Practical Music Theory Workbook - Grade 1

Download your Practical Music Theory Workbook, which includes your classic test for Grade 1.

2 Likes

I’m having trouble with exercises 16-17 of the test. Why, for example, in exercise 16, third line, should there be A after the A#? If we raise A# a semitone we find B, not A.

Read the notes, their sequence and think whether the movement is clockwise or anticlockwise around the note circle.

Your understanding is fine, the question contains a trap that you need to navigate around.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Ahhhh, it’s just counterclockwise… the sequence of notes in this case goes counterclockwise… so it’s normal that A# becomes A! Thanks a lot for the clarification! <3

1 Like

If you are descending shouldnt we use flats?

1 Like

Should I watch the videos or should I just stick to the workbook only?

1 Like

Hi @Iodine, Definitely watch the videos and follow the workbook. They go hand-in-hand, and of course Justin is able to say more things in the videos than are written in the workbook. Have fun!

And - welcome to the Community! There are many good, knowledgeable, and helpful people here. If you’re inclined to do so, maybe drop by this page and tell us a bit about yourself!

3 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

No. Thinking that we use sharps for ascending and flats for descending is not a helpful perspective.