Parisienne Walkways #2 (A work in progress)

I thought it was a month since I posted my first attempt at this - thankfully it’s only been 3 weeks, because if I’d given it the full month I’d be MUCH better by now :laughing:

Still got lots to work on. Apart from the very obvious bends (although I think they’re getting better), and the vibrato (which is pretty much non-existent), I really want to work on the phrasing. Next time I might try @Richard_close2u 's backing track. I played to a metronome this time, but if I do that again I think I’ll just play the metronome over headphones.

Any input / comments / suggestions appreciated. Maybe just a cut and paste from #1

9 Likes

Hi Mari. I’m not in a position to offer advice but I played both #1 and #2 and can definitely hear improvement. The double stop was great and your bends are a lot more accurate. Well done.

I agree about the metronome. Play it through your headphones. I thought there was a carthorse trotting down the road! :joy:

3 Likes

lol thanks Gordon @sairfingers . And I’m glad to hear you think I’m improving! :slight_smile:

Hi Mari,
I also definitely hear an improvement, and I am without a doubt that this will be super in now time, I myself have started with the chords of this song, … I will not start all these bends just yet … I please follow this. have fun with the last bits,
Greetings ,rogier

1 Like

Great progress Mari, all coming up nicely together. My suggestion is to put some compressor in to get your notes sustained for a bit longer. Other than that practice practice and even some more practice :grin:

3 Likes

@mari I can see and hear you’re making progress. Your bendy bendies are more on pitch, you’re starting to get a vibe and I think you’re bloomin’ marvellous for all of this. :star:

I notice a lot of tension in your left hand, look at your little finger and thumb. I think you’ve had surgery and this may be the consequence, or is it that Gordon’s carthorse is about to run you over? That kind of tension drains energy and you know only too well that it can lead to injury.

1 Like

Hi Mari, you’re definitely improving, bends and vibrato are better.
I think you’re going to find it difficult to get the sustain out of your Strat to get that long note, I think that you may need more gain and perhaps try rolling a touch of tone off if you can on what I assume is your bridge pickup. It might also be worth trying the middle pickup to see what it sounds like.
On the FX pitch you could try a Tube-screamer (or clone) before the compressor it’s something that I’ve done in the murky past!

1 Like

Thanks Rogier. And yes having fun is my ongoing plan :slight_smile: You have fun as you work through learning the chords as well!

Thank you Maggie :slight_smile:

Re left hand issues, that’s actually a very good point, I do have issues with that hand but working on relaxing might be quite helpful - so thank you for the observation!

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions you guys. I have been wondering how I’m ever going to get that one note to sustain long enough. My pedal collection is very limited (looper, reverb, and delay), no compressor or tube-screamer. The tube-screamer is $100-$300 at my local music store, and a compressor pedal starts at $125. That’s currently out of my budget, based on how frequently I think I would use them. Amazon.ca has an Amazon Basics line of pedals, and I could get a compressor pedal for $25 Amazon Basics Compressor Guitar Pedal - Fully Analog Circuit : Amazon.ca: Musical Instruments, Stage & Studio
Do either of you have an opinion on something like that? Waste of my $25?

1 Like

I am a huge Gary Moore fan. 11yrs today, R.I.P. the greatest ever. Keep at it my friend. We may never be Gary but we can try to copy no better! I can play “The prophet” and “The loner” but doubt i would get the speed for this one! Keep her lit mate.

1 Like

I only rely on my Boss Katana Mari atm do my pedal experience is non existent :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: but Darrell is your man for this type of thing I am sure he will jump in straight away :wink:

1 Like

Actually Adrian that might work. I have a Katana 50 so will try some of the fx on it.I was using my VibroChamp tube amp set to British Voice and gain at ~ 7.5, but I will experiment with my Katana. Thanks.

@IrishDirtydog thanks for the encouragement. I hadn’t even realized today was 11 years he’s been gone, far too soon that’s for sure.

Welcome to the community, love your profile pic.

1 Like

In Katana you can set up on FX different type of compressor. I enjoy Boss type and D-Compressor where I ramp up the sustain to higher values. If noise is irritating you after playing with Comp you can go to noise gate and reduce background hum with it, it’s available on right hand side from Reverb tab.

1 Like

Thanks Adrian, I’ll have to be in front of my amp to understand half of what you said :rofl: but hopefully I will get the gist of it!

Listened to this earlier. It’s starting to sound good. My first thoughts were sustain and roll back the treble, which I see has been covered above. I’ve got to hand it to you; you are taking on an all time great with this one. You’ve got a good start on it. Looking forward to future progress posts.

1 Like

Haha no worries just so you know I was talking from Katana’s computer software perspective, not possible to do it with knobs unless you programme effects in, hopefully you have it all up and ready to go :blush:

1 Like

@oldhead49 Thanks Dave. Yes I’ve taken on a big one, it’s one of my Dreamer songs. It’ll take awhile, but I will get it :smiley:

I had tried to figure out the software when I got the amp and couldn’t, but now I will be motivated. Thanks.

1 Like