Open Mic Livestream 03: Recording + After-Show Party & Chat

Thanks @LunaRocket, glad you enjoyed it.

1 Like

I’ll take that, thanks :wink:. I figured finding the intersection of a song that’s well known and one I can do well was important, so: Hurt. Especially when nobody would know the other one :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great show tonight! Maybe someday I’ll be ready and brave enough to do this!

2 Likes

Very inspiring! I really was glad I was able to listen in. Thanks to everyone who played and Justin and Richard for setting it up. I think it went off well with a few minor blips that were probably expected with participants around the world. Pretty amazing it can be done at all!

“Touch-a-touch me” made me laugh like cra-zy!

4 Likes

Thank you so much @JustinGuitar. You have brought me so much the last few years by teaching me guitar, and thank you to the support of this community. All of your rocked!

4 Likes

A good smartphone will suffice to be fair, I did my first few Open Mics in here with just my phone and tripod and it worked a charm! All depends how much fancy stuff you want to have on

What a show, couldnt make the live but well worth watching an listening, amazing job everyone

Jenndye429 thougth that second one was very PJ harvey, you need to add a bassist ! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I watched the recording as I was away today. Great show everyone ! Congrats for having the guts to play on a show live on youtube. It’s a huge step in your guitar learning journey, you can be proud of yourselves.

2 Likes

Okay Blues Lesson: I had to restrain myself because of time, but here are the two things I wanted to say.

Regarding altered tuning, even though we think of it now based on chords (Open E, G, C etc.), the old heads did not think of it this way. To them Open D and E were the same because they had the same intervals between strings with roots on the 6, 4, and 1 string. They often called this Vetapol tuning because there was a popular song called Vetapol played with it. Apparently, it was originally popular among women in the late 1800s playing small guitars in their parlor Here is Elizabeth Cotten playing it. Open G and Open A where the root is on the 5th and 3d string were called Spanish tuning (don’t know why). Cross-note tuning was where you tuned your guitar to a minor chord or sometimes minor seventh with roots on the 6 and 4 and the 7th or root again on string 1. Robert Johnson did this some, and Skip James was famous for this.

I need to give credit to Stefan Grossman’s material for teaching me this. It really helps make Open tuning not so daunting when you just think of it as three main types and really two main types (Vestapol and Spanish), regardless of the key. Also, most licks and chords that work in Open D work in Open G as well and vice versa. You just have to move them either up a string or down a string depending upon the root. This was mind-blowing to me when I made this connection.

As a side note, y’all know I am an apologist for Lonnie Johnson and how important he was to the history of blues, jazz, and pop guitar. I made a thread on it a while back. His pre-WW2 hits when he played his most complicated pieces were in a tuning kind of like open G (D-G-B-G-B-E) but instead of the root being on the first string like you’d expect (i.e., a D) he left the bottom two strings in standard making it basically an open add 9 tuning. Weird, but his chops were developed in the streets of New Orleans and playing river boats in Saint Louis way before anything became standardized. I just don’t know if anyone else did this. Is it a Lonnie thing or a jazz thing or just a mystery?

4 Likes

I agree! We’re working on it :wink:

2 Likes

Regarding Shake Your Money Maker. As @DavidP mentioned, it became quite popular when recorded by Peter Green on Fleetwood’s first album in 1967, but it’s not original to him. It’s an Elmore James song, first recorded in New Orleans in Cosimo Matassa’s studio in 1961. Side note: I just got back from a trip to New Orleans and definitely visited it as well as took in a Jazz guitar show, played by Steve Masakowski. Second Side note: Peter Green had some awesome blues stuff in early Fleetwood. “Albatross,” “Black Magic Woman,” and the whole album of “They Play On”. My fav on that album is Showbiz Blue, which is in Open D, but “Oh Well” is probably the best song on the album.

My favorite version, however, was done in 1965 by the Paul Butterfield Blues Band. i like this live performance because it has a better guitar solo by Mike Bloomfield and Paul shows off his harmonica chops, which he doesn’t do on the LP. They were one of the only bands of the 60s to play at Newport, Monterey, and Woodstock. Racially integrated and more Chicago blues than the Stones ever thought they were. Wish they got more recognition.

4 Likes

Uuh… Can’t believe, I missed this. Thunderstormy weather here, I had such a headache. So, I thought… I’ll just close my eyes for half an hour. Well, I will have to watch the recording it seems :slightly_smiling_face:

Too bad I couldn’t see everyone perform live. I’ll make sure to watch the stream asap.

But nevertheless I already wanted to congratulate all the performer for stepping up. Well done :clap::clap::clap:

3 Likes

Thank you Justin for putting this together, it was a great evening, tech issues notwithstanding.
An idea, in a future show, perhaps everyone might be able to play one song together, a little like ‘Playing For Change’ on YouTube. I know the logistics of such an endeavour must be horrendous, but if at all possible, it could be wonderful.
Thanks again.

3 Likes

Added in post #1 and in the Youtube video description.
:slight_smile:

3 Likes

It is impossible I’m afraid Mal due to out-of-sync sound.

Ah, that is a pity. So how do ‘Playing For Change’ do it. Recorded individually and then edited?

I don’t know what Playing For Change is but if it is videos of many people across the world, it must be pre-recorded.

I just went to go watch my own performance to see how it was and hey, turns out it replays the youtube comments too while watching! Which was pretty cool to see. Thanks for all the kudos on my original song, super cool to read those comments especially from youtube people (rather than community ones).

8 Likes

Thanks a lot for this fantastic event @JustinGuitar!
And thanks a lot to all performers!! You’ve done a wonderful job :+1::clap::star_struck:!!
Simply amazing :smiley:.

2 Likes