Problems with the community on mobile

Is it perhaps on your tablet you have desktop view as a default? If no then keep this tablet forever :grinning:

Nope, for whatever reason I can switch back and forth on the tablet with no problem. Just not on the phone.

Thanks, I went to have a look and yeah, seems its affecting everyone.

I can’t seem to get to desktop view on my iPhone - I don’t think it would be very usable on mobile, anyway - what a bummer, I do most of my community reading and watching on mobile. I hope they fix it soon.

Currently (09.56 UTC) I can’t access either the JG website or the Community on my IPhone. I can however access them both on my iPad.

I clicked on the Mobile view on my iPhone to see if that would sort out the viewing issues and now my iPhone is unusable for viewing the Community, it just keeps flashing. I considered clearing my browser under settings but I have a whole lot of other tabs open and I don’t want to clear out everything. I use my iPhone 90+ % of the time, so I’ll just wait now.

This issue has been addressed in this thread.

You won’t be able to do it from the hamburger menu on your phone since the screen keeps reloading, but you can enter any JG Community url in your Android/iOS browser and change the mobile_view parameter from ‘?mobile_view=1’ to ‘?mobile_view=0’.

This forces mobile view off:

https://community.justinguitar.com/?mobile_view=0

And this would force mobile view back on:

https://community.justinguitar.com/?mobile_view=1

1 Like

Works fine on my Samsung phone although I do now get all the widgets (new, latest, etc) on every page.

Thanks. I typed in the address ending in mobile view =0 and that fixed the flashing. It came back when I typed in mobile view =1, so I went back to mobile view =0 and it works fine again. I’ll leave it like that for now.

Thanks.

Exact same problem here JK.

I also did this and have the same problem - the continuous flashing now.

What a PITA…

1 Like

Yes it is.
I used the link that Jeff put above and when I went to a fresh site and typed in that address the flashing was gone. I think I have the desktop view on my iPhone now, but I can live with that. When I typed in the 2nd address to get the mobile view it just went back to the flashing, so I used the first address again.

I’ve just done the same as @Mari63 and now have the desktop view on my iPhone. It seems to be working now and is no longer flashing. I’m not sure if I’m missing any mobile features now though.

How do you know if you have the desktop or mobile view on the app?

I’m not entirely sure, Stuart, I just used the address line in the link Jeff posted above that ends in mobile view =0 . The view in the main screen is different than before, the words are larger or something and it doesn’t seem to fit the mobile screen view you have to slide over a bit, but it’s usable.

Me neither.

I just tried to post from mobile and noticed all the formatting and photo insertion is missing.

Cheers,

Keith

To be honest I installed the app on my phone so long ago know I can’t recall the set up. I’m almost sure that I didn’t do anything apart from log in. Didn’t know you could get desktop or mobile views in the app.

It isn’t really an app. Just a link to the community website.

If you tap on the hamburger (three horizontal lines for menu) at the bottom right (on my iPhone) it has a link “mobile view” if you are currently in desktop. I forget what is says when you are in desktop, I am afraid to go into mobile view to find out. But something similar to “desktop view”.

1 Like

The only difference I seem to notice is that the formatting in desktop view is less optimal on my phone than the mobile view. It is just a little more difficult to read, a few things seem to overlap text and the biggest issue is that text in a long reply eventually falls behind the keyboard on my phone making it hard to edit mistakes. Manageable, but not a easy.

But, small things. I can still use my phone, and the overall function of the community site is still worlds better than many other forums I have experienced (that aren’t on Tapatalk, that works well, too).

I have just reported to @larynejg