Question about Keys - will these chords work with a capo?

So I have learned the song Stand by Me. Justin teaches the song in G with the CAPO on the second fret. From what I read having the capo on the second fret converts this to the Key of A…two semi tone steps.

Some new guitar friends have asked me to gather and play this song, but seeing their sheet music I see they are playing Stand by me in the Key of A.

If I am playing G, EM, C, D and G capo on 2nd fret
and they are playing in the key of A A, F#m, D and E

Will this sound ok? I know the best way is to experiment but I was opening to have this figured out before we play together.

thank you
Sue

1 Like

You will all be playing the same chords, just yours will be pitched slightly higher, Sue, due to the capo being on the second fret. Should sound good. Much better to play like this than having evrybody playing the same chords in the same position the same way.

2 Likes

Yes :slight_smile:

Some new guitar friends … are playing Stand by me in the Key of A. If I am playing G, Em, C, D and G capo on 2nd fret and they are playing in the key of A A, F#m, D and E … will this sound ok?

Yes :slight_smile:

And you have more options too.
Check this topic for a whole world of using the capo and playing in the same key.

2 Likes

Small correction on what David has said.

You will be playing in the same Key just using different chord voicings. You will be in the same pitch because the A note on the 5th fret of the E string is the same pitch as the open A string the only not you will be playing in a higher registration is the A note on the thin e. but it is still in the same Key. the Em is the exact same chord the capo is the barre the C is the same as an open D for the same reason as the G and A chords. The D(E) is the only chord that will be a high pitch but that’s OK because it’s still in the right Key.

Davids correct in saying. With you being capo’d it will sound better than everyone playing in open position so you’re good to go.

2 Likes

Playing with different chord voicings (thanks to the capo and using different shapes for the same chord) and separating the pitch is a great thing.

Capo fret 2 leaves you playing the same pitches (apart from 1). A capo positoin further up the neck gives other chord voicings and separates the pitches further meaning that guitar with a capo will be hitting notes the open position chords do not reach. The overall harmony of multiple guitars is really enhanced in this way.

It usually requires one or more barre chords and there is an optimal limit to how high to take the capo.

Forgive me if this is beyond your knowledge at the moment.

Shapes (with capo at fret 2)
G → Em → C → D

Roman numerals
I → vi → IV → V

Key of A (actual chords)
A → F#m → D → E

Shapes (with capo at fret 5)
E → C#m → A → B

Shapes (with capo at fret 7)
D → Bm → G → A

Shapes (with capo at fret 9 … awkward)
C → Am → F → G

The topic I linked has these very chords as a worked example and has Stand By Me as a blank template too.
:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you so much for the quick response!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you all

Followed the link, very helpful … :bulb: :bulb: :bulb:

1 Like