Peer pressure & sharing recordings

Hi Community

It’s over a month since there was any action on here but the topic continues to be read.
Incidentally, it was never about pressure. I didn’t write the title, someone else did. Pressure is something that is applied. An online community cannot apply pressure, but it can push. It was that pushing that I saw.
But It’s not there anymore. The community’s approach to each other appears more friendly and respectful now, talking to each other rather than at each other.
That can only be a good thing.

🎸 David

2 Likes

Maybe it never was ?

3 Likes

@TheMadman_tobyjenner

Oh it was there, Toby, or I wouldn’t have seen it. Logic says that if I could see it then others would see it too.
So you have to follow the logical thinking. It’s possible that someone could have been driven away by it and if so, then the community has failed them and has also failed Justin by driving away one of his students. So the community has to cater for the possibility.
I think it’s catering for it better now than it was before this topic.

1 Like

I’m not going to post what’s really in my head, but I know that many people don’t appreciate that …(and not this either) … but say that many forum members did not have this or at least not enough before for your story … Really??? ??? … your logic may not be quite the same as everyone else’s, of course you are entitled to your opinion, but you are now putting things in my mouth this way,or at least changed my behavior,…and that it might be less is encouraged in the beginning of an introductory post is because many now feel a bit burdened by this topic, … and I think that’s not a good thing … but more than enough about this as far as I’m concerned…sorry to everyone for this rant…

3 Likes

I see the community as friendly and respectful as always, but to each their own i guess :man_shrugging:t2:

5 Likes

Err… it seems a bit pointless to argue whether a problem ever existed in the past, when no one seems to think it is a problem now?
(I’d like it on the record that I was never respectful to Roger :laughing:)

7 Likes

I think the discussion has been had and its now time to put this topic to bed and get back to learning to play guitar and sharing our musical experiences and enjoyment. The community approach has always been friendly and respectful. If it wasn’t friendly and respectful there’s no way I would have shared any of my recordings with you lot, I’d have hid in the shadows :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I appreciate all the advice and support that I have received from the community as its helped me develop and build confidence as I have progressed through the beginners grades. The one thing that has happened over the past month is that there has been a lot of new folk joining and making positive contributions to the community. So lets put this topic aside and focus on continuing to support one another on our guitar adventures.

12 Likes

:joy: :rofl: :joy:
This hurt my belly…

4 Likes

I do not know if I am doing wrong with adding one more post to this topic that have been somewhat divisive, but I think that if any friendly invitation to take the big step of sharing an audio or video of you playing (AVOYP), had been phrased in a way that could be interpreted as pressure or push to do so by anyone not ready or interested in doing it, now all that we have read or participated in this topic can, if deemed necessary, make adjustments to that phrasing. For me those invitations have been no more than the older guests showing the newer guests the house and making it home for everyone. Let’s go back to help each other with our guitar learning and to enjoy watching and listening the progress of the fellow guitar students of this community through their AVOYPs and provide them with encouragement and advice.

5 Likes

@roger_holland Hi Rogier, you’re quoting part of a sentence and commenting about it out of context. I hope you aren’t trying to imply that I thought the community wasn’t friendly and respectful before this topic because I never said that. What I said is that it’s “more” friendly and respectful now.
I don’t think the community is burdened by this topic, people are more aware of this issue and that awareness comes across in their replies by being more friendly and respectful.

As for my logic being different to everyone else’s - I invite you to come up with some logic that says the possibility, which I describe in my previous post, is not possible.

@KevinKevan Hi Kevin, yes the community has always been friendly and respectful, even more so now.

@brianlarsen Hi Brian, it’s not about the past, it’s about the future. I think I’ve already covered it. You can’t know whether anyone thinks there’s a problem unless they tell you.

@dobleA Hi Andres. Yes, exactly. People have made slight adjustments to their phrasing because of awareness raised by this topic and they’ve done it in a good way. And that’s all that was needed.

@Socio Hi James, yes I agree it’s time to wrap this up, which is what I was doing yesterday. All is good as far as I’m concerned.

Right, I’m off to play my guitar.
🎸 David

Well you’ve made your point … after a month coming to say that you did so well and made it better (in your eyes) in an already not so pleasant way/topic,…I think have I been clear enough,…if not so, then anyway ( is a saying here)…I don’t want to waste any more words on this …I didn’t like it in the beginning, and I’m not going to like it here now here in this thread…a big lock on it as far as I’m concerned…

@BurnsRhythm
We’re glad you determined things are better now.

Though, I think that was quite an unnecessary way to be reviving and old thread on a topic that was already considered questionable by a large portion of active users.

I determine more than enough has been said about this by now and I’m closing the topic, to avoid it being revived again later, distracting others with this.

12 Likes