Admittedly, this was right at the top end of my range, especially the variations in the last verse. This might be a weird question but any advice on how I could isolate it better? (hopefully not seeing which Do-Re-Me scale I am happiest with :wink: :rofl: )

Thank you again! :+1:

That is a very valuable question my friend.

In my Live Clubs, I have mentioned in more than 3 separate sessions that finding a suitable key is one of the first steps in taking control of a song, as a first step to ā€œmake it your ownā€.

This is exactly that.

• You can transpose every song up and down with increments of a semitone.
  • You can train your range. most of that comes with singing a lot and a proper technique. (standing up while singing is pro tip #1 )
  • transposing it low enough and gradually moving up the capo is the easiest way to find a good range
  • you might need to transpose the song first to a key on the ā€œother side of the spectrumā€ in order to find a key to start off with and go on moving up that capo. You can use this website to copy paste a song with chords and transpose it (handy tool!) Automatically Transpose Song Chords to a New Key
  • write down a table with keys and play the song in different keys. rate how well it felt
  • record yourself as well and rate your performances
  • identifty the highest and lowest parts; by testing these, you will quickly know where the absolute heaven and bedrock of your working terrain will be when trying certain keys
  • donā€™t forget that you can also transpoe the guitar chords up a bunch of steps to then sing an octave lower instead of following pitch
  • match the ratings of what you felt and what you hear. the overlap of the best ratings and in extension some keys up and down will be the range for you to go looking for a range. Donā€™t forget that as you sing more and more , a song could eventually land a key lower or higher. Being flexible in this practice will give you the tool to adjust when you want to rub on to a higher key after a while, feeling solid in your initial key. Or it can help you tune down just one step lower when you have a live gig while feeling ill or something. (been there, done that ;))
2 Likes

@Notter I hope you donā€™t mind me butting in on the vocal range question. @LievenDV offers excellent advise, just follow that. :smiley:

And to add a bit that may or may not be helpful: In For No-One you sing a range of F#2-G3 and in Fly Me To The Moon itā€™s C3-D4. Listening you how your voice sounds I would guess that your comfortable range currently would be somewhere around A2-A3. That would put For No-One 3 semitones up and Fly Me To The Moon 3 semitones down.
BUT, I think that with a bit of practice and added confidence, you could sing Fly Me To The Moon in the same key as now and still get that warm fullness from your speaking voice come through.

1 Like

Thank you Lieven, that website will be mega useful for this, Iā€™ll try revisiting some songs I know well to experiment with. The octave lower ā€œtrickā€ Iā€™ve done before and works in some cases but not in others. Super appreciated as always!

And thank you @jacobbonde , I donā€™t mind anyone butting in, especially with insights like that!! :heartbeat:

1 Like

Itā€™s great that youā€™re staying positive and finding a way forward! Every step is a learning experience, and itā€™s good to be your own critic. Keep up the good work and enjoy the process!

1 Like

Blimey, did I write that , and only two months ago ?

Led Zeppelinā€™s "Going to Californiaā€™ remains on the ā€˜improvers listā€™ ā€¦ that pesky little riff at the end of the intro is a mental hurdle for me, one that sets the scene for the rest of a performance, but never say never. :wink:

Some tough love for me two weeks ago; a Dreadnought is not really helping my progress and decided to sell the Auden ā€¦ missing that warm, full, cedar tone though ā€¦ :cry: ā€¦ But, hey, I have an OM with a cedar top, so stop dripping, Colin !!

Going to a guitar meet-up next week, letā€™s see how it goes ā€¦ :crossed_fingers:

Thank you for your kind words, Bridget, appreciated :pray: :blush: