Peter's Learning Log with Rorystrat

Hope the laptop stays working, Peter. Have you considered saving the videos on a cloud-based server?

You are already an advanced in my book :rofl:

Anyone that has followed my ramblings on here will know that my passion is the 2nd wave British Blues players (the 1st wave being BBKing etc.) And most notably Rory Gallagher, Paul Kossoff and Peter Green. In Module 17 Justin talks about focusing your goals so I thought that styuding 3 diverse styles would be too much. Some may think that those 3 were all the same but they all had different styles. Rory and Koss were quite unique but Peter Green was more of a straight blues player. For those that don’t know he replaced Eric Clapton in the Bluesbreakers and is the only one BB King claimed gave him cold sweats. So I was concluding to consolidate my studies of Peter Green.

Pure coincidence, yesterday I had an email from Gibson launching a Peter Green signature Les Paul “Greeny” now owned by Kirk Hamnett. The hand made Gibson Custom Shop aged versions at $50,000 are already sold out. Damn! The next level of spec are $19,999 (about what I paid for my first flat!). But they say they are doing a non-aged Standard so I might be tempted if it’s at a reasonable price.

In continuation of my treatise on older guitarist not being able to improvise. Here is said Kirk Hamnett playing “Greeny” at Mick Fleetwood’s get together to celebrate Peter Green. The song is Green Manalishi which is one I am trying to fine-tune at the mo. Kirk’s solo is decidely mediocre and that’s not just my opinion read the comments. You would have thought that on such an occasion he might have come up with something better. Green himself did play solos on this live and I have a recording so he could have copied that. But Green was about 24 when he left Fleetwood Mac and was much younger proving my point:

3 Likes

Can’t go wrong studying the play of those three, Peter.

What a fantastic song, so heavy. And Hammett may be a a great guitar player but Peter Green was beyond great, I think. I wish the audio was better on this video of a live performance by Fleetwood Mac: 1970 Fleetwood Mac - Peter Green - The Green Manalish Live Sweden - YouTube

Thanks David. Yes that is the live version of Manalishi that I was referring to. I think that was recorded in Boston and nowhere near Sweden. Legend has it the the solo at the very end Green is playing it on a six string bass guitar! I believe there is a new CD of the FM Boston gig but I’ve not found it yet in HMV. The sound on that might be better. I have numerous bootlegs of live concerts where the sound quality is considerably worse than this example though. Most were recorded on battery operated portable cassette players back in the day.

1 Like

Andertons now has this listed at £3,000. I don’t know how they can justify a price tag of twice that of a standard just cos it’s a signature model? Despite being a massive Peter Green fan, I’m less tempted as way out of my price range.

1 Like

Pretty much finished Grade 3. Need to do Grade 3 of the music Theory. I also skipped the lessons on Happy Birthday and Greensleeves so might go back and do these just in case there were any gems I missed.

Despite my best intentions, after dragging my brain through several lessons on the E shape Barre chord, I’ve skipped around in the Blues Guitar lessons which is where my heart really lies. These have been both Grade 4 and 5 so I’m somewhere in there at the moment. I occasionally go back and do a lesson I’ve skipped over.

I think I might have mentioned that, before I started right back at the beginning, I had already done the non-Jazz portions of Grade 6. I guess that from then onwards advanced equates to learning jazz guitar. That’s until more Grades are available.

2 Likes

Well after a year’s absence I’m back with the guitar. After work, I found that I was just crashing out on the sofa at night in front of the TV so needed something to occupy and stretch my brain. This means learning new things and perfecting what I already know.

I’ve started looking at the Jazz elements of level 6. I’ll go back and fill in anything I’ve missed on the other levels.

3 Likes

It’s interesting to see on here currently that a number of people are working on Brothers in Arms by Dire Straits. This is a piece I have wanted to do and particularly due to the guitar tone.

There comes a point in this guitar journey when your fingers can play whatever your brain tells them to do. And from that point, the limiting factor becomes the brain and not your technique. The challenge in Brothers in Arms for me is remembering all the parts and that’s a brain issue. Interestingly the likes of Knopfler play these things differently live and not identical to the recording.

So I’ve found and gone through Justin’s lesson on BIA. But I’m beginning to wonder if I’m more likely to learn/remember the parts if I discover them for myself…

In the meantime, I read that I had previously nailed my colours to the Peter Green mast and committed to focusing on his stuff. However, I’ve found that it’s Paul Kossoff and his body of work that’s motivated me again to come back this time so I’m back on that road at the mo.

1 Like

Welcome back. Look forward to recordings from you when you get there, Peter. As always good taste in players

Thanks David and hello again to you and all here. I’m currently working on Peter Green’s version of The Stumble and last night I worked out Paul Kossoff’s solo on Free’s “I’ll be Creepin’” a live version. I find the studio recordings are confused by multi tracks and the live solo is twice as long. Got to remember it all though now.

As we are now immersed in the blues, here’s a reminder of my rendition of Peter Green’s “Need Your Love So Bad” from over a year ago. More Greeny to come:

https://youtu.be/ctROCi-SbS8?si=bUTYKkQvimirykQt

1 Like

Rory Gallagher

That is quite very very very very good :scream: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :wave: :wave: :wave:,

I hope that many will find it in Your LL … and to get back to your question about Rory Gallagher … I quickly scrolled through 3 playlists and I could not find , but there will be a lot more added later …so …

Man this is so nice :sunglasses:

Greetings

1 Like

@roger_holland Thanks Rogier that’s very kind.

The mojo departed shortly after recording this. It’s only just come back and I don’t know how long it’s going to stay this time. It’s a challenge to know where to go from here.

Peter

1 Like

I’ve filled in most of the modules that I might have skipped and have started to look at the next level. As there isn’t a Blues level beyond BLIM I’ve begun to Jazz up my blues. So I will start a new Jazz learning log following the lessons from courses 6 and 7

1 Like

It helps to review ones objectives and progress and practice routine occasionally. Others have kindly commented on my “pup” in videos I posted; but pup he ain’t. He is now quite getting on in years. And so I felt guilty about leaving him when I went out and then falling asleep on the sofa when I got home. So I started playing guitar again to keep myself awake, keeping him company and occupy my brain.

I now have YouTube on my smart TV so I can absorb lessons on that whilst on the sofa next to said dog with guitar on lap. I have a couple of amps plugged in in front of me one of which is an old Marshall solid-state practice amp. The screen on the TV is also much larger than my laptop which is an added bonus.

I now find I prefer lessons and tutorials where they tell you where to put your fingers in the video rather than refer to sheet music, chord charts or tab. That means I don’t have to lookup things on the smart phone or laptop. Getting up to work at the desk on the laptop, which I find I still occasionally do, kinda defeats the object.

One downside is that watching Justin’s videos on the smart TV does not get reflected in logging practice on the JG website. So I have to remember to go back and mark a lesson complete when I log in. Sometimes I find I do the lesson again; I guess that’s an age thing.

Many have comments on the forum that this journey is a marathon not a sprint. I don’t know where that concept came from. When I started out as a kid I wanted to absorb everything very quickly to get up to speed so to me it was a sprint. So I have developed to learn guitar relatively quickly though now that I’m older some disciplined things, like arpeggios, are becoming more of a challenge.

Here, warts and all but for the record, is a work in progress that has been brewing for a while. I find it difficult moving from the electric rorystrat to acoustic. Electrics are a lot easier to play.

This is a traditional song “Willy O Winsbury” that I am developing in the style of Bert Jansch. The first part I’ve put some vocals to give the listener an idea of the tune. I would like to be able to do this in the style of @Alexeyd (one can hope) and at the end I have attempted to do solo melody with chords. It’s a long way off and don’t know how long I’ll persevere with it.

2 Likes

You mean something like this?

There are tabs…

BTW, is it an Artwood series Ibanez in your hands?

Yes @Alexeyd just like that. but he’s missing a chord. He goes to C after the Bmin and it should be Emin to my ear.

I didn’t know there were tabs though.

My acoustics are Fender. My first electric was a semi-hollow Ibanez but I sold it cos it wasn’t cool and got a Strat. = brand loyalty.

1 Like

Well I’ve got the tab for Willy O Winsbury now so I’m going to have to persevere with it. Thanks @Alexeyd for the heads up.

Progress will be reported. In the meantime I’ve also managed to extend my Transcribe license to my ancient laptop from my Mac so have more flexibility there as not so desk bound.

1 Like