Playgiarism (original-ish šŸ¤£)

The sun is shining. Iā€™ve had a good nightā€™s sleep and I believe Iā€™ve shaken off the worst of my cold.
Itā€™s a good day! :smiley:

And what better way to enjoy life than have a bit of guitar fun? :sunglasses:
I had most of the lyrics hanging around waiting for a tune and after the weekendā€™s (underwhelming) OM performance, I decided to use the tune of the Townes Van Zandtā€™s song I played, Marie , and do it in the style of Skyscraper Stanā€™s Man Misunderstood (alternate bass notes with hammer-ons and muted hits). I added in a ā€˜biblical bridgeā€™ to break the monotony and lifted the video from a weird YouTube site I found yesterday, called ā€˜The Vapeā€™. I even kept the audio to provide ā€˜ping pong ball percussionā€™ :laughing:
(Very roughly edited in Reaper and MovieMaker with a slight bit of reverb thrown in)
Needless to say, I have no permission from any of the above-mentioned artists, but trust this will fly under the radar and even if anyone finds out they wonā€™t mind.
One day I will make/write my own stuff.
Promise :wink:

Lyrics

Cruising in my yellow car- Smashing this Game of Life
Four kids in tow, two pink, two blue, and a plastic token wife
I break my pacts. You die by dice in a marathon game of Risk
Destroy destroyers, sink your subs in strategic Battleships

Hangman ā€™s noose is getting tight, two guesses left to fail
Iā€™ll shoot to kill if you make a break from my Colditz jail
Colonel Mustardā€™s spread his clue all over the library
Take a chance. get out of jail. Itā€™s my Monopoly

When I was a child, I spake as a child, I under stood as a child, I thought as a child
but now that Iā€™ve become a man, I still play childish games.

Deal the cards- Gin or Bridge - itā€™s all the same to me
I play to win, canā€™t stand to lose. Got aces up my sleeve
Lifeā€™s a game. I break the rules. Some say I donā€™t play fair
I cheated- now my friends have left me playing solitaire (x2)

24 Likes

Hi Brian,
This will stay in my head for a whileā€¦ that ping pong bag of percussion completes it I thinkā€¦ :sunglasses: without it it wouldnā€™t have been half as funny so :sunglasses: :clap: :clap: :clap: :sunglasses:
Liked it very much :sunglasses:

I had to look it upā€¦no value judgment on my part can be derived from thisā€¦I just thought it was funny and I only read less than half of the whole story, but I assume that it is known to you, so it may be funny for others :smile:

ā€œMediocre writers borrow; great writers stealā€ ā€“ T.S. Eliot

Playgiarism is the term coined by author Raymond Federman that refers to the intentional, conceptual, and playful re-use of existing source material. In Federmanā€™s own use of playgiarism, he specifically remixes the different sources and versions of his own personal narrative to form that he terms a playful self-appropriation . Federman says,

1 Like

Aw thanks for pointing that out, Rogier :roll_eyes:
Even when I think Iā€™m being original and witty, you tell me itā€™s been done before :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

Loved it Brian!!!
Aggree with Rogier, that weird percussion thing made it awsomeā€¦
i also have a Van Zandt tune im cooking on, maybe one day :grin:

2 Likes

Ooonee, I completely assumed that you were aware of this of courseā€¦ otherwise I would have let you know much more subtlyā€¦ :roll_eyes:
Ha ha this is really me ā€¦ :elephant: and porcelain cabinetā€¦ :smile:

1 Like

Mange tak, @tRONd, much appreciated :smiley:
Iā€™ll look forward to your song when itā€™s ready.

Ah yes, my friend, you Dutch are as well known for your ā€˜subtletyā€™ as ā€¦ errā€¦ the Vikings? :rofl:

1 Like

:see_no_evil:
I drink 1 coffee and sometimes less during the weekā€¦ sipping with concentration, reading and tasting a new flavorā€¦ and now itā€™s also on my pants :see_no_evil:

Now fixing my computerā€¦ been having problems all dayā€¦ and drying up too :confounded: It is raining hereā€¦ maar luckily I also laughed out loud :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I really like this song and Iā€™m genuinly considering to cover this in my solo set and give my personal spin to it.

The lyrics, the vibe, a memorable bridge. very cool!

one question though, as non-native speaker Iā€™m not sure how ā€œI spakeā€ and ā€œI spokeā€ relate. My English would have used ā€œspokeā€. Perhaps the point of the line is woooosh over my head just because of it but Iā€™m allowed to ask ^^

1 Like

You might want to cover- and CHANGE- my masterpiece?!?
Just where do get off, mijnheer? :open_mouth:
Oh, waitā€¦ :thinking: :rofl:

That has to be one of the nicest comments Iā€™ve received on the forum Lieven.
Much appreciated, whether you do or donā€™t.

Regarding the language, youā€™re quite correct. No one says spake. Itā€™s archaic, popping up in old texts and here from the King James version of the bible. A bit like Thy kingdom come etc.

1 Like

ah so it IS meta in this context :smiley:

1 Like

You are a master wordsmith, Brian. Your lyrics are your own, no plagiarism there. I loved all the little references, at least those that I picked up. And like the work of those fine legendary lyricists, I could pour a glass and contemplate deeply on my sense of meaning of it all.

Oh and the playing, percussion and video pretty cool too.

1 Like

Brian

Great fun!

Brian

1 Like

I know you love words @DavidP, so all the more appreciated :smiley:
I hope the raising of glasses does not raise the urates :pray:

1 Like

Super stuff again Brian. Loved the vibe and really loved the lyrics. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Brian

You sound like a lovely guy! :rofl:

Brian

Ah @Eddie_09, just missed you as I was typing :laughing:
Cheers for the listen and thumbs up :smiley:

1 Like

Hello Brian, thatā€™s a very catchy song. The ping-pong-percussion and the flowing rhythm of the melody are still playing along in my head, although the song has already come to its end.
I admire your talent for playing with words (oh, that suits perfectly to the songs topic :grin:), your astute way to express your thoughts.

I really like the overall monotony of the melody. That said, I nevertheless enjoyed the interruption you offered with the bridge. It was like the icing on the cake :cake::smiling_face:.

Thanks a lot for sharing this gem :hugs:!

1 Like

hah, thatā€™s great Brian! The tune along with the video is hypnotic. Did you slow the video down for the bridge part, or did it come oven-ready like that?

1 Like

That was a lot of fun Brian. I really liked your drummer. :drum:

1 Like

Yes but youā€™re so entertaining! (Although perhaps that line shouldnā€™t be italicized?! Since itā€™s the opposite of the original? lol)

Very cool original-ish song, Brian, lyrics and playing both. Great video too. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like