Please use the Community search facility!

Am I becoming a grumpy old git? Why are the same subjects/questions raised time and time again?

Can I suggest that before starting a topic about something, do a search. It saves others lots of time repeating the same stuff over and over again.

Rant over. :smiley:

9 Likes

No comment :smiley:

You shouldnā€™t need to suggest it as itā€™s one of Community Etiquette and Rules.

Does the platform not give that message when you prepare a new topic and suggest similar topics :roll_eyes:

7 Likes

Unfortunately, its a part of every single forum Iā€™ve been a member of since the 90ā€™s. Itā€™s not going to change here Iā€™m afraid Gordon.

Your other point about being a grumpy old git. Not to me, but others opinions may vary. :rofl:.

Cheers, Shane

9 Likes

The thread you objected to was, in my opinion, different than the one you suggested. The poster asked if there was anything wrong with staying with .6 picks; you referred to a thread asking the general question of ā€œwhat pick do you use.ā€ Different enough I think.

Also, on some boards (Iā€™ve never seen it here) people get scolded for resurrecting ā€œzombie threads.ā€ Itā€™s often difficult to know whatā€™s correct.

6 Likes

How about a FAQ for those frequently asked questions!

3 Likes

Good points.

I see this a lot all over the internet. People new to the topics donā€™t know whatā€™s been asked. And itā€™s a balancing act in my opinion, because there can be nuances like the pick question.

Also, without discussions there will be no discussions. Right?

For my part, if I have a question and all I need is the answer Iā€™ll do my best to see if itā€™s in the forum somewhere. But one of the reasons Iā€™m here is community, too. So Iā€™m inclined to find ways to discuss the topics Iā€™m interested in.

7 Likes

That made me recall that there are quite a few Q&A live stream videos on the main website where Justinā€™s answered a lot of frequently answered questions. The video pages have time stamps with the questions asked. So if you did have a list of FAQs you could just link to the appropriate video time stamp and get an answer straight from Justin.

1 Like

Circle Of Life GIFs | Tenor

1 Like

While I completely agree with the sentiment, and do search before posting, one thing occurs to me: sometimes one craves a ā€œconversationā€ about the thing thatā€™s puzzling them. That itch isnā€™t always satisfied by reading through old threads. Of course, reviving a zombie thread usually results in a new conversation. Regardless of whether a zombie thread is reactivated or a new, possibly redundant thread is opened, often people respond who havenā€™t been part of the conversation before.

I guess Iā€™m really echoing @thewritescott!

9 Likes

Ignore redundant posts if they bother you.

5 Likes

Nothing wrong with being a ā€˜grumpy old gitā€™-
ā€¦ as long as you know youā€™re being a grumpy old git :wink:

While weā€™re on the subject, I was wondering what folk thought about left-handed folk learning to play rightie guitar ? :thinking:

5 Likes

I have also seem communityā€™s and forums die due to a lack of interest and people posting.
If people just searched for stuff then said nothing you have google and the community interaction will dwindle, also people donā€™t always know what they are trying to say or ask.
It also gives others a chance to read the repones and jog there interests or answer questions they did not think to check or ask.

4 Likes

Yes Gordon, youā€™re being a grumpy old git. :smiley:

Telling people they should go read instead of asking questions and chatting about their guitar learning experience isnā€™t a community - itā€™s a library. Shhh! Quiet please.

6 Likes

Completely with you, old Scot :blush:, I still try to point this out to people quite often, but I donā€™t often get support, so I do it less and lessā€¦ I thought I was one of the few who is slightly annoyed /(more a sigh) by itā€¦ that makes me a grumpy young git :blush:
Greetings

2 Likes

I agree with this. It can be frustrating to see the same questions again and again. But itā€™s natural. Communities that try and enforce the search-first rule tend to die and become non-communities. There are plenty of reddit subs like that.

So asking the same questions will happen, and better to let it happen.

Some will search anyway, you just never see their posts so donā€™t know itā€™s happening.

2 Likes

A healthy cross section of opinion to my OP. This Community is most certainly alive and kicking! :smiley:

5 Likes

For what itā€™s worth, you see it in your own user summary. Topics viewed vs topics created. Hereā€™s an extreme example, this guy seems to be an introvert :grinning: :grinning: :grinning:

Oh yes. So much fun :smiley:

2 Likes

:smile:
Hi ,You wouldnā€™t say it, but there is another one with even more deviating statistics :see_no_evil:
You 2 -758
That other one 20-8.700
:wave:

1 Like

Move along now folks, nothing to see hereā€¦
No point in drawing attention to the sad stats pages :roll_eyes: :rofl:

2 Likes

Problem is you have to decide on the best guitar and amp first. And then when to move onto module 2 :smiley: