Open Mic 25 : Recording & After-Show Chat

Very sensible. What with family matters and practising for the OM I am seriously behind with month 1…and I see the wrap up is this coming week! :fearful:

3 Likes

Oh don’t tell me that! I’m also incredibly behind month 1 due to OM practice.

2 Likes

Thanks to everyone and sorry for being such an apathetic audience member this time.

Unfortunately I really nodded off at some point ( and no… that has absolutely nothing to do with the performances but more with the so tiring weather here currently and with the fact that Finnish time is three hours ahead of Uk time…). I still remember @Alexeyd’s mesmerizing performance and @DavidP’s so charming cover of that White Stripes song, I do remember finding the combination of @Eccleshall’s two songs cinematic and most interesting from a storytelling perspective, but then it gets dark …

I will check the recording. Thanks @jkahn for making it available so fast.

6 Likes

Oh, so glad to see that there’s a recording of the OM already :smiley:

Again, I hadn’t been able to attend on a Saturday evening, so this is very much appreciated and I’ll save this for a nice and cozy evening to watch the performances.

Thank you very much, Richard, JK, all performers and everyone who had been involved :sunflower:
These events keep me motivated :guitar:

2 Likes

I’m very sorry to read about your loss, Aims.
I hope that music can provide some comfort.
Wishing you the very best :mending_heart:

2 Likes

Thank you :pray:t2:

Thank you, hope over the next few days I can start to play again :pray:t2:

Thanks for understanding and sorry for your loss :pray:t2:

Thanks so true she was my one and only audience member :pray:t2:

Thanks for the kind words :pray:t2:

Thank you and sorry for your loss :pray:t2:

1 Like

Just caught up with a ‘rewind’ today, due to the intermittent “not spots” on the M5/M4 where I missed listening to the show during the drive home last night.

Super show, and well played everyone … :clap: :clap: :clap:… with thanks also to my fellow audience for tuning with their support.

Many thanks to @Richard_close2u and @jkahn for pulling the levers behind the curtain and ensuring a well managed stage for all the acts … a ‘smooth canoe’ chaps … :+1: :+1:

Hopefully my calendar works next time for an OM XXVI performer slot … :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

@Richard_close2u Thanks again for picking up the loose ball and running with it, Richard. Never mind the odd flub, really appreciate you making it happen, adding to all you already do.

@jkahn appreciate you joining before the birds began to sing, JK, taking care of all the technical support

@JokuMuu that’s ever so kind, Nicole. Search out Jack Johnson’s rendition. I heard him play it first and was surprised to learn it was actually a White Stripes song. Just as I was surprised to learn One was original U2 after falling in love with Johnny Cash’s version (one day maybe)

3 Likes

It was such a great show yesterday :star_struck:. Congratulations to all performers. Every single one of you did so well :clap::clap::clap:.
I’m currently on holidays in the Alps and had a weak internet connection. That’s why I couldn’t turn my camera on. I felt a bit guilty because of that. But at least I was able to watch and listen to the performances :blush:.

3 Likes

Didn’t manage to attend last night’s OM as got a last minute ticket for the Open golf at Royal Troon so wasn’t home in time. Got absolutely soaked to the skin however! :smiley:
Looking forward to watching the OM recording.

1 Like

Just watched the OM replay. Very enjoyable, although sound issues unfortunately seemed to plague a few performances.
Don’t want to pick favourites, but I will.

Great to see you @DavidP back in action mate. Always enjoy listening to you.

@twistor59. All class again Phil. A few notes, on a few strings, over a 3 chord progression, and look what you did with them. Masterful my friend. That Gilmour comment at the end - I think it was from @TheMadman_tobyjenner - was exactly what I was thinking.
( I found myself again, having a few listens, taking some notes, and stealing :nerd_face:).

@mathsjunky. Great rendition Paul. Really enjoyed that mate. Very clean too, moving from rhythm to lead. You made it look easy, and it sounded great.

Cheers, Shane

3 Likes

Cheers Shane, it’s a great song to play. I kicked off with BLIM lick #1 and messed that up a little. There were supposed to be a few other licks in there, but they were bottled/forgotten in the live situation!

2 Likes

Thanks very much, Shane, kind, generous and supportive as always.

1 Like

Hi all,

First @Guitaraims Aims ,

It always hurts a little when I read this… lots of strength for the time to come :mending_heart:

I have already seen 2 (or three) 1 of Mark and Toby and that asks for more, so I will have to free up some time. On Saturday I missed somewhere that it has suddenly become a 2 hour time difference with London… what are you doing with that clock? ???

And it was very hot here, 32c, which made sitting inside very unpleasant, so it was the garden’s turn that evening … although we did have a nice day out that day…to the pre-cut vegetable shelf, then to the cheese department and after a long time back home via the freezer department were also some small coolers with drinks … :blush:

Greetings

3 Likes

Big thank you to @Richard_close2u (and of course @TheMadman_tobyjenner for supporting him) and @jkahn for making this happen. A very entertaining evening it was! To anyone who’s on the verge of deciding to do one, please go for it. I’ve done about 6 ish now, and the nerves lessen every time (still get slightly sweaty hands tho!). It’s a great experience and well worth the effort.

Oh, @Alexeyd I’m eagerly awaiting the release of your course on fast alternate picking - awesome technique!

4 Likes

Cheers Shane! but really it was a case of using a wash of distortion, delay and sustain to make up for a lack of musical imagination :rofl:

2 Likes

Surely, you jest Phil. :sunglasses::wink:

2 Likes

:smiley:
Great idea! I’ll call it “Alternate cheating with a pick” :laughing:

4 Likes

Well done to all performers, I had a blast watching the show and feeling like I attended the live event again :slight_smile: good to see some old, some new, and some in-new rendition faces (wink to you Dave and your band!) :grinning: stellar job from organisers as well, still impressed how quickly JK sorts out those videos. My laptop would be frying itself for hours before being ready to render final video :grinning:

4 Likes

Thanks so much :pray:t2:

2 Likes