Pagination Issues - Can't align text

Okay I found a better way, how about this then:

Becomes:

zone time name
utc +1 hh:mm name
utc hh:mm name
utc +5 hh:mm name
utc +?? hh:mm name

I’m really liking this Discourse editor to be honest, plenty powerful just not very intuitive.

1 Like

@ Keith,
Nice work on the graphics! Jolly good show I think you guys say over that way…

I used to have Visio and it was powerful. But this Google Drawing will likely do all I need to hammer out! Thanks for sharing it!
:smiley:
LB

Toby,

I figured I was missing something. Though I think on your excellent routing post you put together, I would go for the graphic. But as you say, the need for tabs and columns type formatting is there in what you do. It may be just a matter of sorting it out. Using the tools others have mentioned and finding the best way to do it.

All the best!
LB

Performers

UTC+2   hh:mm           David/DavidP, Ivan/SS7
UTC+1   hh:mm           Toby/TobyJenner, Luka/glpguitar, Rob/RFW
UTC     hh:mm           Jason/Rossco01, Mike/pikeamus, Adrian/Adi_mrok
UTC-5   hh:mm           Tosh/phx1973, Mari/embishop (19th only)

Audience
UTC     hh:mm           Darrell

Possibles
UTC+11  hh:mm           Maggie/Batwoman, Tony/ynot (TZ tbc as travelling Oz)

OK so this is plain bizzare. To get the format as above, simple blocking then hitting </> threw it out but I then took all the special, non alphanumerics out bar the + & : and it was 90% correct and I just needed to adjust a couple of line. I then went back and added to / ( ) etc.

I’m cream crackered after that ! And still don’t get the different colours ? It seems random ??

Zone Time Performers
UTC+2 hh:mm DavidP, SS7
UTC+1 hh:mm TobyJenner, glpguitar
UTC hh:mm Rossco01, pikeamus, Adi_mrok
UTC+5 hh:mm phx1973, embishop
UTC+?? hh:mm RFW
Audience
DarrellW
Possibles
UTC+11 Batwoman, ynot (TZ TBC as travelling OZ)

How to get this:

You mean like this
and you just repeat
for each subsequent line
Zone Time Username Name
That’s Cool Ivan SS7 Thanks

:metal: :smiley: :upside_down_face: :boom:

@tobyjenner happy to help :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Seems like this is solved now.

But, continuing with clever things you can do with Google Draw, you can publish a drawing and embed it into a post. Later edits to that image will update the image in that post (it takes a few minutes for the update to propagate, and you will need to refresh the page to see it).

So you could, if you wanted, have something like this as a pinned post, and just update the original document as things change:

The original for this is at:

I’ve allowed edit permissions (for the moment) if you want to play.

Cheers,

Keith

1 Like

That’s a great tip Keith - especially for something like an OM thread in post no. 1 where the expressions of interest can be updated and always remain in post 1.

All very good and I agree with Richard about being able to keep the original post up to date but I guess I am more of a one stop shop person. I don’t really want to be bouncing around different apps, just to keep one updated. I should be able to do it at source. Call me old fashioned !

Also people will only read the latest or unread post in a thread anyway, you don’t go to the top of the shop every time and work down, so you would have to repost something like this each time it was updated or repost the link. If you are doing that you may was well doing from one place. Cut n shut of the table with be as easy as cutting and shutting the link.

My 2 cents but I am an old luddite at the end of the day. :grumpyoldmenemoji

@SS7 :+1: :+1: on your use of the Pre-formatted text. As you say the Editor is powerful but not always obvious what it is doing. Like Discobot it seems to have a mind of its own. To me it appears that it figured out that you were producing a table and bolded the headings above the underline.

@tobyjenner I’m also baffled by the font colour changes.

As for the use of a Google doc that auto updates, I can see the pros and cons.

If we did choose that route, then I would suggest that we have a specific Roster topic, that a Trusted person adds a new post to for each event. And it could be a Topic that is blocked for Replies (like the event recordings archive). Then we could run the chatter as we do now and as people provide feedback the ringmaster could update the Doc and the Roster post would automatically update. And if doing so I’m sure that the Doc could have an automated “Last updated on” added to it.

That idea has some appeal to me, as it was a little tedious doing the copy, paste, edit from reply to reply each time the Roster needed updating on the Forum. It will be easier to do that in Discourse, but still perhaps more tedious than using the Doc once one is over that learning curve and setup effort.

@DavidP the editor in Discourse uses Markdown which is a markup language used for formatting text. I’m familiar with it because it is also used on Reddit. I can write up a guide but I’m not sure what category to put it in. #social:tips-from-the-community perhaps?

Thanks Ivan.

The Category makes sense to me.

Are there existing guides on the internet that you could link us to, rather than having to write something yourself?

Sure, there should be plenty. I’ll have a look around.

1 Like

@DavidP hey you were right! No need to write anything, there’s an excellent open-source guide online here: Markdown Guide

Made a topic with relevant links here: Tip: Use Markdown to format your posts

1 Like

It looks like it doesn’t work anyway. I’ve come back this morning and the changes I made to the Google Draw document yesterday have mysteriously reverted on the link posted via Discourse.

From a bit of research, it appears that Discourse caches the image locally and, eventually, replaces the URL with it’s own local one, so any updates to the original image don’t get reflected.

It’s a shame, as this approach works most other places, but it seems that it doesn’t on Discourse.

Cheers,

Keith

Thanks Keith.

That plus the update from Ivan on how to use Markdown means just sticking to managing this here in Discourse.

May still be worth looking into how best to make the roster visible, avoiding getting it lost in the chatter. I think maybe biggest challenge there may be ensuring one can continue to edit the post over the couple of months the Call For Interest runs.

I liked this suggestion and it swayed me to be more supportive of the GD solution, until I read Keith’s update.

I found the “markdown” commands for this easy to use and amended the OM6 Roster using it. As you may have seen I change the layout to single lines per user but that makes it even easier to add folks in leading up to the event. Down side it may end up being a bit lengthy but I think should be clearer.

@SS7 Thanks for that link I’ll take a read later (you ca’nt see this anyway at the mo lol)

@Richard_close2u I have removed the table, based on KMs update.

So it will look like this

Performers

Zone Time Name Username
UTC+2 hh:mm David DavidP
UTC+2 hh:mm Ivan SS7
UTC +1 hh:mm Toby glpguitar
UTC +1 hh:mm Rob R.F.W
UTC hh:mm Jason Roscco01
UTC hh:mm Mike pikemus
UTC hh:mm Adrian Adi_mrok
UTC -5 hh:mm Tosh phx1973
UTC -5 hh:mm Mari embishop

Audience

Zone Time Name Username
UTC hh:mm Darrell darrell

Possibles

Zone Time Name Username
UTC +11 hh:mm Maggie batwoman *
UTC +11 hh:mm Tony ynot **

*tbc when date and time set but could be the next day in Oz.
** timezone to be confirmed as circumnavigating Oz, so could be anywhere !

Once we agree on a start time, I’ll just add one entry per timezone, rather than each line. So it will appear like this.

Zone Time Name Username
UTC+2 hh:mm David DavidP
UTC+2 Ivan SS7
UTC +1 hh:mm Toby glpguitar
UTC +1 Rob R.F.W
UTC hh:mm Jason Roscco01
UTC Mike pikemus
UTC Adrian Adi_mrok
UTC -5 hh:mm Tosh phx1973
UTC -5 Mari embishop

Unless anyone thinks a time for each attendee would be better, open to suggestions.
BTW I was not expecting the empty time sections to work !!

Looks good, Toby. Now I suppose I should’ve just clicked :white_heart: since that positive feedback was not sufficiently verbose

There always ways to get around or over the wall and not through it !

Thankyou
Yourock

Think I’ll keep these in the bank !

1 Like