Peter's Learning Log with Rorystrat

Well, you could consider Em as C’s upper structure, I suppose. I think it’s fixable, anyway. Ping me if you need some help with this. I love arranging stuff.

2 Likes

I said earlier that I’d forgotten how to do this “Two-Step Candyman” so I relearnt it today.

When my parents split, I went to live in Germany with my Dad. On the occasions that I would go home to visit my Mum, I would buy whatever I could guitar-wise in English. One time I got a booklet which was by the BBC in support of a series they were doing teaching acoustic guitar. This was book 2 on Fingerpicking. Back in Germany I had no access to UK TV so I taught myself fingerpicking from the book alone. I never heard it actually played and only learnt it from the tab. Years later I had to travel into central London to get an album of Rev. Gary Davis recordings. Candyman was in the book and also on the album. This is extremely rusty but my fingers still seem to remember where to go afterall:

4 Likes

That was most enjoyable, even with a little rust and dust, Peter

1 Like

I was tasked getting more green onions from the super market ( it’s actually true), which made me think of our discussion yesterday…

Oh… That sounds familiar :candy: You might be rusty… But rusty on an high level still sounds good :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks @JokuMuu once the red recording light goes on it all falls apart and totally collapsed at end. I hope it can get better.

Note: F chord played with thumb in bass. Also D7 with thumb playing F# in bass

1 Like

It’s strange, isn’t it? The added pressure through recording even if it’s not playing live for someone…

I remember in the magnificent live club, Joe Robinson mentioned that this is often the preferred version for fingerstyle. Gotta go back to your video check if I can find it in all of your quite fast playing :grinning:

@JokuMuu It’s just my short fingers that make it look fast but I meant the left hand. It was a hint that I am not playing barre chords but using the thumb to play the low E string.

1 Like

Hmm… I must then have imagined the fast dishes from fret 1 to fret 5 and back :sunglasses:

When the mojo is low I often look to things like this for inspiration. You never forget the sound of a Les Paul through a 100watt Marshall at full tilt alas a thing now of the past.

2 Likes

Moonage daydream …nice one :slightly_smiling_face:

The day news came that Bowie died, I turned to my colleague and said “David Bowie is dead.” His only reply was “Who?!?”

David Bowie and his early records are most precious to me as my dear late sister was a huge fan. Both taken too early. Got my old acoustic out to see how it sounds and ended up playing this:

3 Likes

I’ve really struggled to play the electro acoustic, as one can hear from previous uploads, I put lighter strings on it at the weekend but not sure there is any difference. I guess I’ve been spoiled by my Les Paul. Anyway I got my old No 1 acoustic out to see how it sounded miked up compared with just plugging in the electro. I’ve had this old faithful since the 80’s and I think it could do with some new strings. For posterity, here’s a couple of things that I learned to fingerpick with: “Babe I’m Gonna Leave You” and “Streets of London”.

1 Like

Your old acoustic sounds nice still. Just imagine how lovely and invigorated it will sound with new strings.

I’m so sorry to hear about your sister’s early passing. It must have been difficult to play that song remembering her.

Googled Rev. Gary Davis. The name didn’t feel familiar. I tried reading a book about the history of blues once but never got far because it was written that badly. He was blind? He must have learned to play guitar and banjo by trial a d error and ear only … That’s fascinating.

1 Like

@JokuMuu Nicole, a number of the early guitarists were blind. They may have not been born blind but succumbed to some illness.

Rev. Gary Davis
Blind Lemon Jefferson
Blind Blake
Blind Boy Fuller

Playing guitar was a way for a blind person to earn a living. Most of these pre-dated the blues and started in the Ragtime era which is why there are a number of Rags like Buck Rag, Cincinnati Flow Rag etc. I believe they would also teach each other. Gary Davis is said to have taught Blind Boy Fuller.

Blind Boy Fuller songs were covered by Rory Gallagher which is how I got into BBF.

Sorry a bit of an anorak about this stuff.

This is one of dreamer songs that I’ve put up here berfore:

Blind Boy Fuller:

Rag Mama Rag

Step it up and go

Found this. Good to see it’s being kept alive:
Untrue Blues - one of my favourites

1 Like

I am aware of the names Blind Lemon Jefferson and Blind Boy Fuller. For some reason (and I have no idea why) I just never really realised that the “Blind” refers to an actual condition rather than an established blues player naming convention.

I love “Step it up and go”. Intuitively made me think of Bob Dylan… Googled, and sure enough Dylan covered it some website claims.

Thanks for the education. It’s most fascinating :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

The reason why I had the acoustic out was, watching videos via YouTube on my smart TV as one does, I ended up going down a Flamenco rabbit hole or rather black hole for a couple of days. What this confirmed, that I’d kinda already sussed, was that Flamenco is basically 4 chords. But apparently 80% is in one key of Amin. I won’t bore with the rest of the theory about the scales but it is the right hand that is the real challenge with some very intricate rhythms. I think I might put the acoustics away again…

1 Like

Hmmm… Rome wasn’t built in a day, you know… Maybe just give the flamenco a small rest. Things tend to look better after that.

My brain hurts…

I’m making a start here:

1 Like

Like this incredible guy, my brother is left handed but plays a right handed strung guitar upside down. There are other videos of this guy playing strung left handed. What a skill but bit of a challenge for Nitsuj.

PS: apparently Hendrix could do this too

1 Like