Peter's Learning Log with Rorystrat

Hope the laptop stays working, Peter. Have you considered saving the videos on a cloud-based server?

You are already an advanced in my book :rofl:

Anyone that has followed my ramblings on here will know that my passion is the 2nd wave British Blues players (the 1st wave being BBKing etc.) And most notably Rory Gallagher, Paul Kossoff and Peter Green. In Module 17 Justin talks about focusing your goals so I thought that styuding 3 diverse styles would be too much. Some may think that those 3 were all the same but they all had different styles. Rory and Koss were quite unique but Peter Green was more of a straight blues player. For those that don’t know he replaced Eric Clapton in the Bluesbreakers and is the only one BB King claimed gave him cold sweats. So I was concluding to consolidate my studies of Peter Green.

Pure coincidence, yesterday I had an email from Gibson launching a Peter Green signature Les Paul “Greeny” now owned by Kirk Hamnett. The hand made Gibson Custom Shop aged versions at $50,000 are already sold out. Damn! The next level of spec are $19,999 (about what I paid for my first flat!). But they say they are doing a non-aged Standard so I might be tempted if it’s at a reasonable price.

In continuation of my treatise on older guitarist not being able to improvise. Here is said Kirk Hamnett playing “Greeny” at Mick Fleetwood’s get together to celebrate Peter Green. The song is Green Manalishi which is one I am trying to fine-tune at the mo. Kirk’s solo is decidely mediocre and that’s not just my opinion read the comments. You would have thought that on such an occasion he might have come up with something better. Green himself did play solos on this live and I have a recording so he could have copied that. But Green was about 24 when he left Fleetwood Mac and was much younger proving my point:

3 Likes

Can’t go wrong studying the play of those three, Peter.

What a fantastic song, so heavy. And Hammett may be a a great guitar player but Peter Green was beyond great, I think. I wish the audio was better on this video of a live performance by Fleetwood Mac: 1970 Fleetwood Mac - Peter Green - The Green Manalish Live Sweden - YouTube

Thanks David. Yes that is the live version of Manalishi that I was referring to. I think that was recorded in Boston and nowhere near Sweden. Legend has it the the solo at the very end Green is playing it on a six string bass guitar! I believe there is a new CD of the FM Boston gig but I’ve not found it yet in HMV. The sound on that might be better. I have numerous bootlegs of live concerts where the sound quality is considerably worse than this example though. Most were recorded on battery operated portable cassette players back in the day.

1 Like

Andertons now has this listed at £3,000. I don’t know how they can justify a price tag of twice that of a standard just cos it’s a signature model? Despite being a massive Peter Green fan, I’m less tempted as way out of my price range.

1 Like

Pretty much finished Grade 3. Need to do Grade 3 of the music Theory. I also skipped the lessons on Happy Birthday and Greensleeves so might go back and do these just in case there were any gems I missed.

Despite my best intentions, after dragging my brain through several lessons on the E shape Barre chord, I’ve skipped around in the Blues Guitar lessons which is where my heart really lies. These have been both Grade 4 and 5 so I’m somewhere in there at the moment. I occasionally go back and do a lesson I’ve skipped over.

I think I might have mentioned that, before I started right back at the beginning, I had already done the non-Jazz portions of Grade 6. I guess that from then onwards advanced equates to learning jazz guitar. That’s until more Grades are available.

2 Likes