Punk Rock Persuit - Rhys in Brisbane, Aus - a little about me

Hey all,

I’m Rhys, 40, dad of two girls, Brisbane Aus.

I’ve always been into music of many genres. I love how it can change your mood or enhance it.

I first picked up a guitar about 10y ago and started with Justins biginners song book, but it was something I tried for a month then stopped for a year then repeat. This time around I’ve stuck with it for about a year and I’m currently working my way through the back end of begginer module 3.

I’m a mad fan of punk rock and 80s rock. So my musical influences include bands like Greenday, the Ramons, Motley Crue, ACDC, but I enjoy plenty of other genres Mumford and Sons are another fav. Short term aspirations include being able to hit some reasonable camp fire songs simplified mumford would be awesome. Long term to be able to melt some faces like guitarists from 80s rock.

I played tenor sax in early high school days but gave music away as a pass time I didnt have time for but I always wanted to learn guitar. It means my music theory is starting from not a bad spot.

Current challanges for me, F-chord transitions are hard particularly to / from Aminor. I have a goofy little finger on my left hand which means it doesnt fit under the ring finger in those shapes. I do have an advantage because of it in my ability to reach a forth fret from index however.

Would be great to connect with other on a journey and a love of similar sounds. If you’re from Brissy and want a jam buddy that would be unreal.

Rhys

7 Likes

Welcome to the Community, Rhys. Glad you are sticking to the programme and making such good progress this time round.

Hello and welcome to the community Rhys. :slight_smile:

School of rock? Great film, It was on TV yesterday. :smiley:

2 Likes

Hi Rhys, I’m also 40, dad of 2 girls and from Brisbane. Woah!

Welcome to the community, check out the AVOYP where people share their playing. Best part of the community.

1 Like

Because you like Green Day: One take Basket Case

I can’t remember of school of rock was where I got that phrase but it describes those 80s rock solos so nicely it a must use expression in my mind.

We’re gunna have to catch up it seems

Welcome aboard!

Punk rockers take nothing for granted but take nothing from anybody!
That’s why you sohuldn’t be shy to experiment with the fingerings for certain chords if they form a physical challenge. :smiley: |

By all means, stick to learning the conventional way as well but consider this as well; as a complement, not a replacement:

Surprise or not, many amongst uf have a certain quirk that made us find other ways to do things. I think you’ll enich yourself and your playing by gently learning how a major scale works and how it is used to form chords. If you can find the notes on the neck and you know how to build basic chords, you can explore and find your own shapes. They might be less conventional or even a chord inversion but they could enable you to achieve more. Plus: as soon as you take the red pill and detach yourself from the “this is the only way to play chord x” mindset, your musical creativity gets more breathing space! Check the lessons on triads for example!

then again, you don’t have to take anything from me remember :smiley:

1 Like

Cheers mate,

Just punched through some theory modules in the last couple of days. Because of my saxophone back ground the first few modules were easy as. Just looked into the early lessons on the caged system today and triads were on the to do list as well.

My work life is gunna suffer :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Hi Rhys,
Welcome , And as for your work, there is a life to be learned in music theory…if your work suffers now it will never get better anymore :smile:…this is very addictive later in life it seems…guys and girls who have become “addicted” to this have become professionals (if only most of us had continued with it huh)…for us now applies better late than never
Have fun and see you in the “video recordings” section,
Greetings, Rogier

1 Like

Hi Rhys and welcome. Good to hear you have some music theory already… i have absolutely none whatsoever. I just learn songs and jam on my own mostly. Look forward to hearing some tunes in the AVOYP section soon

Cheers

Ross

1 Like

we’ll do a virtual jam soon mate

1 Like

Cheers again. Have updated my initial post to include a picture of the funky fingers.

1 Like

Hello Rhys, welcome to the community.
That photo and your musical preferences makes me think I should link and point you towards a certain Irish punk band:

Stiff Little Fingers

Here’s just a couple.

1 Like

Awesome. Right up my ally.

A bit of an update.
Just bought myself a Boss Katana 100 MKII.

Psyched!!!

2 Likes

Arrived today - had a play. Mind blown!!! :rofl:

Such a difference having decent gear from my 10W 3 dial amp. Immediately some of the song I’ve been playing that kinda sounded like the original sound 1000000 times better. motivation through the roof.
BOOM

2 Likes

Got a new rack today so I could have all the guitars out. Getting a bit of a collection together now .

4 Likes

Welcome Rhys! Hope you find some jam buddies. :slight_smile:

Long time since I’ve posted anything but I’ve slowly been chipping away.
Getting a reasonably good version of Greenday - Good Riddance down, have boulevard and When I come around pretty licked.

In new skills, I’m playing with string bending in the Jazz lead course. Nice photo of my first finger blister from playing. So proud.

2 Likes