Parisienne Walkways #2 (A work in progress)

:clap: :clap: :clap:

You’re doing great, Mari. Beyond me to offer any suggestions.

On pedals, you could also drop Clint a DM if you want to go that route as I think he is quite dialed into sourcing for good value.

1 Like

Hi Mari,
Sounds like you are bending pretty much to the right spot. That is great and for that you are doing well. Keep up the good work!

Rock it down,
LB

1 Like

Getting there Mari! I’d agree with other comments a compressor and/or TS…bearing in mind a distortion pedal will compress to a degree anyway…if you got both compressor before distortion.

There is nice 3 part series here >> https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/how-to-get-the-most-from-your-compressor-pedal-part-1/ explaining compressors.

1 Like

@DavidP @LBro @Rossco01 thanks guys, and thanks for the tips on people and video resources, will follow up with both. Thanks.

I enjoyed watching this, Mari. Sounds like you got some great advice here. The song is very pretty. I’m not that familiar with Gary Moore. I may need to research more of his music.

1 Like

Hey Mari, thanks for the update! I think you about got it. If it were me I’d turn on the looper machine, record just the bass notes then play over that. (I’m not a fan of backing tracks.)

For tone just experiment with what you have. A touch of reverb, a touch more gain, tweak the volume knobs, tweak the tone knobs, I don’t play a Strat but I hear no one ever uses the bridge pup. More gear only if absolutely necessary.

Also maybe it just needs more vibrato. I don’t think it’s far off. I kept listening to the phrase at 1:00. Going into that bend, the note before needs some wiggle. And that’s about universal (except passing notes, or maybe even then) to get everything to smooth together. Play even slower, painfully slow, make yourself fall asleep slow to get the vibrato, bends, pitch, timing just the way you want.

Just some thoughts. What you have is already really impressive.

1 Like

Well I don’t know much, but my ears tell me you’ve improved much from the first version. Looking forward to the next update.

1 Like

Mari

Listening on the phone so quality is not as best as it could be. But sounds like you’re definitely getting there. Not really much else to add other than what’s gone before . A little bit more gain and potentially compression to help that sustained ring out your bends are certainly getting there, much better and I think you’re making great progress well done.:sunglasses:

1 Like

There’s always been discussion about whether you should put your TS before or after a compression pedal, personally I mostly use it before because you retain more of the dynamics, it’s more responsive to what you’re playing that way.

1 Like

I can hear improvement, so keep doing what you’re doing! You certainly picked quite a song for working on bends, that’s for sure. :slight_smile:

I have mixed feelings about the metronome. On the one hand, metronomes sound kinda ugly, but I like to have a timing reference in the audio when I’m listening and if you put it only in your headphones I’d miss out on that. Maybe a drum beat instead?

I agree with the comments about adding some compression and/or gain to help your sustain. Tone isn’t the real goal at this point, but having the sustain while you’re practicing and working on this would be helpful.

1 Like

That was excellent Mari. You can hear the improvements between the recordings.

Yes! To the metronome through the headphones, I found it a really distraction from your playing.

1 Like

Thanks Pam. I look forward to the day when I can actually play a few Gary Moore songs! I do enjoy practicing though :slight_smile:

Thanks lots for your input Nick. I’m going to do some experimenting with my amp on the weekend. Re vibrato, it is really something I need to develop. I’m going to go through some lessons again, and also check out your suggestions - thank you!

1 Like

Thank you Sandy, I’m thinking this will be a 2022 project!

1 Like

Thanks Toby. Oh to be able to play the songs we want to play!!! Practice practice practice :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks Darrell. With my limited knowledge / use of pedals I have not yet used more than 1 at a time so the order has not been an issue for me :laughing:

Thanks Jason. I was finding the 6:8 metronome a lot and am thinking to use just a single beat and 3 beats for every click (the song shows as being in 12:8 in Justin’s tabs, but I’ve also seen it as 6:8). That would eliminate 2/3 of the clicks. I’m going to check out a drum loop too.

Re sustain - I’ve heard some live versions where he seems to hold that 1 note for several minutes - hopefully input from all of you will help me get to 2.5ish bars lol

1 Like

Thanks Stefan. I’m finding the metronome annoying myself, and thinking about that it will probably be even worse for me through headphones. I’m going to do something else instead …

However long it takes Mari… I love these progress videos

1 Like

Thank you.

1 Like