Phrasing With The Changes

Just a little exercise to remind myself to continue to work on phrasing, which includes being more conversational, playing with the chord changes, and to mix in a number of different elements when improvising:

8 Likes

Nice phrasing exercise. Doing that regularly will definitely pay off.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing, Clint. Firstly, it all sounded pretty cool, what you played and the vibe. But perhaps more valuable than the musical enjoyment, is the demonstration of a number of effective structure and patterns that you can practice to make time spent playing over a BT more mindful than just random noodling in the scale pattern.

I especially am reminded about that playing of a phrase ‘I like pizza’ etc. I know that one but it seldom comes to mind when I have guitar in hand and BT playing. Something to make a mental note of and spend more time exploring.

1 Like

Hi Clint,
Liked it :sunglasses:,…and :rofl: :joy: :rofl: You hurt my back for a short while, :joy: but it was worth it :rofl:,…and now I’m hungry :joy:
Thanks, and Greetings

1 Like

Hi Clint - Thanks for sharing… that was very tasty and looks like a great little exercise.

1 Like

Hey Clint,
I liked this little ditty. The playing was good, the vid was better. I have been looking into triads of late and aim to get more into them. Though my skill with the pick and or new to me, fingers, would have to improve a bunch to pull it off. Now when it comes to food, it would seem we have some common ground there in what we like! I had both tacos and pizza of late and not sure what is best, but I lean pizza. :slight_smile:

Take good care and may 2023 be good to you!
LB

1 Like

I love-love-love the silly phrase approach. I was doing some very early and simple G major scale pattern 1 improv work with a student recently and I encouraged the use of silly throw-away nonsense comments as a framework. We used
“I need co-ffee”
“Could I have a coffee please”
“Do you want cream and su-gar”
etc. etc.
It was fun and broke the ‘what do I play’ barrier.

Seeing you do this makes me smile! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Improvising is defiantly a different animal. Hearing the melody/phrasing in your head is half the battle. Ultimately it boils down to telling a story.

Thanks for the listen and comment DP! This was mostly a scratchpad note to myself.

Thank you sir! I recommend the extra cheese and sauce. :slight_smile:

Thank you sir!

Thanks LB! Triads are good. :slight_smile:
All the best to you and yours.

Thanks sir Richard! Upon second thought it’s kind of boring to explain things. I may need to do a re-release.

1 Like

Nice musical variations going on here, Clint.
I like the way you let your whole body sway to keep time.
All these little ‘etudes’ are cool, but don’t forget to throw us a full-length soul-felt sing-along every now and again :smiley:
(Which came first: the guitar or the hat? :laughing:)

1 Like

Thanks for dropping by BL! The guitars came first. I have two epis.

Seems as though I have to do the body movements, foot tapping and such to feel the beat/rhythm. It can’t be helped at this point. :slight_smile:

There are some strummer tunes bouncing around at all times.

Nicely played Clint. You have me hungry for lunch now!

1 Like

Thank you sir! That’s the main takeaway, tacos vs pizza, it’s a huge decision. :wink:

1 Like

This is a great inspiration for us as we must keep in mind that music should be MUSICAL (hence its name). Thanks!

1 Like

That was a fun and inspirational video Clint. I’ll have to think up some phrases of my own. Mexican food gives me heartburn. :joy:

1 Like

Tacos with salsa and sour cream please.

An enjoyable video CT. I liked the funny phrasing.

1 Like