Practical Music Theory Workbook - Grade 1

Download your Practical Music Theory Workbook, which includes your classic test for Grade 1.

2 Likes

I’m having trouble with exercises 16-17 of the test. Why, for example, in exercise 16, third line, should there be A after the A#? If we raise A# a semitone we find B, not A.

1 Like

Read the notes, their sequence and think whether the movement is clockwise or anticlockwise around the note circle.

Your understanding is fine, the question contains a trap that you need to navigate around.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Ahhhh, it’s just counterclockwise… the sequence of notes in this case goes counterclockwise… so it’s normal that A# becomes A! Thanks a lot for the clarification! <3

1 Like

If you are descending shouldnt we use flats?

1 Like

Should I watch the videos or should I just stick to the workbook only?

1 Like

Hi @Iodine, Definitely watch the videos and follow the workbook. They go hand-in-hand, and of course Justin is able to say more things in the videos than are written in the workbook. Have fun!

And - welcome to the Community! There are many good, knowledgeable, and helpful people here. If you’re inclined to do so, maybe drop by this page and tell us a bit about yourself!

3 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

No. Thinking that we use sharps for ascending and flats for descending is not a helpful perspective.

Is it just a new workbook or are all the lessons new as well?

1 Like

Raymond @LesPaulMoreRay
Yes there are some new lessons.
Michael

1 Like

About QUESTION 23
Which Instrument Has a Wider Frequency Range?
I would say Guitar as it goes from 80Hz to 7kHz (7000Hz), while the piano starts from 27.5 Hz, but only up to 4.18 kHz (4180 Hz).
However the quizz answer says Piano, can you explain?

1 Like

Hi Cyril, I’m sure someone will come along with more precise information, but here’s what I understand: the guitar covers a bit more than 4 octaves, the piano covers 7. I believe that implies the piano has a wider frequency range. I don’t recall a question like this in the Grade 1 quiz for PMT. Is that the quiz you are you referring to?

2 Likes

Hi Judi,
Yes, I am referring to the quizz at the end of the new workbook.

1 Like

I’m also checking on the new workbook and do have a doubt on that one, too. The A 440 is fretted on 1st (thinnest) string, 5th fret. Standard fretboards do have the octave of that A having 880 Hz and go like 4-5 semitones above that - that makes roughly something around 1 kHz (didn’t calculate this exactly, though). So how comes a guitar should have a range up to 7 kHz? Doesn’t make sense to me. :thinking:

2 Likes

Where did you get 7000Hz from? The highest pitch on a 24 fret guitar is 1318 Hz that would be an E6

2 Likes

Rick @stitch -
This appears in the new PMT Grade 1 workbook. It’s certainly confusing!

Practical Perspectives
Guitars only play notes between 80Hz to 7kHz. The second thickest string
on the guitar is the note A, whose frequency is 110 Hz. Piano goes lower,
down to 27.5 Hz, but not as high, only up to 4.18 kHz (4180 Hz).
We are aware of other higher frequencies above notes that we play. These
are naturally occurring harmonics; we’ll revisit the concept later!

1 Like

@Richard_close2u @JustinGuitar I think we need some clarity on where Justin gets the 7KHz number for the high frequency on a guitar. I haven’t looked at the grade 1 PMT since it come out so just look at the updated lesson Judi quoted and where Cyril got his info. In the video and in the text below it Justin says a guitar goes up tp 7KHz. Every source I can fine is no higher than about 1300Hz.

3 Likes

Thanks for raising the questions and digging in to this issue.
It is an issue and I’m contacting the team to seek correction.

I created this table showing the range of an 88 key piano and a 24-fret 6-string guitar.

The piano definitely has the widest range. 100% The PMT book needs an edit.

3 Likes

This might explain, not sure if it is correct. Refers to amplified/distorted el. guitar, I believe.
I also found all major modeling amp/software producers recomend capping highs around 5kHz. Guitar Pedal X - News - Electric Guitar EQ

-

1 Like