RAMBLiN MAN (The Allman Brothers) and Sixteen Tons (Jeff Beck feat Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top

Happy 6th anniversary Dave and congratulations on an incredible accomplishment. I’m just at the start of my journey but reading and listening to your achievements is a definite inspiration to keep strumming on

Cate

Super playing old head :slight_smile: lot of skills being used there, and you obviously work hard and put a lot of time and effort into making these - they sound great! Big respect!

Very happy that I could play a part in helping you shape your musicianship and that my lessons actually work :wink:

See you soon :trophy:

11 Likes

@DavidP " I’m near speechless." Haha. Never.
Thanks for the congrats. Hard to believe it’s been six years.

"Did you again transcribe both songs before recording all the parts? "
Yes. I usually try to learn and memorize the rhythm first. The bass and drums were not transcribed, I just made them up. Drums were recorded last. A bit unconventional but it works for me. And I like to record the whole of each track, beginning to end, with no post editing or cut and paste. These were recorded wet through my pedal.

“so many techniques displayed” Yep, learnd at Justin Guitar. These two didn’t leave much on the table.

Thanks for the “almost speechless” comments, David. Your encouragement and inspiration means a lot, not only to me but I’m sure to the whole community.

@batwoman “Yes I’m still turning up at local OMs. Currently @tony and I are rehearsing for one before he moves out of the area. It’s such a luxury to have a good guitar player with whom I can sing. I could become something of a diva” :smile:
Thanks again, Maggie, for the encouraging feedback. In my book, you are a diva! :grinning:

@TheMadman_tobyjenner Thank you, Toby. I knew there would be a few on here that would remember the original Sixteen Tons. Glad you liked this cover of it. Thanks for the feedback on the production and play. I don’t know that I consider my vocals dulcet, but I’m glad they come across that way to you.

@LBro Thanks, LB. “Though few probably have the tenacity and staying power you have displayed in obtaining this level of play.”
I think tenacity may be translated OCD. If you want it bad enough you’ll stick with it. Thanks for the kind words.

@Richard_close2u Richard, Thank you for that feedback; it means a lot.
While it does take the things you mention to improve, I really consider my improvement a testament to Justin and his method. It just works!!

@roger_holland Hi Roger. Glad you liked watching. I have a few on LBro’s YouTube channel (Blackbird, SusieQ play along and Sleepwalk).
At least I think they are still up there.
It took you a while to realize it was me??
“Almost speechless” DavidP?? He’s a rock here and we all love him.
Thanks for the great feedback and well wishes for the new year.\

@brianlarsen You are being to kind - “part of the furniture”. you left out “old” and “old man”. I should have sung "another YEAR older (74) last month.
I’ll be absent more this month and March as procedures are scheduled.
Glad you expanding your musical horizons. I appreciate that, and I appreciate your generous feedback. I must say that your offerings have expanded my horizons also!
The fire was a bad decision!! Nuf said. Glad you brought it up.
Yes, then ending was very abrupt, but I’m sure you know “abrupt” is translated to “no long fades” :rofl: I certainly don’t think of you and Maggie as being abrupt. Well…
Hey, thanks for the spin and nice feedback. Always a pleasure reading your responses.

5 Likes

Incredible progress after only 6 years. Congratulations.

@Willsie01 Hi, John. I knew some would remember Mr. Ford performances of this song. You and I are about the same age and I can remember this from my youth, too. That’s a cool radio. Do you remember a TV with about 10’ circular screen, black and white? I do.
I just happed to run across this on You Tube and thought it was a cool take on this oldies song.
MT Power Drums. All I can do is tell you how I use it. I play it through a keyboard, assign each drum/cymbal to its own track. That way you can adjust EQ and stereo position. Also, it helps to add compression and EQ. That’s about all I do. Even if you use the premade grooves, you’ll probably need some compression and EQ - you just have to be a bit more judicious in their use because everything will be on one track.
Thanks for the great feedback, and good luck with the drums.

@jkahn J, I appreciate the feedback. I actually told LBro when I started working this up that I might videotape it because I knew you and others had mentioned before about enjoying watching others play. I’m not much on videos only because my internet service is so bad it takes forever to upload them.
Glad you preferred Sixteen Tons. It was my fav of the two also.
Thanks for the “playing is incredible” comment. It’s a lot of practice, but a true testament that Justin’s methodology does work if you put the time in. Keep on with the rocking it.

@Mari63 Yeah, six years. Hard to believe. A ramblin woman chained to an accountant’s desk. That’s a word picture for sure. I appreciate the kind feedback, and hope all is well with you.

@LBro No pre-listens on this one, just finish and post. Thanks for the spin. Yeah, Beck was definitely one of a kind. I hope the next 6 years are as good, too, minus 2022 :rofl:

@alexisduprey Thanks for stopping by, Alex. Well the neck was on fire :smile:. Billy Gibbons is one of a kind for sure; love his music.
Alex, set goals and go for it. It’s amazing what can be accomplished if you set goals and are disciplined in your practice routine. I’ve found it’s better to practice every day at least 20 minutes, rather than 2 hours today and skip a day or two. At least it worked for me. And I “play” things that I know to warm up and practice and work on the things I don’t know and am trying to learn. You can do it!

@pkboo3 Hi Pam. Thanks for that nice feedback. Both of these were a lot of fun to put together. Wow a 45 of Ramblin. I may be mistaken, but I think was their most popular song, highest on the charts for them.

@Eddie_09 Thanks for the comments, Eddie. Very appreciated. After trying, on and off, for 50+ years I came across Justin Guitar and things started to click.

2 Likes

Absolutely fantastic mate. An inspiration to all us grasshoppers… if I get as half as good as you when I hit the 6 year mark I will be well chuffed… love the recordings with the video dubbed but have to say I prefer seeing you play as so much I can learn from watching you. Congratulations on the JG’VERSARY and Community Award.

@adi_mrok Hi Adi. Glad to be back, if only for a short time right now. I’m hoping after March to get back at it. I appreciate your generous feedback.
@ReneAsologuitar Welcome again, Rene. Thanks for taking these for a spin and for the really nice feedback. It’s greatly appreciated. Looking forward to more of yours when you get back.

@CateB Thank you, Benny. Man, the years are flying by. I’m truly glad these are inspiring to you. There are many people here who have and are inspiring to me. There definitely will be bumps in the road during your journey, as there are with all of us. But set your goals, stick with the program and you’ll reap the rewards.

@JustinGuitar Justin, what a surprise to hear from you, and thank you for the kind words. Yeah, a lot of time and effort, but it wouldn’t be possible had it not been for you, your team and this community. You have played a huge role in my guitar journey, and I thank you from the bottom of my heart. Simply put, your method works!!!
And thank you for the kind words in the Newsletter. The Community Award just blew me away! Looking forward to chatting with you.

@defkon Welcome aboard, defkon I appreciate you taking them for a spin and commenting

@Socio Thanks for the nice comments, James. You’ll get there! Keep focused and stay with the program, set goals; it will all come together.
Thanks for the congrats on the six years and Community Award.

3 Likes

@Willsie01

You can setup to use MT Power as the Digital Instrument on a midi track and select an option (I forget the details as to how as it’s been a while since I did it) when inserting that routes from the internal mixer of MT Power to individual tracks. If I recall correctly it was as easy as clicking an OK on an option pop-up when inserting.

When I first started I shied away from that, wasn’t sure what it meant, and kept it simple. But it is still pretty straight-forward once you get a little deeper into routing options. As I recall you use Reaper and there’d surely be Kenny videos on the details of that.

I’d say some EQ on kick and snare is generally necessary to get the desired thump and crack, also a little reverb does help, but not too heavy handed on that :smile:

The pre-set grooves in MT Power are excellent. As I said on another Topic, nobody ever complained about the drum tracks on my originals (other than sometimes to say they weren’t loud enough :rofl:) so you can go a long way with MT Power, preset grooves, and the routing to add the fx.

Rock on!

1 Like

Thank you. I’ll definitely be persevering now as it’s always been a long life dream of mine to play which I know will be slow but achievable. I don’t need to be the next John Butler but if I can strum without someone calling RSPC for fear of a cat being strangled, then I’ll be a happy gal.

Cate

That was simply great Dave, as Justin says all the skills you’ve built really show here! Bravo means something, but now I need to use my language more properly and say:
“Bravissimo!”, hoping you’ll get the meaning :blush:

Wow Dave. Two outstanding productions and performances. Once again I’m in awe of the time and effort you must put into these projects.
To be where you are after 6 years is testament in itself to your dedication and hard work.
Well done.

Well done on two great performances Dave. Like so many here, you’re an inspiration to those of us who are just starting out.

WOW :exclamation: THAT WAS GREAT :exclamation:

@DavidP @Willsie01 Great catch, David. That’s why you’re paid the big bucks! After reading your post I vaguely remember the routing thing. I never used it and just kind of forgot it. As you probably know, I don’t time-slice the originals I transcribe and learn, so it’s easier for me to just play in a drum line on the keys rather than slice the original to the grid. That being said, for a free plug, MTPD has some pretty good grooves, and fills. You’re right, it can go a long way for using the routing and fx.

Silvia, Thanks so much for the nice feedback. I know exactly what Bravissimo means. That’s very kind of you. Thank you.

Hi Gordon, Well, it’s getting shorter. It seems the the more transcription I do, the easier it gets, all depending on the complexity of the song, too. Thanks for the feedback; it’s appreciated.

Peter, there are many others on this forum who inspire and encourage,
so keep your ears open. I’m glad these cuts are inspiring to you, and wish you the best in your journey.

Thanks, Luc. I appreciate you stopping by and taking a listen.

3 Likes

Belated 6 year anniversary Dave. That was a great way to celebrate it. Your playing is superb. I hope you manage to get back in to it sooner rather than later.

I only have a really hazy memory of that.
Thanks for the info re MT.

The Kenny Gioia videos confirm what you’ve said David.

1 Like

That was great, Dave. What a production too!

That was great Dave, do you do requests.

A@ToshS
Thanks Tosh. I appreciate you stopping by for a listen and commenting.

@Jono Welcome aboard, Jono. Were you on the old forum? Seems I remember the “jono” name from a while back.
At any rate, Thanks for taking these for a spin and the nice feedback.
Do I take requests Maybe. Send me a PM and let me know what you have in mind.