Peter's Learning Log with Rorystrat

Sorry to hear about the drinking problem…it affects most of us in some way.

I gave up on music when I got my first proper job back in London and got a rock-chick girlfriend without having to be a rock star. My half-brother was born when we were living in Germany. He married a South African girl and they now live in Dubai. It’s a small world.

It is

Eventually I grew up, just took more years than it ought to have done and thankfully no long term harm to self or others.

2 Likes

Now that I have relearned how to produce a multi-screen video, I can get on and finish a couple projects I’ve had on the go for a while. One of those is the Duane Allman solo to Stormy Monday. As a prelude to that, I mentioned much earlier on my LL that I learned the major pentatonic from Allman Brothers records. This little piece is what taught me. The original is buried somewhere in the 1972 Eat A Peach album which includes an extended jam live from Fillmore East that goes over 2 sides of vinyl if I remember correctly. After all these years I still can’t do it justice but it is a major study in bending and vibrato as well as playing the changes:

1 Like

February 2023:

So after well over a year, last night the 4 finger G fell in place and I finally managed Ziggy Stardust. It was odd because I don’t know why. I have not been actively practicing it and hardly picked up a guitar over the past 12 months or so. Justin says practice makes permanent. I read somewhere, on here or elsewhere, that mistakes are good because your brain remembers the buzz you get when you actually get it right and forgets the mistakes. So maybe that’s what happened.

Ziggy Stardust

Some work-in-progress on another song on my initial list above and a long-term project. “While My Guitar Gently Weeps” in the style of the late Jeff Healey. A lot more work to be done on this:

1 Like

Peter

Well played! Good version of a great song. I didn’t know of Jeff Healey. Have you seen Prince’s performance at the George Harrison tribute? Perhaps it’s the truly great songs that can be re-interpreted so often and so well.

Brian

1 Like

This song has some connection as, according to legend, George Harrison wrote it whilst at his parents house. His parents old house would be within walking distance from where I live.

This is the Prince version:

Prince solo in Gently Weeps

This is Jeff Healey at the Montreux Jazz festival with Philip Sayce playing the first solo which I am trying hard to learn:

1 Like

Who doesn’t? :dancer: :innocent: one must have a try, see how much work and time the intricate Rhythms require and then decide :blush:

I enjoyed reading through your Log and stories Peter :blush:

1 Like

Well I bragged I could do this so here’s and example of “Don’t Believe A Word”. Of course there is a slow and also fast version of this song:

1 Like

Peter

Brilliant demonstration of the scope for interpretation and re-nterpretation within so many great songs. I preferred the slower version which seemed to give the song more depth.

Brian

Thanks Brian. I believe that Phil Lynott wrote the slow version but the band thought it too slow for the album so they did a fast version behind his back. Gary Moore then covered the slow version. He did both at the Phil Lynott tribute concert which is where I borrowed it from. I can probably play the slower better.

I’m working on some BB King covers that Peter Green did in his Fleetwood Mac days. This is my work-in-progress on “All Over Again” which I think they only did live. Still got to work on the fairly lengthy Greeny solo which comes after the fade out here:

2 Likes