Practice Amp for 1st Electric Guitar

That’s the one I am using too. Seems a decent introductory amp for a beginner. I didn’t suggest it because OP said they wanted an aux input for backing tracks and it doesn’t have that.

I have a fender mustang and it’s a good starter amp with plenty of available effects.

1 Like

Hey,
I just bought this one, small compact and has a slot for headphones.

1 Like

Can’t go wrong with the LT25. It’s cheap, easy to use and has loads of tone options.

I started with one. I think it’s also better than the other ones you’ve listed.

3 Likes

I have a BOSS Katana 50 EX, and have only positive things to say about it. Of course it might be a bit less compact and more expensive, but it has a lot of room to grow in terms of features. If you think that you might want to record stuff or go to a band practice for example in the future with it, I think its a great choice (for the EX version, you can get a GA-FC foot controller and switch between 8 sounds live, which is very nice).

For pure practicing, I am currently using a Mustang Micro as well. It is just a headphone amp, but you can send backing tracks to it through Bluetooth, and it has quite nice sounds imho (for practicing it is certainly enogh).

I am currently very pleased with this setup, between a tiny and very convenient, and a more fully featured guitar amp. Of course this might not be for everyone (the Katana is actually not that small, if you want to always carry it around the house it might be too big for you), but I wanted to share, in case anyone is interested in these devices.

Good luck with your guitar learning!

1 Like

Of those the one that stands out to me is the Orange Crush, but I would stretch the budget a bit and go for the 35 RT, it’s got a 10” speaker and an FX loop which make a big difference over the 20RT which has an 8” speaker and no FX loop.
The 10” speaker will definitely sound better and the FX loop helps a lot when you decide to add effects pedals, especially a looper pedal, no FX loop means the sound on a loop will include any effects (eg Distortion) which you probably won’t want! The other thing is that modulation effects are best added after the Pre amp. The looper pedal would be included in the Fax loop chain.
This diagram shows the typical setup:

Thanks, love all the responses and still looking at all the choices. Appreciate more feedback as I’m still learning. Thanks!

Thanks for the chart and reccommendations!

Going to have a closer look!

I am beginner as well and even tho I am a fan of oldschool ways I did choose the Positive Grid Spark 40. Nowdays I will maybe buy even the smaller one.
Its loud enough when you needed it to be, you can use headphones and even tho its bit bassy it can be tamed by the EQ. I am in love with the emulation of Vox ACs and ODS clean. The app is usefull and easy and good to try how certain effects work.

2 Likes

I’d suggest a Katana 50W. Best bang for the buck, in my opinion.

1 Like

If you’re looking for a tube amp, check out the Monoprice Stage Right 15W. Will do clean, crunch and distortion tones, plus it has an effects loop for your looper pedal and a built-in reverb.

1 Like

Man, that Katana 50W keeps coming up!

1 Like

It’s like a religion.

2 Likes

Its a good solid safe option I guess.

Plenty other sim based amps form fender/yamaha etc around tho

2 Likes

There is one thing I don’t understand about all this amp talk. They seem to have a zillion features and effects built in. For example:

Katana MkII now includes five simultaneous effects categories, putting the tone-shaping power of a massive pedalboard right inside your amp.

So does this mean you no longer need a pedal board? I have an MXR reverb pedal, so why would I want reverb on my amp as well? And if the effects are built into the amp, how do you change effects while you are playing?

1 Like

The Katana has a bunch of built in Boss pedals.

You can control them using a footswitch.

You may prefer a different pedal than one built in

1 Like

I too need to figure out the anatomy and uses of the amp gear.

Ah, yes.

Rear-panel connections for up to two footswitches or an expression pedal

So I guess you can program in what the footswitches will do.

This is looking like a bigger job than learning to play an electric guitar! :smile:

3 Likes