Practical Music Theory Workbook - Grade 1

Cyril, I checked the Workbook (re-downloaded), it is properly updated as mentioned by Richard @Richard_close2u. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yep but I did the DOH thing. Opened in the browser but didnā€™t save to the PC. :clown_face:

2 Likes

every time i check this topic i feel like being back at school in physics or maths

1 Like

Deborah @MacOneill
I know what you mean but I like the science behind these sort of things.
Michael

3 Likes

Hi Lisa, :slight_smile:
I am talking about the change he mentioned today at 9:59am.

The new lesson page:

Practical Perspectives

Guitars only play notes between 80Hz to 1.31kHz. ** The second thickest string on the guitar is the note A, whose frequency is 110 Hz. Piano goes lower and higher (down to 27.5 Hz and up to 4.18 kHz (4180 Hz) on an 88 key piano) .

** NOTE: There is an error in the video - it is stated and written that the highest pitch on guitar is 7kHz. This is an error.

The content of PMT v2:

Practical Perspectives

Guitars only play notes between 80 Hz to 1.31 kHz. The second thickest
string on the guitar is the note A, whose frequency is 110 Hz. Piano goes
lower, down to 27.5 Hz, but not as high, only up to 4.18 kHz (4180 Hz).

2 Likes

Hi Cyril,

aaah, now I got your point correctly and yes, you are definitely right. My bad. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

no problem :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wowzers what a debate.

So as far as fundamentals go the frequency is a nowhere near 5k.

But I know editing in the studio that important frequencies exist from the guitar way above thatā€¦ we are into harmonics and overtones - but they play a massive part of the sound we hear.

Just as it shows in the video when I play a not on piano the spectrum analyser shows many notes above the note played.

So thatā€™s where I got the figure - didnā€™t think it would cause so much controversy and outrage :slight_smile: lol.

Iā€™ll see if I can tweak the video to clarify, but unlikely to be right away as I have other fish to fry right now! J

4 Likes

Maybe one reason so many of us older folks turn to guitar is that they play in frequency ranges we can still hearā€¦

2 Likes