Practise Schedule

The studies on 5 min learning probably weren’t done with people who have autism. So all bets are off.

It still makes sense, though. Maybe consider some self experimentation? Spend a few weeks limiting things to 3-4 x 5 min sub sessions and a few weeks with 15-20 min single sessions and then see which you feel better about?

I am not autistic, but find myself drawn (sucked) into longer segments anyway. I am trying to boost my efficiency by catching myself when I do and switching it up. I hate timers…

3 Likes

Sorry, but you are on your own. Take control of your time and abilities and do your best. It’s what we all have to do. Do you want to play guitar or not? @JustinGuitar gives us a template and we follow it or we don’t. Put your head down and buck up or talk about what it was like when you tried to play guitar the first time.

@CT I am doing it and do play the guitar, all due to Justins books and instructions.

I have 2 very complex disorders that are co-morbid, because of this I ask questions for clarity and support, your post was unhelpful and a little rude.

My question was pretty simple, would it be worth me spending extra time on the things I find more challenging.

I am not a music teacher hence asking the question.

As a coach though I would always tell my students to dial back on their other training and do extra work on the skill they are struggling with. I however do not know if it is the same when it comes to music as sports skills.

3 Likes

Speaking as someone who also has ADHD, I had the same reaction you did.

1 Like

Hi A
I have to practice until I get it. Just like you. I do one thing at a time in smal busts until I have it down. I don’t have either of the AS but have brain issues due to Covid. It’s one thing at a time in 3-5 5 minute slots and then move on.
I also love Huberman

Good luck. Hope this helps
Don’t worry about getting behind

1 Like

Hello Aaron,

Just a quick general tip that has served me well so far. It may be of help to you.

For basic technique, skill development eg. palm muting, alt picking, bending, new chords, new scale patterns etc, I would put in 5 minutes as the maximum. But it has to be 5 minutes of 100% intense laser focus on that one single skill.
If you feel you need some extra on a particular skill, do another 5 minutes later on in your practise session.
For practice items that combine multiple skills, eg improvising, learning a song/ chord progression etc, extend to 10 minutes max.

Cheers, Shane

3 Likes

+1 from me on Clint’s reply. We all have issues of one sort or another. Identify them and deal with them. Sounds harsh but life is harsh.

2 Likes

Wow, what a lot of uncool replies to someone with mental health issues. I didn’t expect that from this usually supportive community. :slightly_frowning_face:

4 Likes

It’s a little bit of tough love. Follow the course as best as you can, you will get there. Be an inspiration, an overcomer. Here are some inspirational players:

Hi Aaron @AaronAddams,

Following through on your coaching example here. I’m coming from the point of view of a running coach. Absolutely, practice what we don’t know (or need to improve). BUT - if in a given practice session our form starts to fall apart, it’s time to give that thing a rest for the day, and do a cool down. Here’s how I’ve transferred that to guitar: Absolutely do my 5 minute session for each skill in my routine. When I’m done with the routine, I may come back to a specific skill again. But as soon as I notice I’m executing my practice worse than when I started, I put that skill aside for at least a few hours, but usually for the day. Then I practice some basics, either technique or songs. Not only does this improve the benefit of time spent practicing, it helps avoid injury.

If you’re interested in discussing how we might refine this concept further, I’m in! :smiling_face:

3 Likes

@judi

Thanks, thats solid advise, I am doing my 5 min segments but have extra time, this is exactly the approach I take to Coaching for technical skills So will apply that and see how I get on.

Really appreciate you taking the time :slight_smile:

1 Like

@sairfingers

I think maybe you’re missing the point.
I’m doing my practise sessions as suggested but have extra time and was wondering if I should extend my 5 mins on the things I’m behind on eather than just noodling with my extra time

1 Like

Awesome, thanks :smiley:

I know the feeling. We are all do different. It’s that which makes us interesting. I’ve come across a guitarist called Ren. Not really my stuff. But search him on you tube. He’s obsessive like we are. He’s done great with it.
Just do it your way or a way that works for you and enjoy what you do.

1 Like

I forgot to mention - I struggle with palm muting as well. The technique sounds so simple and obvious, it looks so simple when others do it. I did find it helpful to choose a song to practice that includes some parts with palm muting (but not too many). For me, that’s much more effective and rewarding than practicing the technique in isolation. I’m actually improving and have a fun, challenging song to work on!

2 Likes

I personally find that my mind wonders if I do the same thing for too long. If you find that you are the same way, as soon as you feel that happening, stop. If you have a goal of 20 minutes and just did 4 minutes, then you owe yourself 16 more minutes.

1 Like

Hi, Aaron. I mentioned elsewhere recently that we are all tackling two simultaneous challenges as self-taught guitar players: learning to play guitar AND learning to teach someone (ourselves) to play guitar. Yes, the resources that Justin provides are extraordinary, but it’s still down to us to observe our strengths and weaknesses, recognize our learning styles, and adapt our practice to maintain progress and interest. Few if any of us have the training to do that, so we’re all kind of winging it. You clearly are doing all of those things and are looking for places to improve your approach. I’m impressed by your self-awareness and commitment to learning.

My understanding of the purpose of this community is that it is to help fill in those gaps. Since we’re all feeling our way through this self-teaching thing and using the same lessons, we might as well share our questions and experiences, because it’s bound to benefit someone else. And we see repeatedly that it does. Asking the questions you did here was - in my opinion - precisely how this platform was intended to be used. I commend you for taking that step, too.

I can’t add anything to the excellent responses that several people have given. I hope they’ll help you adjust your schedule in a way that works well. I also hope you’ll be comfortable posting questions in the future and not be put off by the few negative responses. I think people sometimes forget to employ empathy and that we’re here to support one another. As someone recently said in another topic:

“Make sure to go out and encourage someone today, you never know how you might just change their life.”

Words to live by.

6 Likes

Moderator intervention

Tagging @DavidP and @LievenDV

I have been alerted to comments in this topic.

For years we have worked to foster a respectful spirit of mutual encouragement and support. The very essence of this Community is that each and every one of us, with no exception or prejudice, may at one time or another need to ask questions or lean on others as we hit difficulties or frustrations and plateaus.
Whilst not explicitly written in our etiquette, there are certain fundamental attitudes that we encourage, and those we do not accept. There are examples of clear and supportive help in this conversation, directly addressing Aaron’s struggles which is all to the good. However, dismissing people’s questions in the brusque manner I have just seen a couple of comments to Aaron that fall a long way short of the overall character of help we hope that people are offered.

@AaronAddams stated from the outset that he is neurodiverse. That should be respected, and the public declaration of it seen and acknowledged - as many people in this topic have done. If you are unaware of autism and the challenges it presents then please take some time to learn. And refrain from commenting in this topic - especially if your words are going to be presented in an offensive manner.

Thank you.

Richard

11 Likes

I came back out of a vacation of 2 weeks, I’m sorry I couldn’t check this thread earlier.

As long time JustinGuitar team member it is always nice to read that @Richard_close2u can put our values into words exactly as how we feel about it. Even though we differ in style, character and so many things; these things we are always in agreement about <3

I’m going to bend the “we all have issues” comments. We all have but that’s exactly why we are here!

We all have challenges in life with some having more impact on the topic at hand: learning to play the guitar.

I consider myself lucky that my personal challenges would probably be considered by most as “small impact” although they challenge me on a daily basis to persue things in life.

Therefor Thank you @AaronAddams for being open about this and I think you raise a good point.
This helps in managing the expectations.
You stated that you benefit from a rigid structure and concrete steps.

To incorpotate that into an answer to you could use:

I believe you can do both; you can create a schedule that combines your regular progress as your “extra attention to rusty area’s”.

Practise cycles?

I would suggest you could try to work in 2-day or 3-day iterations.
1 day: regular practice blocks as you are use to do
1 day: focus on rusty bits and a small chunck of regular practice
optional: 1 day: 50/50

The clue for you is: self-assessment: find a way to detarmine WHAT the rusty bit is and try to set a mesurable short time goal. figure out a way to do that sels-assessment in a structured way: example: a self-made score card where you grade your progress on your practice areas with either 3 kind of smileys, a 5 star rating or a number if that suits you better. after each cycle of 2 of 3 days, this assessment will not only pay attentino to rusty bits, it will also prevent some “future rusty bits”.

You could approach it as we used to do backups at work.
We made a backup every day
Every thursday we didn’t make a day backup but a week backup
every last thursday of the month, we didn’t do a week- but a month backup

You could use that method with tracking your practice, your progress and how you FEEL about it.

Why do I say this?

Because it will help you identify the areas you should fill in your shedule on “rusty bit slots”.
Also; as soon as you start to doubt your own progress, you have something to show and discuss with the help you call in.

So basically you’re saying you should start logging?

maybe I do but the important thing is to CLOSE the loop:
measure; adapt, do, measure again,…
if you don’t do anything based on the logs, it could still be useful as a kind of closure ritual but you will benefit more to couple assessment to your next action :wink:

7 Likes

Thank you and @Richard_close2u , this is really really helpful.

Some of the community reached out to me privately too and gave some great advice and support.

They were really helpful and kind.

I have already improved more this month than in the last the 3 combined, thank you so much for your support and the hard work you all put in :slight_smile:

6 Likes